Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #1779
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbone View Post
Since this is very off topic and should never have been brought up, this will be my last post on the subject.

Neither the ZL1 Corvette or ZL1 Camaro are production in the same sense as production car meant then or now.

Chevy just had a bunch of very smart engineers and made one off parts/cars under the Chevrolet name instead of a 3rd party race team like they have today.
Please explain. Especially the Vette part
Old 05-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #1780
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbone View Post
Neither the ZL1 Corvette or ZL1 Camaro are production in the same sense as production car meant then or now.

Chevy just had a bunch of very smart engineers and made one off parts/cars under the Chevrolet name instead of a 3rd party race team like they have today.
Actually, the Corvette ZL1 option was in the generally-circulated Vehicle Order Guide...any Chev dealer wishing to could have ordered one...

RPO (Regular Production Option) Code = ZL1, just like the quite RARE L88s...both engines were smog-approved and validated for Production. Even in California. Without a heater/defroster or radio, very few folks chose to...

Can a mass-produced vehicle be "rare"? Of course the answer is yes.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #1781
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
move to GT500 mega thread please.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #1782
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by besz28 View Post
Already posted a few days ago.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #1783
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Old 05-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #1784
camarofreak

Drives: 2011 Silverado LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
FYI...these are not "really rare" cars, they are not even "rare". They are mass produced...mass produced doesn't equate to "rare."
I'm sorry I said they're really rare, to me it's just something i have seen on the computer screen.

Last edited by camarofreak; 05-23-2012 at 02:48 PM.
camarofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #1785
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
You have to understand this. I came from the mustang fanbois land, owned one from 1986-2011. All the mustang crowd cares about is 1/4 mile! Go to any dragstrip and mustangs will outnumber Chevy and Dodge vehicles 10/1. Ford knows this and caters to it, comfort, handling, styling, braking, driveability are non important factors, thus why we have seen the same basic design of the mustang for nearly 8 years. Ford isn't going to loose in the strip battle, they may sacrifice everything else though and their fans love them for this.
Oh come on, you think the camaro camp is any different? Where is the thread with member lap times at their favorite road courses? I see tons of signatures here with ETs and traps, but never lap times. These are modern muscle (pony) cars. Regardless of your own preferences, the vast majority of BOTH camaro and mustang owners care far more about acceleration than road course performance. I have seen a few videos of zl1s at the strip here, but not even any talk of private owners actually tracking their new cars. I see some 03-04 cobras at track days, a few bosses have shown up and some fbods, but I have never seen a fifth gen and I have only seen 1 or 2 gt500s. People buy evos, stis, Porsches, vettes, s2k, miatas and mod them to hell for track duty. The track junkies hardly even consider the pony cars when buying. Camaros and mustangs are few and far between at the track. Also, just one more time, why do people keep suggesting the zl1 has better braking?

Last edited by 8cd03gro; 05-23-2012 at 02:18 PM.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #1786
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

u have been here long enough, u know we dont research stuff before posting. we just say what we want however incorrect ; )
Old 05-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #1787
eolson
eolson

Drives: 2006 premium Package Mustang GT cou
Funny thing is that I don't see a lot of Miata's posting 7:41 Nurburgring times. I was under the impression that the ZL1, as seen when head to head with the Boss, is at the top of the food chain for 100K or less cars when it comes to road courses. Erik
2006 Prem Pkg Mustang GT coupe. Saleen SC,10psi, 454rwhp,442rwtq, Complete Steeda/H&R, suspension change out, with weight loss, Techco Watts link, Stoptech big brakes, Race clutch, Alum. flywheel, Alum 1 pc driveshaft, 9x18,10x18 chrome bullit wheels, 285/40/18,255/45/18 nitto 555 tires. 3545 lbs currently. New car scent air freshener.
eolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #1788
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarofreak View Post
I'm sorry I said they're really rare, to me it's just something i have seen on the computer screen.FYI... It really doesn't matter that I said they're really rare it wasn't the point of the post.
gotcha
Old 05-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #1789
camarofreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
Oh come on, you think the camaro camp is any different? Where is the thread with member lap times at their favorite road courses? I see tons of signatures here with ETs and traps, but never lap times. These are modern muscle (pony) cars. Regardless of your own preferences, the vast majority of BOTH camaro and mustang owners care far more about acceleration than road course performance. I have seen a few videos of zl1s at the strip here, but not even any talk of private owners actually tracking their new cars. I see some 03-04 cobras at track days, a few bosses have shown up and some fbods, but I have never seen a fifth gen and I have only seen 1 or 2 gt500s. People buy evos, stis, Porsches, vettes, s2k, miatas and mod them to hell for track duty. The track junkies hardly even consider the pony cars when buying. Camaros and mustangs are few and far between at the track. Also, just one more time, why do people keep suggesting the zl1 has better braking?
Yep, muscle cars have always been meant for staight line performance and always (hopefully) will be. Being able to turn well is nice but i want to have better straight line performance.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #1790
camarofreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
gotcha
Sorry last part was kinda prickish. Wasn't and not trying to be condesending.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #1791
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by eolson View Post
Funny thing is that I don't see a lot of Miata's posting 7:41 Nurburgring times. I was under the impression that the ZL1, as seen when head to head with the Boss, is at the top of the food chain for 100K or less cars when it comes to road courses. Erik
I don't stand around talking about the nurburgring at the track nor do i see bone stock cars on OEM tires. 5 years ago the 'ring was a tool for dialing in handling dynamics, now it is the favorite marketing tool slash e-ruler for comparing manhood for guys that rarely or never track their cars. Even if the gt500 were to post a 7:30, it wouldn't be some magical definitive win. Head to head is what matters.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #1792
Doubleblank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2014 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
Where is the thread with member lap times at their favorite road courses? I see tons of signatures here with ETs and traps, but never lap times. These are modern muscle (pony) cars. Regardless of your own preferences, the vast majority of BOTH camaro and mustang owners care far more about acceleration than road course performance. I have seen a few videos of zl1s at the strip here, but not even any talk of private owners actually tracking their new cars. I see some 03-04 cobras at track days, a few bosses have shown up and some fbods, but I have never seen a fifth gen and I have only seen 1 or 2 gt500s. People buy evos, stis, Porsches, vettes, s2k, miatas and mod them to hell for track duty. The track junkies hardly even consider the pony cars when buying. Camaros and mustangs are few and far between at the track. Also, just one more time, why do people keep suggesting the zl1 has better braking?
Do you go to the track often? Has anyone handed you a lap time run sheet to document your laps with all pertinent data explained on the sheet? Not many do.....so how do you even document your times. The reason most forums don't include track time lists is that there are too many variables involved to make any list meaningful. Was the track running at full length or one of it's shorter circuits? Were the cars running on 18in Pirelli slicks or street tires?Temperature.....humidity......overcast...... best run.....avg run......other cars on the track or not?

And if neither Mustang fans or Camaro fans weren't interested in improving the handling of their cars for tracking or auto crossing, then how come Pfadt/BMR/BC/Pedders/name-your-favorite-supplier-here can't keep handling/tracking related parts in stock? I can see mod lists from both camps including tons of builds which include hipo handling parts. And not just parts for better performance at the strip.

If you want to see numerous C5's and GT500's run on tracks, head down to Texas.

And......just one more time.....if Ford wasn't interested in road track performance, then why did they sell me a Mustang 302R to race.......and offer a trackpak for the GT500?