Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #15
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Here in CO they are required to show you the Carfax report, and if I remember right, you have to sign your initials to confirm it was presented to you.

You should check to make sure they followed the law wrt legally required disclosures. If they did not, then you have a case. If not you may still be able to sue for damages as the car is not worth what they claimed it to be, whether it works now or not, the car has a defined value they mislead you about. This is likely to vary from state to state, so it's hard to say for sure, but I think you should press on and demand some money back.

Always demand the carfax from a dealer and buy one if it's a private party sale.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:15 PM   #16
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Contact your State Attorney Generals Office with this matter and get them involved, it's free!
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:49 PM   #17
Grimfrost769

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Here in CO they are required to show you the Carfax report, and if I remember right, you have to sign your initials to confirm it was presented to you.

You should check to make sure they followed the law wrt legally required disclosures. If they did not, then you have a case. If not you may still be able to sue for damages as the car is not worth what they claimed it to be, whether it works now or not, the car has a defined value they mislead you about. This is likely to vary from state to state, so it's hard to say for sure, but I think you should press on and demand some money back.

Always demand the carfax from a dealer and buy one if it's a private party sale.
I will check on this immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hprush View Post
Contact your State Attorney Generals Office with this matter and get them involved, it's free!
The state attorney generals office..how is that free? Pm me?
Grimfrost769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:55 PM   #18
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
if its not in writing it didnt happen. Never ask the salesperson something that will make you not buy the car. They will either not know or will lie. You should have just got That info in writing when you got back to the dealer. once you take delivery its too late. The dealers right. If the car works thats all that matters as far as the laws concerned.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:04 AM   #19
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Sorry you were lied to, but, you should always assume car dealers are lying to you unless proven otherwise.
Do you know what parts failed and how?
You may be fine, and in the end sometimes its better to get a car that has already had warranty work performed. At least you know those parts aren't going to fail on you.
Keep documentation of all this in case there is another failure, but if your car is mechanically sound and the work was done by an authorized dealer, then I'd say just drive your car and enjoy it.
Go back to the dealer, tell them you know the salesperson lied (or just didn't know), tell them you know that happens sometimes and its unfortunate but you will forgive them for it, and ask for some kind of compensation--more free maintenance, backup set of wheels, credit on parts/upgrades, something. There is a good chance they'll go for it. If not, walk away and go get a beer. And then consider how much time you want to spend on this, vs just enjoying your new car. Whatever happens, its still under factory warranty until 36k, and you just hope that whatever major things are going to happen, happen within that time frame. Go out and drive the car hard, try to get something to break, so if and when it does it gets repaired under warranty
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:39 AM   #20
Grimfrost769

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
if its not in writing it didnt happen. Never ask the salesperson something that will make you not buy the car. They will either not know or will lie. You should have just got That info in writing when you got back to the dealer. once you take delivery its too late. The dealers right. If the car works thats all that matters as far as the laws concerned.

I am looking into to it. You have a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
Sorry you were lied to, but, you should always assume car dealers are lying to you unless proven otherwise.
Do you know what parts failed and how?
You may be fine, and in the end sometimes its better to get a car that has already had warranty work performed. At least you know those parts aren't going to fail on you.
Keep documentation of all this in case there is another failure, but if your car is mechanically sound and the work was done by an authorized dealer, then I'd say just drive your car and enjoy it.
Go back to the dealer, tell them you know the salesperson lied (or just didn't know), tell them you know that happens sometimes and its unfortunate but you will forgive them for it, and ask for some kind of compensation--more free maintenance, backup set of wheels, credit on parts/upgrades, something. There is a good chance they'll go for it. If not, walk away and go get a beer. And then consider how much time you want to spend on this, vs just enjoying your new car. Whatever happens, its still under factory warranty until 36k, and you just hope that whatever major things are going to happen, happen within that time frame. Go out and drive the car hard, try to get something to break, so if and when it does it gets repaired under warranty

I went in there with the assumption they want money and they are car salesmen not my friends. However, this seems to be a rare case of something that should not have happened.
Grimfrost769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:46 AM   #21
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Just ask for some extra warranty time/miles. Say add gm warranty to the mileage when purchased and move on. IF future problems, let them fix. Then sell. Your in a box now. Cannot prove what was said etc... This is One reason I am so leery of used from someone I do not know. It may be a fine ride.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:58 AM   #22
WCKD 1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I'm assuming this is a chevy dealer, I would call GM and report the dealership and let GM put pressure on them. They seem to respond better after getting red flagged and their bonus's are on the line.
WCKD 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:59 AM   #23
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Sucks this happened to you but it does not surprise me in the least, car salesmen are the lowest scum of the earth and will tell you anything they can to get your money.

I had a situation on mine where I found a used one the way I wanted it but ti was 10 hours away. I talked to the sales guy about everything and we worked out an out the door price. In the bank parking lot the day before I called him and made sure we were correct om the price because we are driving 10 hours and we are getting a cashiers check and we want to make sure that the check was for the correct amount.

We drive 10 hours the next day go into the dealership and when we go to do the paperwork the car is now almost $3000 more because they added taxes to it. I was pissed and I let everyone know about it. He sent over his manager to "talk" to us and I asked the guy what an out the door price meant to him because his sales guy obviously didn't know the definition of it. We finally agreed to pay the taxes on a credit card because we hadn't brought anything else with us and when the sales guy came back he acted like nothing was wrong. I let him know I was unhappy with how I was lied to and he has the nerve to say that he thought everything was ok now that we had talked to the manager. No you POS it isn't, you lied to me and don't care. He said he would never lie to anyone it wasn't in his nature. I am still pissed about that.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:51 AM   #24
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior102 View Post
Anything can be fixed and it probably is but that information would have heavily influenced me, I would have walked on that car I'm too OCD for that.
At least you know it was fixed properly. I found out after I bought mine that a rod bearing was replaced at 7200 miles (11k miles now) when I took it in for the new trans fluid (different dealer than I bought the car at). I was very mad at the time, and visably so.... the service guy was laughing at me. He said "why are you so upset? It was fixed by an ASE certified Chevy technician. Go enjoy your car."

After I settled down I realized that things happen, at least I know it was fixed properly and I have a one year CPO warranty and 3 years left on powertrain. So I stopped worrying about it, and did just that. Enjoyed my car.

Look, it's awful they lied. But there probably isn't anything you can do now. As the service tech told me... Go enjoy your car.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:01 AM   #25
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
My after sales experience with dealershop has been terrible. Warranty work lied about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post

Carfax is useless when it comes to warranty work. The maintenance shown on a Carfax is typical stuff like tire rotations, oil changes, battery, and wiper blade. If connecting rods and bearings were replaced, it wouldn’t reflect on a Carfax as anything other than maintenance. The primary benefit of Carfax is when insurance body work is done in conjunction with an accident or the vehicle has a branded title (salvage/flood/rebuilt/lemon). Carfax is just another arm for insurance not for warranty. If a person pays out of pocket for some body work then it doesn’t reflect on the Carfax.

He doesn’t have a case because he has the burden of proof to show that the dealership did intentionally mislead him. Without documentation, it’s a his word against theirs case, and he’s never going to win that. Even if there were 10 other people that were mislead by the dealership and he managed to get signed statements from them all being mislead in the same way, it’s impossible to say that in this particular instance, for this particular case that he was mislead.

Now, if he has proof that the dealership looking into the maintenance history and then told him nothing was there, and assuming he purchased from a Chevrolet dealership, and assuming the warranty work was done at a Chevrolet dealership, meaning it is reasonable to expect that they have access to the vehicle’s warranty history then he has a case but that’s a lot of if’s to prove and very costly as those attorney fees add up, it’s not cheap to go down this path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by ecko04; 04-11-2019 at 09:17 AM.
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:02 AM   #26
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
My after sales experience with dealershop has been terrible. Warranty work lied about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimfrost769 View Post
They betrayed buyer confidence. This should be illegal.

https://media.giphy.com/media/jPAdK8Nfzzwt2/giphy.gif

It happens. It sucks, but it happens.

In all seriousness, you’re going to spin your wheels on this for quite some time if you’re inclined to go down that route and while you can certainly contact your state’s AG office, if they haven’t received a significant amount of inquiries about that particular dealer, or if it’s a chain, that particular dealer’s owner then nothing will happen other than it being noted that a complaint was filed. The AG offices are stretched way too thin for matters that don’t have a paper trail.

I would seriously go the route of the General Manager and owner of the dealership and deal directly with them. You may not be able to get them to budge on compensation but you may be able to get them to CPO the car, which gives you an additional powertrain warranty, for added peace of mind at no additional cost to you. I’d present them with the documentation that you have showing the warranty work that was done prior to your purchase that wasn’t disclosed and say as a good faith effort on their part they can at least CPO it to give you that added confidence that if anything should go wrong with the repairs that you are covered for the long haul since you did purchase from them.

It’s the least they can do and it’ll probably save you a lot of time, and money, going the attorney route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #27
TheWiseWolf

Drives: Camaro
How can you not ask for a carfax report for a used car?

granted it has low miles but still. I go through two sources to see what the history of the car is. Also I would get my personal mechanic to check to it also to see if any work was done.

I never believe anything from the dealer, anything. I look for my self and make the judgement.

I'm in the market for a used car and I was close to getting this 2017 2SS but it made a weird sound. They said it was ok and normal

I went to 3 other dealerships and they said it not normal.

Dealership people arnt your friend. They are friends to your wallet.
TheWiseWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:39 AM   #28
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Most salespeople are out for themselves to make as many commissions as they can because it’s their livelihood! There are a handful of honest salesmen around but the vast majority aren’t honest and only care about the customer until after the sale is done when the vehicle drives off the lot. I can understand you being really upset about the car but what kind of compensation are you looking to get? Money, extended warranty or something else? I would go the route that several of the folks replied to your post and see what results you can get with your situation. And a salesperson is not a friend to you. They are just out there to make a living!