Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-12-2018, 07:35 PM   #29
z28monster

Drives: 15 Z28, 17 GT350R
Damn, that break looks nasty...

Guess at some point, everything is breakable depending on how one grinds the car on a road course or drag strip.

Even professional grade cars with the best components break.
z28monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:00 PM   #30
YOLO Z/28
YOLO Z/28

Drives: 2014 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28monster View Post
Damn, that break looks nasty...

Guess at some point, everything is breakable depending on how one grinds the car on a road course or drag strip.

Even professional grade cars with the best components break.
Truth! You figure a NASCAR stock car cost how much, and even they go up in smoke sometimes.
2014 Red Hot Z/28, CTF car #39/69. HCI, Supercharged, boltons.
2006 SRM GTO, exhaust, VMR V701 wheels (SOLD)
2002 Bright Red Trans Am WS6: HCI, exhaust, tune, Konis, UMI sways, LCAs, Track bar, STB, 2" boxed steel SFCs (SOLD)
YOLO Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:11 AM   #31
FLOW TIE

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #898
Agree with everything said prior to this in the thread.
I had gotten the urge For MERICAN MUSCLE for the 2-3 years prior to buying the Z.

Looked at hellcats prior to the Z. Build quality/reliability (according to their forum) and skinny tires deterred me.

Was extremely close to buying a pristine modded 2010 ZR1 (fastest car I’ve ever driven) but after test driving the Z, I was hooked!

The Z is just a total baddass! The looks, the feel of the car, the analog nature of this car.... pop in some Sammy Hagar, turn the key, fire it up, brings me back to my high schools days of hauling ass on the mean streets of north Dallas..

This car looks like a steamroller going down the road
Drive one, you’ll be hooked!

BTW, we have a pretty good active group here in DFW LAND.
Come join us!
FLOW TIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:47 AM   #32
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
This is an interesting question... we've had guys on this forum swear they'd never sell and then sold. However, we've also had a couple of guys sell and come back admitting they'd made a mistake by selling their first one. I experienced that w/ my 2013 Boss 302 LS. It wasn't nearly as capable as the Z/28, but the day I traded it on a 2013 ZL1, I felt a twinge of regret as I was collecting my stuff from the car just after finalizing the deal. Several months later I was certain I'd made a mistake and actually tried to buy another Boss, but couldn't find what I wanted at the right price. Then, along came a brand new Z/28 at $58k... the night I drove it home and knew the hype was real.

Fast forward 2.5 years and 26.5k miles later and I still look forward to driving it each and every time. That said, I am about to do some performance upgrades (btw, I used to think I'd never mod mine and now I am..more on that below). I was even considering selling it and getting a ZL1 1LE. Does this mean that it's not the "one"? Quite the opposite... as strong as the ZLE pull was, I knew I couldn't trade in my Z, walk away and not regret it. Some can and have, but I know I'd miss its perfect blend of old school demeanor and new school capabilities.

Why am I modding it if it's the "one"? Because I hang around w/ the DFW Posse and they've led me astray. Lol. Seriously, no matter how great a car is, adding another 170 HP can never hurt. It'll always be special. Just a bit more special in roughly 1.5 weeks. :-)

Edit: Just realized that I didn't answer 2 of your questions... yes, I test drove a non-AC, used one prior and at that time (May 2015) there were still plenty to be had.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #33
1erMQP

Drives: 15 Z/28 #605
When you're in the market for a drivers car then the Z/28 will be one of the best options.

Lets say it with Chris Harris words, the Z/28 is an analog car in a digital age.
I've brought this car to Germany and never seen or driven it before.

Have been so fascinated by the cars consept with one of the last real NA engines, manual shifting and a track capable chassis.

Never regreted my decission and all the effort, enjoying every ride
1erMQP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:48 PM   #34
Crush

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIFIED View Post
This is an interesting question... we've had guys on this forum swear they'd never sell and then sold. However, we've also had a couple of guys sell and come back admitting they'd made a mistake by selling their first one. I experienced that w/ my 2013 Boss 302 LS. It wasn't nearly as capable as the Z/28, but the day I traded it on a 2013 ZL1, I felt a twinge of regret as I was collecting my stuff from the car just after finalizing the deal. Several months later I was certain I'd made a mistake and actually tried to buy another Boss, but couldn't find what I wanted at the right price. Then, along came a brand new Z/28 at $58k... the night I drove it home and knew the hype was real.

Fast forward 2.5 years and 26.5k miles later and I still look forward to driving it each and every time. That said, I am about to do some performance upgrades (btw, I used to think I'd never mod mine and now I am..more on that below). I was even considering selling it and getting a ZL1 1LE. Does this mean that it's not the "one"? Quite the opposite... as strong as the ZLE pull was, I knew I couldn't trade in my Z, walk away and not regret it. Some can and have, but I know I'd miss its perfect blend of old school demeanor and new school capabilities.

