Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-03-2018, 10:25 PM   #1
GA Camaro 2SS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Best way to increase HP and keep Warranty

Title says it all. I want more HP but don't want to void Warranty. Is that possible ??
GA Camaro 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:34 PM   #2
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Officially:

OEM Cold Air Intake

Thats it heh
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:59 PM   #3
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
yes its possible.

1.) Chevy performance cold air intake + tune (installed by dealer will not void warranty)

2.) Ported throttle body (unlikely to void warranty)

3.) Ported intake manifold (unlikely to void warranty)

Those three will net you ~ +15 whp on an SS and cost around $1300 total. A tune to optimize the ported parts will give you even more power, but will burn your warranty for sure.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:05 AM   #4
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Camaro 2SS View Post
Title says it all. I want more HP but don't want to void Warranty. Is that possible ??
Absolutely,

Buy a ZL1
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:10 AM   #5
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
$1300 for barely enough to notice and you will forget about it in short time. You want warranty just keep the motor stock and buy suspension.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:10 AM   #6
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Buy a ZL1
+1
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:50 AM   #7
jreagle56

Drives: 2022 2SS A10 NPP MRC Red Hot
sometimes I think bolt ons are over rated; just my opinion...... you can add bolt ons and gain mathematical hp. a driver probably wont be able to feel the gain though. the ported TB will give, in most cases, better throttle response which is something you can feel. best gain for the buck IMO.

real HP gains that a driver can feel will come from blowers, headers, cams, tunes, etc.; all the major mods installed together and tuned..... or move to a ZL1 at some point and add a ported throttle body to it as well.
jreagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:05 AM   #8
Gen6 softtop

Drives: Hyper blue 1ss convertible 6 sp
Does the SS share the same throttle body as the Zl1, which had a nasty ridge in it making porting it a no brainier?
Gen6 softtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:31 AM   #9
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Save your money and do cosmetic mods or improve handling. Without a tune, the power you can gain is not worth the money. Over $100 per HP? LOL....nope!
Old 01-04-2018, 07:36 AM   #10
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I have no idea what it is on a car, but on an 300 hp offshore outboard motor you need 10 percent more hp to feel any type of difference at all. I imagine a car is about the same....So let’s say you put on an intake and exhaust, and it adds 15 hp… That’s 3% increase on an SS… You can’t feel 3%......
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:43 AM   #11
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
The ~3-5% increase is noticeably only in a probably better throttle response. You will have another sound which leads to the imagination that you have more power. in the end only on paper but not really in reality.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:33 AM   #12
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreagle56 View Post
sometimes I think bolt ons are over rated; just my opinion...... you can add bolt ons and gain mathematical hp. a driver probably wont be able to feel the gain though. the ported TB will give, in most cases, better throttle response which is something you can feel. best gain for the buck IMO.

real HP gains that a driver can feel will come from blowers, headers, cams, tunes, etc.; all the major mods installed together and tuned..... or move to a ZL1 at some point and add a ported throttle body to it as well.
Well, I don't know about this.

On my 99 Z28 ~ 350 Factory HP, I did a intake LID, TB, MAF and Smooth Bellow. Still using stock exhaust and stock tune, and I DEFINITELY felt an improvement. No its not LIGHTYEARS better, but it is noticeably more responsive.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:00 AM   #13
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Save your money and do cosmetic mods or improve handling. Without a tune, the power you can gain is not worth the money. Over $100 per HP? LOL....nope!
This ^

If your worried about the warranty, just do cosmetics
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:08 AM   #14
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreagle56 View Post

It can involve a LOT of work to change a lot of hard-to-get-at parts that most people don't want to go through the work to do, and any time you start modding there are often supporting-mods necessary if you are going to do it right. May involve fuel system pump/rails, injectors, headers and FULL exhaust, cam, and so on. You can achieve significant gains, it's just a lot of work relative to what you get and most home-tuners don't go so far as to completely disassemble their entire front end and engine.

With turbo cars, you can often get a significant increase with just a few easy-to-do bolt-ons, depends on the car, but you can often increase the power around 20-25% rather easily. There can still be tradeoffs like reaching the volumetric limits of the turbo sooner, but in general, it's easier to do this with FI cars. I took my 220hp WRX to 280-300 with intercooler, bigger tubes, intake, full turbo-back exhaust, wastegate mods, some other stuff I'm totally forgetting right now, and tune. Not only was it very noticeable as far as power, it smoothed out the power delivery significantly and the turbo spooled faster(to higher boost of course).

Still, when you decide your FI car needs a bigger blower or turbo to make more power, you start getting wrapped up in a lot of required supporting mods, so the amount of work can once again go up significantly.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote