Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-01-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
GM JANUARY 2011 SALES UP 23%, 178,896 UNITS SOLD

General Motors January Sales Rise 23 Percent
Link to Press Release

February 1, 2011

Quote:
* Strong retail sales propel overall performance – up 36 percent
* Car, Truck and Crossover segment retail sales each rise more than 34 percent
* GM’s newest vehicles continue to gain customers – retail sales up 61 percent

DETROIT – General Motors dealers in the United States reported 178,896 total sales in January, a 23-percent increase from a year ago for the company’s four brands. The gain was driven by solid retail sales which were 36 percent higher than a strong January a year ago.

For the month, overall GM fleet sales were down 7 percent with sales to rental fleets declining 11 percent, while sales to commercial customers rose 7 percent.

Retail sales of GM’s cars, trucks and crossovers all rose 34 percent or more during the month, up 39 percent, 34 percent and 35 percent, respectively.

“January was a good month and signaled a solid start to the new year for each of our divisions,” said Don Johnson, vice president, U.S. Sales Operations. “Our results were driven by gains across the board in all segments, with our newest models leading the way.”

Combined sales for GM’s newest vehicles – Chevrolet Equinox, Silverado HD, Cruze and Volt; Buick LaCrosse and Regal; GMC Sierra HD and Terrain; and Cadillac SRX, CTS Wagon and CTS Coupe – increased 31 percent, while retail sales surged 61 percent for the month.

Passenger Cars

Total sales of GM passenger cars rose 15 percent during January on rising demand for the all-new Chevrolet Cruze, Buick Regal and CTS Coupe. Retail sales of GM passenger cars rose 39 percent for the month, led by the Cruze, with retail sales 129 percent higher than the compact car it replaced. The momentum continues as Cruze Eco, which will get an estimated 42 miles per gallon on the highway, began arriving at U.S. dealers in January.

Crossovers

In January total sales for GM’s industry-leading lineup of fuel-efficient crossovers improved 31 percent versus January 2010, led by the Chevrolet Equinox (up 35 percent), GMC Terrain (up 48 percent) and Cadillac SRX (up 31 percent). Retail sales for the Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse and GMC Acadia continued to improve in January, up 37 percent, 15 percent and 24 percent respectively.

“Our mid-sized crossovers, Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse and GMC Acadia, continue to have legs,” Johnson said. “They appeal to customers because of their great styling, fuel efficiency and utility.”

Pickups and Utilities

Total sales of GM’s full-size pickup trucks – Chevrolet Silverado and Avalanche, and GMC Sierra – improved 28 percent in January versus a year ago, with retail sales rising 37 percent. Total sales of GM full-size utilities – Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe, GMC Yukon and Yukon XL, and Cadillac Escalade – rose 18 percent during the month, with combined retail sales improving 31 percent. Total sales of Chevrolet Express cargo and passenger vans and the Chevrolet HHR rose as more businesses turned to the brand in January, with sales up 91 percent and 35 percent respectively.

Month-end dealer inventory in the United States stood at about 510,000 units, which is about 1,000 lower compared to December and about 124,000 higher than January 2010.

Brand Key Facts:

* Chevrolet: Chevrolet delivered 125,389 total vehicles in January, a 19-percent increase versus last year. Retail sales for Chevrolet rose 33 percent for the month. Retail sales were propelled by improving Cruze sales, which were 129 percent higher than the compact car it replaces. Silverado and Equinox retail sales, which were up 35 and 46 percent respectively (read more).
* Buick: Buick reported 13,269 total sales, a 32-percent increase compared to a year ago. This includes a 44-percent rise in year-over-year retail sales, led by Regal (2,290 units) and Enclave, which had retail sales 37 percent higher than last year. This marks the 16th consecutive month of year-over-year sales gains for the brand. (read more).
* GMC: GMC reported total sales of 27,658, a 30-percent increase compared to the same month last year. This marks the 16th consecutive month of year-over-year sales increases. Retail sales were 36 percent higher than last year, spurred by Yukon, Sierra, Acadia and Terrain – up 32 percent, 49 percent, 24 percent and 34 percent, respectively (read more).
* Cadillac: Cadillac reported total sales of 12,580 for January – 49 percent higher than last January, with retail sales increasing 55 percent. January was the 12th consecutive month of year-over-year total and retail sales gains. SRX retail sales were up 43 percent compared to a year ago. CTS retail sales rose 114 percent, driven by strong demand for the all-new CTS Coupe and Sedan. The Escalade family saw retail sale rise 18 percent versus a year ago (read more).
* Fleet sales for GM’s four brands were 39,767 for the month, a 7-percent decline from the prior year, with sales to rental fleets down 11 percent during the same period. Sales to commercial customers rose 7 percent for the month, the tenth consecutive month of commercial fleet sales gains. Fleet accounted for 22 percent of GM total sales during the month.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
djinva
Bow Tie Fan

