Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-18-2019, 11:27 AM   #29
EJSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
That’s why I’m holding out for a GM Z28 CAI.
You wont regret it, I am very happy with mine.
EJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:03 PM   #30
2013ZL1FUN

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible A6 BRM
Stock ZL1 Airbox

Why is the factory intake air filter box ported for outside air and under hood air?
Old 10-21-2019, 06:57 PM   #31
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I usually don't respond to these type of threads because they usually solve nothing because there are so many variables and opinions....BUT.
Like many of us old farts who have been around a few years (57)..we have seen a lot of fads come and go.
We have tried many a ways to introduce more air/fresh air/cold air. We started flipping the breather lids for mostly the cool sound but for better flow as well. All the nifty air filter designs of the 50's/60's/70's basically involved pulling in hot air from the engine bay...with the exception of the true sealed ram air type systems......which IMO are still the best. Many of the modern factory airboxes flow pretty well...though like many designs, are made to keep things quiet and meet EPA standards. Do I think modern cai's are a fad, no....they help. Do I think automakers and aftermarket manufactures can do better, yes. Even some of these high dollar units look cheap and over priced.
I wish the automakers would go back a few decades and learn from some of their greater successes.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:00 AM   #32
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
I have more factory parts under the house than I have under the car so at this point its anecdotal. The car can't even run a factory axle for more than a mile (no longer has those...) so it could add or subtract 30 HP and I wouldn't notice it. Now if it was a magical traction aid or heck if it robs a little torque on launch some hot air might be helping.

It's about getting your money. Have you seen the cost of a kit for an S4 B9? Its twice what they want for the Camaro ones and they literally look identical to the factory design, just with an "improved" filter and some carbon fiber. The stock Audi airbox on mine will be staying until it is a restriction. $700 for a few barely measurable hp is stupid. But the sales guys are selling them so there you go.

If I learned anything with the Camaro is work with your tuner. Do high value adds, and leave the low hanging fruit for the end, when they become a restriction to your larger mods, if you even hit that point depending on your goals. A $450 intake for maybe 10hp is a 3rd of the cost of a cam package that will gain you upwards from 60rwhp with the smallest of cams. And that cam won't need an aftermarket air filter to do it. Most of those "budget" mods added more headaches and just cost me money with no measurable gain in the end. Heck, the ported throttle body is now off the car. So maybe that's what Jannetty is really saying in the end? Don't waste money on marketing junk, whether is $150 or $450.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:11 AM   #33
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrichards73 View Post
I've had the same one for years. You can see where the seal has worn away at the hood insulation. Its sealed, the only gaps it has is at the bottom, which is where the air is coming from anyways. The top is the important part. I'd suggest relocating the washer bottle and installing the air scoop except I have to self pressurize the remote washer bottle with an air hose before I leave the driveway if I expect it to work during my drive...
+1
Although, didn’t bother with relocating the washer bottle.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:47 AM   #34
MeanV8

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS, Chevy Corvette,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrichards73 View Post
I have more factory parts under the house than I have under the car so at this point its anecdotal. The car can't even run a factory axle for more than a mile (no longer has those...) so it could add or subtract 30 HP and I wouldn't notice it. Now if it was a magical traction aid or heck if it robs a little torque on launch some hot air might be helping.

It's about getting your money. Have you seen the cost of a kit for an S4 B9? Its twice what they want for the Camaro ones and they literally look identical to the factory design, just with an "improved" filter and some carbon fiber. The stock Audi airbox on mine will be staying until it is a restriction. $700 for a few barely measurable hp is stupid. But the sales guys are selling them so there you go.

If I learned anything with the Camaro is work with your tuner. Do high value adds, and leave the low hanging fruit for the end, when they become a restriction to your larger mods, if you even hit that point depending on your goals. A $450 intake for maybe 10hp is a 3rd of the cost of a cam package that will gain you upwards from 60rwhp with the smallest of cams. And that cam won't need an aftermarket air filter to do it. Most of those "budget" mods added more headaches and just cost me money with no measurable gain in the end. Heck, the ported throttle body is now off the car. So maybe that's what Jannetty is really saying in the end? Don't waste money on marketing junk, whether is $150 or $450.
Amen!!!

Dan
MeanV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:08 PM   #35
Black 6.2L SS

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, LS3, NPP
My particular car has responded very well to removal of the factory plastic tube and box with all of its bends, steps and snorkels. I installed an authentic sealed CAI brand intake. To be honest, I wasn’t expecting a whole lot of change....just that air is free so I might as well grab as much as I can right?
The change I noticed was immediate and obvious for what it is,.....more responsive throttle tip-in, stronger pull and different sound. I couldn’t imagine putting the factory stuff back in. I’d recommend removing the washer bottle to really open the area up. I’ve also opened up the lower fascia to feed more cold air in. Maybe cars with the “strong MAFs” respond better. I don’t know, but I believe every bit of the tested 18 hp gain from the CAI and scoop. My .02
Black 6.2L SS is offline   Reply With Quote