Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-09-2024, 06:38 AM   #1
OnionBilly

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS V6
2010 LLT no start, Fuel?

(repost, mustve posted in wrong forum)

Just picked this 2010 RS this past December, only been driving it for like 3 and a half months- Love the thing but currently hitting a wall.

The car would get the CEL every few days for a day or two at a time then it would go away or come back a day or two after clearing it. It always was these
P0420
P0089

Searching around made me think I dont have to worry to much about this til emissions rolls around which wont be for a while.

Driving to ihop with the lady she started misfiring(car not the lady) which gradually got worse over the next few minutes. Was stuck in traffic at the time so I limped it to the parking lot which by then must've been running on 3 cylinders. I saw lighter colored smoke coming out of the back at some point and it reeked of gas/sulfur. She started once but very poorly immediately after it parked, and then after a half hour when we were done eating it wouldn't start at all(didn't have reader on me unfortunately).
Had the car towed to home where it pulled these codes
P0420 - Catalyst system efficiency Below threshold bank 1
P0300 - Random/multiple misfire detected
P0302 - Cylinder 2 misfire detected
P0089 - Fuel pressure regulator A performance
P0300 - Random/multiple cylinder misfire detected
P0302 - Cylinder 2 misfire detected
P0089 - fuel pressure regulator A performance
P0304 - cylinder 4 misfire detected
P014A - 02 sensor delayed response - Rich to lean bank 3 sensor 2
P0306 - Cylinder 6 misfire detected
P0420 - Catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1
P0089 - Fuel pressure regulator A performance
P0300 - random/multiple misfire detected
P0302 - cylinder 2 misfire detected

I was terrified because its a 3.6 that it was the timing chain. I had a replacement one Id been sitting on putting in, so I pulled it all apart and thankfully found the chains in good condition so I know it wasnt timing related. I threw the new timing chains on (following the procedure and video step by step) and am confident I put it back together correctly.

I changed the fuel injection pressure sensor on the 2 4 6 side fuel rail and have a brass sensor for near the fuel tank that I have yet to put on as well as throw on a MACE engineering 25mm intake riser/insulator. Still no start, charged the battery a bit since it was low and still no start. It now throws these codes
P0420
P0122 Throttle/Pedal position sensor/Switch A circuit Low
P0223 Throttle/Pedal position sensor /Switch B Circuit High
P0300
P0302
P0193 Fuel Rail Pressure sensor circuit high bank 1
P0089
p0122 again
P0223 again
P0300
P0302
P0193 again
P0089
P0304
P014A 02 Sensor delayed response - Rich to lean bank 2 sensor 2
P0306
P0420
P0089
P0300
P0302

Taking the fuel linkage lines to the rails off and turning the key I do get gas shooting out briefly, idk if that means high pressure pump is good or bad though.

Im using my spare car in the meantime but Im burning all my free time trying to fix this and I could use some help if anyone else has run into this before.
Attached Images

OnionBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 03:32 PM   #2
Mouse330

Drives: 2011 2SS, 2006 GMC Sierra
You've got misfires on 2,4,6 and you have raw fuel smell and smoke, I think you have stuck/sticking injectors dumping raw fuel into the cylinders, Common problem on the 3.6L. Does the oil have a heavy gas smell? Remove the spark plugs on bank 2 and see if they're gas fouled. Disable the fuel injectors to stop injector pulse. Crank the engine and check for signs of fuel getting into the cylinders. If u do find bad injectors I would replace them all and do an oil change.
Mouse330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 06:36 PM   #3
OnionBilly

When I had the cover off I dont recall the smell of gas, but it for sure was pouring gas in the cylinder when it died, I think contamination is very likely. Spark plugs were noticably more wet than the odd numbered side, though Ive seen some truly fouled plugs before. The tips of them are absolutely tiny though so maybe a little fouling hurts it more.

Ive got the injectors pulled and they dont visibly look much worse than the other side but new ones are probably a good idea anyway. It seems weird that theyd all start misfiring at once though, thats why I'm concerned of something prior to them on the line. Very limited on diagnosis tools currently.

Thanks for the response, going a little crazy over here! Might take the battery to the parts store to have it checked, though even when I have it cranking quickly it still does nothing so idk. Ive also heard that the HP fuel pump might do this, or potentially the tank fuel pump...I hope its neither!
Old 04-10-2024, 07:38 PM   #4
Mouse330

Drives: 2011 2SS, 2006 GMC Sierra
Battery ain’t the issue. But if u want have it checked, The P0089 is likely from the lose of high side fuel pressure which I think is from the injectors. At idle the high side should be between 500 and 800 psi. P0089 sets if the pressure increases or decreases off commanded by more than 365psi. If the injectors are sticking or stuck open this will be the case. Does the oil smell like gas?
Mouse330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 08:46 PM   #5
OnionBilly

Battery was largely the issue afterall, it was only putting out 12 volts not 12.4. Still took a ton of cranking but it did start, albeit roughly. Thought it had a head gasket leak at first since pure white smoke was coming out of the tailpipe and it running horribly at first. Turned it off and 30 minutes later it was running totally fine with no white smoke coming out the tailpipe. Did the blue fluid head gasket test and it checked out fine. Only issue now is it is severely overheating, talking 235 degrees coolant. No smoke out exhaust though, im thinking theres air in the cooling system since I had to drain a ton out doing the timing chains.

I have to say this is the worst coolant system "interface" if you want to call it that ive seen. What is the procedure for bleeding air from the system? keep cap off and let it warm up while topping it off? I want to try that before changing the thermostat which is on the back of the motor. Overflow tank level looks good but engine level looks low if that makes sense.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:49 PM   #6
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Vacuum coolant fill tool.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, llt v6, no start