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
I hate to read that fleet sales are down. I have worked for the same company 20 years and I have always driven a GM vehicle, we just switched to Ford. I just ordered my first Ford. It was a sad day. I hope GM decides to pursue the fleet sales again so that in 2 years I can go back.
12 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Instagram: djinva88
djinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinva View Post
I hate to read that fleet sales are down. I have worked for the same company 20 years and I have always driven a GM vehicle, we just switched to Ford. I just ordered my first Ford. It was a sad day. I hope GM decides to pursue the fleet sales again so that in 2 years I can go back.
Fleet sales down is a good thing. Fleet sales are generally unprofitable.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Yes, generally good to be in the position where fleet sales are a lower percentage.

GM will not be abandoning Fleet Sales at all, it will just hopefully be at lower levels.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Yeah, but doesn't fleet sales help drive other sales?
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
I wounder how profitable GM was for the 2010 year, Ford did great, I'm assuming GM should be pretty good aswell.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Good to see. One thing that I noticed is that Buick's sales have nearly doubled in the last 2 years. Thats impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Yeah, but doesn't fleet sales help drive other sales?
Have you ever had a rental and thought "wow, I want to buy one of these myself!" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinva View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Yes, generally good to be in the position where fleet sales are a lower percentage.

GM will not be abandoning Fleet Sales at all, it will just hopefully be at lower levels.
Also, I seem to remember that GM's January fleet sales were ridiculously high last year
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Have you ever had a rental and thought "wow, I want to buy one of these myself!" ?
I was thinking more in terms of a company car. Seeing a company drive a certain brand gets the brand out there, and can make impressions on the general public seeing that company using that brand. Kind of like seeing the Police drive interceptors, someone thinking, those are cool, I'm gonna go buy me a Crown Vic.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
I was thinking more in terms of a company car. Seeing a company drive a certain brand gets the brand out there, and can make impressions on the general public seeing that company using that brand. Kind of like seeing the Police drive interceptors, someone thinking, those are cool, I'm gonna go buy me a Crown Vic.
The only case where I see that happening would be with trucks. But other than that, I don't see it as much of a positive. As many people as you might attract with Impala taxis and cop cars, you'd likely turn away at least twice as many others.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #10
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The only case where I see that happening would be with trucks. But other than that, I don't see it as much of a positive. As many people as you might attract with Impala taxis and cop cars, you'd likely turn away at least twice as many others.
For me I would look at it in a positive way, but I see your point.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #11
FenwickHockey65

Industry report is a little late today, been busy.

The competition...

Ford Motor Company: Up 27%, 127,317 units sold
Toyota: Up 17.3%, 115,856 units sold
Honda: Up 13%, 76,269 units sold
Nissan: Up 14.8%, 71,847 units sold
Chrysler Group: Up 23%, 70,118 units sold
Hyundai: Up 22%, 37,214 units sold
Kia: Up 23.4%, 27,789 units sold
Subaru: Up 21%, 18,858 units sold
BMW: Up 21.1%, 18,656 units sold
Volkswagen: Up 2.1%, 18,401 units sold
Mercedes Benz: Up 14%, 17,273 units sold
Old 02-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
coolman

I'll helping this. Just ordered a 2011 3500 duramax 4x4 LTZ single rear wheel. I'm almost as excited as when I ordered my camaro and it's only a work truck.

Good Job chevy for building some awesome cars and trucks!
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:12 PM   #13
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
I'll helping this. Just ordered a 2011 3500 duramax 4x4 LTZ single rear wheel. I'm almost as excited as when I ordered my camaro and it's only a work truck.

Good Job chevy for building some awesome cars and trucks!
Very nice coolman!
Old 02-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #14
coolman

Quote:
Very nice coolman!
Thanks man! I'll post some pics when she shows up.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote