Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 01-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #29
Rico
Flying da helicopter

Drives: Black SS/RS
I plan on installing my Kooks 1 7/8 and high flow cats with Borla Atak catback, will I have to cut anything or will it just connect without issues? Thanks
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #30
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Same question, there's some confusion about when cutting is required.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #31
AquaRSSS
AquaRob

Drives: ABM RS\SS; 69 427 Camaro; 1970 Z28
Cutting???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
I plan on installing my Kooks 1 7/8 and high flow cats with Borla Atak catback, will I have to cut anything or will it just connect without issues? Thanks
I put a set of 1 7\8" Kooks, Cat deletes, etc. and it was all done in less than 2 hours. Didn't remove or cut a thing. Not sure what the H is going on as far as this whole steering column deal, etc.
Centerline, Weld, Holley, Nick Williams, GMPP, Diamond, ARP, Callies, Nelson Racing, Pro Torque, Strange, J&S Polishing, RMCR, AAC, MBRP, Flowmaster, FAST, Comp Cams, RX Performance, Aeroquip, Spectrum Powder-Coating, Current Performance, RX,TDub Racing, DSS, Fore Innovations, Aeroquip, Earl's, BMR, Ximpac, MPD,Street Scene, Blood, Sweat and Tears
AquaRSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #32
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
When installing Headers and cats, typically no cutting. There's a sleeve after the cats that hooks up to the catback exhaust. All the brands I've seen are designed to fit in this sleeve.

If your just doing exhaust and not headers you'll probably be cutting your exhaust, varies by brand.

2.9 Polished Whipple, Kooks LT 1 7/8 headers, HiFlow Cats, Kooks Sleeper catback, Cooling Mist Methanol Injection, PFADT Sport Sways, PFADT Springs, PFADT rear trailing arms, ADM intake, JDP stainless brake lines, Jegs Catch can, Stock SS wheels widened to 10 3/4, Hawks HPS Pads, Pedders Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts, BMR Center Brace, MSD BAP, AAC side markers, Emblem Pro's Custom Lighted Door Sills, Dash-Floor-Cupholder ABL lighting and other stuff....
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #33
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Drives: RJTC 1SS RS L99
Dose anyone have a photo of the steering shaft hook up? I am doing this job very soon and would be interested in seeing it.
ARH 1 7/8 coated LT, High flows, Corsa L99 exhaust, Vmax CNC throttle body, Elite Engineering catch can and tunnel brace, C.A.I. Apex Washer relocation and scoop, Janetty Tune, MSD wires, DEI heat shields, RB rotors and pads, Mike the powder coater calipers, pedders lines, Forgestar F14's, Gorilla nutz, MTI spoiler finished by Gary, Gary's Customz Bow Ties, Side Markers and Tails tinted, Bezels matte black, Badges deleted, Windows Tinted, AAC DRL P13W lights, AAC tinted LED reverse lights, AAC LED interior lights, RPI match painted DRL Bezels, Lis plate frame, Lloyds mats
Brianskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #34
horsekack

Drives: Inferno orange 2011 SS, 6 speed...
OK, i got my Kooks long tubes, off road x pipe and mufflers installed today. it was a pain in the ass getting the stock manifolds off, both pre cat o2 sensors threads broke off while coming out of the pipe (yes i am being serious). On the plus side both new o2 sensors will be here tomorrow, and it only took me like 2 minutes to get the headers slid into place and bolted in and another 30 minutes later i had the rest of the exhaust put into place. by far the best and easiest install ever minus having to spend almost another $300 on my o2 sensors.
horsekack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #35
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Did you heat the O2 sensor bungs prior to trying to remove them? I am doing this install tomorrow and trying to be ready for any potential hick ups. From what I am reading they come loose much easier if you do it while they are still hot or hit them with a heat gun and some liquid wrench first.
ARH 1 7/8 coated LT, High flows, Corsa L99 exhaust, Vmax CNC throttle body, Elite Engineering catch can and tunnel brace, C.A.I. Apex Washer relocation and scoop, Janetty Tune, MSD wires, DEI heat shields, RB rotors and pads, Mike the powder coater calipers, pedders lines, Forgestar F14's, Gorilla nutz, MTI spoiler finished by Gary, Gary's Customz Bow Ties, Side Markers and Tails tinted, Bezels matte black, Badges deleted, Windows Tinted, AAC DRL P13W lights, AAC tinted LED reverse lights, AAC LED interior lights, RPI match painted DRL Bezels, Lis plate frame, Lloyds mats
Old 02-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #36
horsekack

yea i heated them up.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #37
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Well, not much for me to do now except take my best shot at it in the morning.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #38
horsekack

Like I said it was easy as can b. the threads just broke on me.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #39
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Keep a good thought for me! I would really like to avoid having to buy new sensors right now. This seems to be the most common problem. Apparently GM didn't bother with anti-seize and got a bit carried away with the torque as well.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #40
horsekack

Well did u get it done today? I took mine out today and wow does it sound good! It's louder and deeper than I thought it would b and that's a plus
Old 03-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #41
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

I got it done and my O2 sensors gave up with only a small fight and were in plenty good shape to reuse. Thank Goodness! I unhooked the firewall ends and dropped the manifolds so I could have lots of room while I worked on the sensors. A little soaking with liquid wrench while I worked on other stuff and then I hit the other side of the pipe with a torch for a couple minutes till the liquid wrench started to smoke off. The base hobby shop had good high quality O2 sensor sockets and that made all the difference. They gave up with only a few grunts and groans from me. Thanks for the heads up. Being really ready for a fight made me come out on top.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #42
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Installing LT's with the guidance of some more knowledgeable friends sometime in the next few weeks... this was extremely helpful. Bump for a great thread!