Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
babyjulie83
driving! Thanks GM !!!

Drives: 2SS Camaro in ABM!!!
Unhappy I know nothing.....

Ok so today was the first time I washed my Camaro.....it did not go well. I bought everything I thought I would need to hand wash it. I have never hand washed a car before so I tried to read up on it a bit.

First I hosed down the car to just remove any dirt that I could....didn't use any kind of sprayer.....just normal water hose stream.

Then I put a little big of Meguair's gold class car wash soap in a bucket and added water. I used a microfiber mit to wash the car. I washed it in sections so I could get that section dry before any water spots.

I rinsed off the soapy area and then attempted to dry it with a shammy (i'm sure this isnt' the correct spelling but it'll work). Ok so I had trouble with the shammy. I did wet it first and wring it out....then I place it on the car and pulled it towards me......lots of water was left behind...which quickly turned into water spots. I tried to wring out the shammy more and tried again...still streaks of water left behind. I finally got pissed and just used my microfiber towels to dry the car. I started from the very top and worked my way down.

I noticed a little scratch on her drivers side 'hip'.....i'm sure this scratch is my fault from my failed attempt at hand washing the car.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm so frustrated and I don't want to cause anymore damage. It's pretty obvious I do not know much about cars....I just know that I love them. I love the Camaro's sporty lines and the power of my V8 but beyond that i'm clueless. I really want to learn how to take care of my Camaro so it lives long beyond it's golden years....please help!

Everything is better in a Camaro.......puts a smile on my face everyday.....
babyjulie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I think you needed a more absorbent chamois (proper spelling ).

warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
BrianGriffin78

Drives: 2009 GMC Yukon
Well it's very hard to scratch your car by washing it especially when using microfiber towels and wash mits and sponges. You have to make sure there are no pieces of dirt or stuff on the sponge/mitt. Sometimes it may get in there, rarely, but it happens.

As per waterspots, you should have one of those detailer sprays like Turtle Wax Ice and etc. That will get out any streaks, dirt marks, and water marks.

I've had my car for about a month now and it still looks like I just got it from the dealer. I've only washed it twice since then, and have used showroom car dusters to get off pollen and dust off, and have used detailer sprays to get off dirt marks, dead bugs, bird crap, and water spots.

One final tip...

DO NOT EVER TAKE YOUR CAMARO TO A CAR WASH!
Old 06-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

(There are some really useful threads if you do a search for car wash in this section for more info.)
But, for a "quickie" lesson, you should wash your car in the shade or away from the heat. Avoid washing the car when it is warm also.
Next, get yourself a "GOOD, QUALITY" drying microfiber towel made especially for drying off your car. A nice plush wash mitt should be used as well for applying the soap/water to your car. Mind you, these items will cost you some coin, but way worth it in the long run.
Hope this helps out a little bit.
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
Is there a type of fliter you can connect to the hose you use to clean your car, to help with hard water spots, here in Tucson it can get pretty bad.
2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
I think there is a filter, but not positive about that.
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:34 AM   #7
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Op it takes a few times but u will get it down. Practice on a crappy car if u have one before going at it with your 40k camaro. Have your water tested see if thats part of the problem. Drying a car i use a electric leaf blower it removes 95% of the water then i go over it quickly with a microfiber drying towel. After that quick detail spray and your done car should look brand new. Good luck
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:47 AM   #8
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
You can always bring it down to my house one early morning weekend and i can give it the Zaino treatment.

I live near eastfield college.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:49 AM   #9
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
You can always bring it down to my house one early morning weekend and i can give it the Zaino treatment.

I live near eastfield college.
I wish I lived in Dallas I would take you up on that offer
Old 06-22-2009, 07:00 AM   #10
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I wish I lived in Dallas I would take you up on that offer
I used to live in Sunrise

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #11
RocketCutlass
Property USMC

Drives: 95 Caprice 9C1
God I hate that sham-wow guy. WTF does he have a head set on for?
RocketCutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #12
live2well

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjulie83 View Post
Ok so today was the first time I washed my Camaro.....it did not go well. I bought everything I thought I would need to hand wash it. I have never hand washed a car before so I tried to read up on it a bit.

