Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Would the coupe ZL1 be better if it had the ZL1 vert's factory chassis parts ?

I have read post's about people claiming how verts suck,or how they can not keep up with the same model of coupe's made with the same brand..That may be true with some cars,but not with GM's 427 vert or when it comes to the ZL1 vert since it was built from the ground up to run the same times as the coupe,and handle as close to it a possiable....02 different on the G-Forced pad.
I had a comment on my for sale listing by SWstick(trolling following me around) about who would want a vert with as much power as mine,lol..freedom of speech is great..
But it got me to thinking about all of the extra parts and design that went into the ZL1 vert to make it as good as a coupe,how much better would the coupe handle,and faster possiablly on the 1/4 mile if it was already reinforced with the vert parts from the factory...As the aftermarket already is selling parts such as these to help when the chassis of the coupe has been given extra power to play with...
Maybe GM should offer a extra track package selling the vert parts for the coupe,the front belly pan may need a spacer,or small redesign ? !!!
THE THREAD ZL1 VERT's 0-60 TIME also got me to thinking about it..
Anyway here is a list of those parts... what do you guys think should it be offered,and would it help...I believe so...thank you

. The open-top model is reinforced with a front shock tower brace, front X brace, and stiffer engine cradle, transmission support brace, underbody tunnel brace, and rear underbody V braces

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2tcgXnRef
Old 02-17-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
snapp32e

Drives: '81-Z28/'07-Tundra/'12-ZL1/'13-Jeep
Might be talking overkill here. Extra supports, braces, parts translates to extra weight in a car that has been engineered to have adequate stiffness and rigidity in coupe format already. Although, after the introduction of aftermarket parts you may be able to recognize the benefits of those components once you began to reach the cars threshold in the power department and G limitations in stressful situations like cornering and launching. Aside from that...I'd say not necessary or beneficial.
ZL1 #612
snapp32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
ZL1 Spoked

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapp32e View Post
Might be talking overkill here. Extra supports, braces, parts translates to extra weight in a car that has been engineered to have adequate stiffness and rigidity in coupe format already. Although, after the introduction of aftermarket parts you may be able to recognize the benefits of those components once you began to reach the cars threshold in the power department and G limitations in stressful situations like cornering and launching. Aside from that...I'd say not necessary or beneficial.
this. sorry OP

604 RWHP 602 LBS/TQ
ZL1 Spoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #4
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
To OP I think you let the troll get to you bud and he made you start thinking again!!!
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #5
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:18 PM   #6
gen=5

No,he has not gotten to me,LOL..I was just posting what i thought might be a good conversion,since people already purchase aftermarket parts and install them on the coupe when they have added 100- 200 extra rwhp or more.
I thought that the vert extra parts which do weigh less than a lot of the aftermarket parts might make a good kit being GM already sell's so many of the ZL1's parts and the Z28 parts in their catalog...
I do understand how well the coupe was built for the 580hp it came with but being that a large amount of owners either race/track or increase the power by easy 50% of what the car came with from the factory...
Old 02-17-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
camarovigoa
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Victory Red A6
Quote:
Exactly!
camarovigoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #8
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
It's news to me that the ZL1 verts perform the same as the coupes. Everything I have seen reports that they are a few tenths slower to 60 and even more in the 1/4.

The 427 Vette is basically the Z06 convertible. While it's a beast, it still slower than the Z06 coupe.

I love verts, but you cannot beat the laws of physics. Same car and same horsepower means the coupe wins.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #9
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
I think the OP doesn't want more "I think so's" and wants people to post up some numbers they are achieving with added reinforcements that basically add up to the vert's reinforcements.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:12 PM   #10
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
I think the OP doesn't want more "I think so's" and wants people to post up some numbers they are achieving with added reinforcements that basically add up to the vert's reinforcements.
But his assertion that the convertible has the same performance as the coupe is incorrect. So is the comment abut the 427 Vette.

I also don't need you telling me what to post. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:43 PM   #11
gen=5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue View Post
It's news to me that the ZL1 verts perform the same as the coupes. Everything I have seen reports that they are a few tenths slower to 60 and even more in the 1/4.

The 427 Vette is basically the Z06 convertible. While it's a beast, it still slower than the Z06 coupe.

I love verts, but you cannot beat the laws of physics. Same car and same horsepower means the coupe wins.
Pls understand my post was not about the vert beating the coupe anywhere on the planet (although there are some high HP vert's that will spank a stock coupes,lol)..I understand with the same hp....more weight etc.....but thats about in a straight line only, I am not saying the vert can beat the coupe...I am only saying that the vert parts would make a good package for GM to offer for those that have added 50% more rwhp...I agree that a car going in a line with the same power more weight,or drag is slower come on guys,thats common sense...I am not saying all things equal either...

This was about coupe VS coupe with added HP needing the extra help to get the power to the ground,and to help it around the corner putting 200rwhp more to the ground.
people do ,do away with the stock strut set up,by the way...They go toward a formula 1 set up like the Z28.It may not work as well on the street,but for track use only,well !!! mag ride is great for a best of both worlds,but once its gone then other parts have to replace it,and other suspension parts have to be added as well

we should feel free to post whatever we want,and if someone want to as always happens on the web grasp onto part of a post that's also fine, I welcome it..I just thought some might find this a interesting conversion,instead of making it about what will and wont work when it comes to physic's, only in a straight line all things being equal..
As we can go into how the body of a stock car rolls in the corner or twist's in a straight line under the different types of loads in different area's of the car,compared to a car that because of the 50% increase in power will have increased or decreased load's or even more lift because of the increased power, with the possibility of slowing the car down in certain area's of a track needing other parts to help clue it to the track.. How having the extra parts weight or not can make a car faster,as all of 9sec ZL1 packages built by Livernois have changed out chassis and or suspension parts because of the power increase.. anyway I just thought is might make a good conversion,and nothing more......

Last edited by gen=5; 02-17-2014 at 10:59 PM.
gen=5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #12
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
There is a reason the vert is limited to 155. Those reinforcements are to help make up for the structure lost from the Coupe. The Coupe is limited at 184, so there is almost a 30 mph difference. I doubt the added weight of additional reinforcement to the Coupe would bring much change in top end.

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
Old 02-17-2014, 10:01 PM   #13
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
There is a reason the vert is limited to 155. Those reinforcements are to help make up for the structure lost from the Coupe. The Coupe is limited at 184, so there is almost a 30 mph difference. I doubt the added weight of additional reinforcement to the Coupe would bring much change in top end.

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
I thought it was because the top wasn't certified above 155, either up or down, not sure which .. .
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #14
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by I call it Vera View Post
I thought it was because the top wasn't certified above 155, either up or down, not sure which .. .
I think it is a general safety rule because the GT500 vert has the same speed limit.