Why am I modding it if it's the "one"? Because I hang around w/ the DFW Posse and they've led me astray. Lol. Seriously, no matter how great a car is, adding another 170 HP can never hurt. It'll always be special. Just a bit more special in roughly 1.5 weeks. :-)

Edit: Just realized that I didn't answer 2 of your questions... yes, I test drove a non-AC, used one prior and at that time (May 2015) there were still plenty to be had.
What mods are you doing!!
Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:00 PM   #35
JUSTIFIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush View Post
What mods are you doing!!
Local performance shop called 21st Century Muscle Cars has a 675 BHP package, which includes the following items....

• CNC ported and polished LS7 cylinder heads (core req.)
• Multi-angle valve job & surfacing for 11.5:1 compression
• High performance dual valve springs, titanium retainers & valve locks
• Stainless exhaust valves and new bronze guides
• Professional degreeing of camshaft and reassembly of engine
• Your choice of custom grind LS7 ZO6 camshaft (I chose the 238/254 @ .05 with 114 LSA...)
• Trunion upgrade
• MSD Atomic Airforce Intake
• NW 102 mm Throttle Body
• Long tube stainless steel headers (I chose 2" American Racing headers..)
• High flow cats and crossover pipe
• Taylor Pro Plug Wires
• NGK V-Power Spark Plugs
• Polished and ported throttle body

Am also having Katech valve covers (anodized blue) installed and coil packs relocated under the covers

Last edited by JUSTIFIED; 05-13-2018 at 09:48 PM.
JUSTIFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:10 PM   #36
Crush

Drives: 2015 Z28
I have been checking out Katech, they are 20 min from my house! I just can’t get over breaking open a 1000 mile motor! What tires do you run?
Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:29 PM   #37
JUSTIFIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush View Post
I have been checking out Katech, they are 20 min from my house! I just can’t get over breaking open a 1000 mile motor! What tires do you run?

Stay calm and mod on! :-) Honestly, I started w/ smaller stuff (Aeroforce gauges, wicker bill, Hurst shifter..). It took me a while to work my way up to this, but a couple of local guys have done it and their cars are simply amazing. Guess we'll have to refer to ourselves as the The Mod Squad (sorry... it's cheesy, but couldn't help it. If under 45 you may have to look that up).

Tires are the new Continental Extremes...305s on each corner. It's a great street tire as it performs very well in all conditions and tread is holding up nicely. Plus, they weigh in at 27 lbs, which was a significant factor in my decision.

Katech! Katech! Katech! Ha. Keep us posted if you do give in to the urge to mod.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:45 PM   #38
cmancha003

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #1097
Thank you for all the replies. Currently trying to sell my car to see if I can get into a Z/28. Luckily for me, someone traded a red 15 Z/28 with AC in dfw. I don't think it is posted yet, so it gives me enough time to go drive it on Friday. I have the go ahead from the wife (so far, haha) as long as it makes sense. We will see how it goes...
cmancha003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:35 PM   #39
SinginHawk

Drives: 2015 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmancha003 View Post
Thank you for all the replies. Currently trying to sell my car to see if I can get into a Z/28. Luckily for me, someone traded a red 15 Z/28 with AC in dfw. I don't think it is posted yet, so it gives me enough time to go drive it on Friday. I have the go ahead from the wife (so far, haha) as long as it makes sense. We will see how it goes...
Good luck!
Old 05-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #40
Ftrusty

Drives: 2015 Z/28
I just sold ‘15 #957 which I bought new about a year ago. I loved the car and tracked it once which was amazing but in the end I found I missed the refinement of Corvettes several of which I have owned, and decided to forgo the Z and go back to a ‘Vette. If I could afford two play cars one would definitely be a Z.
Ftrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:09 PM   #41
cmancha003

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #1097
In love, finalized everything yesterday. picking it up once the new tires come in. haha.
cmancha003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:50 PM   #42
tylerio
EXTREMZ

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #891, 2012 2SS 45th Anni
Congratulations. You'll love it. And, mod on! Just back from the track today, the car is awesome. No trouble keeping up with Porsches and Corvettes on the straight. Some Porsches have slight edge in the corners. People go wild about the Z's sound (ARH headers, no cats). Mean mother, it is. I wouldn't want to be looking at it in my rear view mirror.
JPSS Oil cooler
JPSS SAI plates
JPSS Rear sway bar
Forza Continenti exhaust controller
ZL1 Add-ons wickerbill
Brey-Krause Harness bar
Schroth 4 pt. ASM harnesses
Auto-blip
tylerio is offline   Reply With Quote