First I hosed down the car to just remove any dirt that I could....didn't use any kind of sprayer.....just normal water hose stream.

Then I put a little big of Meguair's gold class car wash soap in a bucket and added water. I used a microfiber mit to wash the car. I washed it in sections so I could get that section dry before any water spots.

I rinsed off the soapy area and then attempted to dry it with a shammy (i'm sure this isnt' the correct spelling but it'll work). Ok so I had trouble with the shammy. I did wet it first and wring it out....then I place it on the car and pulled it towards me......lots of water was left behind...which quickly turned into water spots. I tried to wring out the shammy more and tried again...still streaks of water left behind. I finally got pissed and just used my microfiber towels to dry the car. I started from the very top and worked my way down.

I noticed a little scratch on her drivers side 'hip'.....i'm sure this scratch is my fault from my failed attempt at hand washing the car.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm so frustrated and I don't want to cause anymore damage. It's pretty obvious I do not know much about cars....I just know that I love them. I love the Camaro's sporty lines and the power of my V8 but beyond that i'm clueless. I really want to learn how to take care of my Camaro so it lives long beyond it's golden years....please help!
BabyJulie I feel your pain and completely understand. Take a look at this link. It should have everything you want to know about how to wash a car. BTW I use this stuff and its great and smells good too.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos.aspx

Just click on the link and watch the videos on you computer.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #13
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
You can use Meguiars Swirl X Swirl Remover with a foam applicator to remove that little scratch you got on your new ride. Make sure a little elbow grease is use to remove it. And this should help you out on washing your ride.
So Here's my take and I hope it helps some of you in maintaining your ride. You would be surprised how much good you can do your car's finish just by washing it. Aside from maintaining the oil and keeping a coat of wax or sealant on the surface, routine washing is the most beneficial treatment you can give your vehicle.

Armed with two bucket's with grit guards and hose, here are the proper steps to make car washing easier:

1. If possible, work in the shade, out of direct sunlight. Elevated paint temperatures cause the wash and rinse water to evaporate too quickly, increasing the likelihood of water spotting.

2. Start by preparing a bucket with clean water and wash the wheels first with a proper wheel wash and brushes too. This prevents you from splattering cleaners, dirt and brake dust on already cleaned panels.

In addition to oily, road grime, wheels get coated with black, metallic, dust particles every time you brake. Car wash shampoos alone may not have the power to remove this baked-on combination. Many inexpensive wheel cleaners use an acid or petroleum solvent to dissolve this bonded contamination but these cleaners can stain alloy and anodized wheels. I use a item that works great and safe for your rims (P21S Wheel Cleaner).

3. Pre-rinse the entire vehicle. This quick rinse removes surface dirt and lowers the paint's temperature.
4. Now prepare another bucket with your favorite car wash shampoo. I also place a Grit Guard in the bottom of my wash bucket. (You'll be amazed at what you'll find in the bottom of the bucket after washing!)
5. Wash the vehicle from the top down. I use either The Bone , a Microfiber Wash Pad or a sheepskin wash mitt.
6. Rinse often during washing. After washing a section (i.e. door, fender, hood, etc.) rinse completely to prevent soap films from drying on the finish.
Detailing Secret #2 - After washing the entire vehicle, do a final rinse with free-flowing water (nozzle off the hose). This sheets most of the water off the vehicle. Trust me on this. I know it takes a minute to take the nozzle off the hose and do this final rinse but it will allow you to dry your vehicle in a fraction of time you would normally require.

7. Dry the vehicle like you washed it, from the top down. I do the roof first, then all the windows, the hood and trunk and finish with the sides. I use a leaf blowner to speed the process and then a waffle weave drying towel to finish it off.

Hope this helps you all out.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #14
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Quick Question, did you wash the card in the shade or in direct sunlight..was the car sitting in direct sunlight before yo started washing it..a car should be cool to the touch before you wash it..And I take all of my cars to the car wash and have no problems..you just have to find the right car wash.
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote