Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #29
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
OK... Lets really change it up ... Lets say we took the V6 out of a Buick Grand National and stuck it in a 2Lt/RS ...... Now how will it perform against a SS ..... Still think that V6 will get smoked ?
Uh........ can you do that?

Old 08-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #30
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
You would have to do some custom mounts and wire, but it would run .......

I've read a few blogs that they may be going to the 3.8 in the future.... Have to wait and see.... The Grand Nationals use to run 12's in the 1/4 ..... That's good and still get 20 mpg with A/C and full power... And Free Bird blasting .....
Old 08-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #31
383ss

Drives: 1985 IROC, 2011 Camaro
Quote:
That's right 60's era ..... Hmmmm ever ask your self why NASCAR went to small block engines ? That's right small blocks, 358 c.i. @850 HP ..... What was that, because they have better bottom end torque and power.... That's what I thought you said .....
wow, I feel so much smarter now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsdguru View Post
31000 for ss1 no options and who in the hell would buy a SS1 V6 for kids SS1 for girls LS3 the only way to go G8 Gxp 200lbs more my bad so lets think here 200lb more 27 less hp so 5 tenths slower now 373 gear now mabe 3tenths slower 4 door car sad so so sad
Old 08-02-2009, 12:27 PM   #32
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
OK... Lets really change it up ... Lets say we took the V6 out of a Buick Grand National and stuck it in a 2Lt/RS ...... Now how will it perform against a SS ..... Still think that V6 will get smoked ?
On the off chance that you're not just jerking people around by posting nonsense...

If the GN engine was stock, yes, it would get smoked... badly.

Put maybe $1,000 - $1500 into the GN/Camaro and it'll run with the SS.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #33
SlingShot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
On the off chance that you're not just jerking people around by posting nonsense...

If the GN engine was stock, yes, it would get smoked... badly.

Put maybe $1,000 - $1500 into the GN/Camaro and it'll run with the SS.

Nonsense ? 1987 Grand National 3.8 Stock GNX 0-60 5 sec. 1/4 mile high 12's

And you still say it will get smoked by a stock SS.... The numbers are pretty much the same for both cars.

Last edited by SlingShot; 08-02-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #34
Iron Lung Jimmy

Quote:
Nonsense ? 1987 Grand National 3.8 Stock 0-60 5 sec. 1/4 mile high 12's

And you still say it will get smoked by a stock SS.... The numbers are pretty much the same for both cars.
Total nonsense.

Where in the world did you come up with high 12's for a stock GN?
Old 08-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #35
SlingShot

Typical write up for the 87 GNX...... But in the last year of production for the Grand National ( GN ), the GNX was created and it beat the Corvette hands down on the 0-60 times and the 1/4 mile times, making it the fastest production car EVER made at that time. The GNX had a 0-60 time of 4.7 seconds and a 1/4 mile time of just over 13 seconds and it was a sedan!! So GM pulled the plug on the Grand National because of the Corvette.

If you take the time to look around you will find many videos of GNX runs that are way below write up times. I don't know what your definition of smoked is, but running better with less than 1 sec time is not smoked ..... Don't forget we are talking about stock V6 Vs. V8

It's a fact that engines with shorter strokes and higher compression will take it off the line, but the longer stroke will ramp up and ultimately win. It's like comparing a 2 stroke against a 4 stroke, the 2 stroke is made for bottom end high RPM ....
Old 08-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #36
Iron Lung Jimmy

It's raining... I'm bored...

Quote:
Typical write up for the 87 GNX...... But in the last year of production for the Grand National ( GN ), the GNX was created and it beat the Corvette hands down on the 0-60 times and the 1/4 mile times, making it the fastest production car EVER made at that time. The GNX had a 0-60 time of 4.7 seconds and a 1/4 mile time of just over 13 seconds and it was a sedan!!
First of all, using the GNX as an example of what stock GN's could run is like using the ZR-1 as an example of what stock Corvette's can run.

Second of all, most published GNX runs were in the 13.3-13.4 second neighborhood. I think I saw one as low as 13.12 or something like that but that was definitely the exception.

A regular, stock GN typically ran 14.1-14.2.

Quote:
So GM pulled the plug on the Grand National because of the Corvette.
GM pulled the plug on the Grand National because Buick Regals went to FWD in 1988.

Quote:
If you take the time to look around you will find many videos of GNX runs that are way below write up times. I don't know what your definition of smoked is, but running better with less than 1 sec time is not smoked ..... Don't forget we are talking about stock V6 Vs. V8
No you won't, because that's all the faster they will go stock... and hardly anybody modded GNX's. You will find plenty of 11 second GN's, though... but those are all modded.

Quote:
It's a fact that engines with shorter strokes and higher compression will take it off the line, but the longer stroke will ramp up and ultimately win. It's like comparing a 2 stroke against a 4 stroke, the 2 stroke is made for bottom end high RPM ....
I don't know what "bottom end high RPM" is supposed to mean but somewhere in a prior post you said small blocks have better bottom end torque and power than big blocks... which is patently ridiculous... so I'm not going to waste time debating that with you.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:42 PM   #37
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
What if we could put the booster rockets from the space shuttle in a LT...would it win then?
Old 08-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #38
Baughman

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
What if we could put the booster rockets from the space shuttle in a LT...would it win then?
This guys is wearing me out.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #39
duder4thgen

Drives: Bird
Quote:
I'd say Lt off the line, SS mid way, top end same ....
Negative. Stock vs. stock the ls3 has anywhere between 80-150 lb/ft more than the 3.6DI across the entire rpm range. There is not enough of a gearing or weight difference to help out the LT, even with a tune. A SS would already be pulling away shifting out of first gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot
Have you done much street racing ? Small block will smoke a big block off the line, then the big block will catch and smoke the small block.... It's all a matter of the torque curve. The big block does much better from a roll ... Same principle V6 against V8 .... Both are governed for the same top end ..... Don't forget the Lt is tuned and the SS is stock ... ( with proper tune it is very possible )
Quote:
Read my post ... "small block" was used in an analogy as far as power and torque curv ...... I NEVER said a V6 was a small block ..... READ before posting ...

Ah your just a youngin I take it ..... Besides all this was purely hypothetical ....
Quote:

That's right 60's era ..... Hmmmm ever ask your self why NASCAR went to small block engines ? That's right small blocks, 358 c.i. @850 HP ..... What was that, because they have better bottom end torque and power.... That's what I thought you said .....
Just to clear it up, a small block called such because of the physical size of the block, and the same with a big block. Has nothing to do with the torque curve of the motor.

Next, it is impossible to say a big block is always going to put out power in a certain range, same with a small block. It all depends on how the motor is built, and what cam you have in there. If you were going to generalize, then you have it backwards. I'd say a big block would have a lower powerband than a small block, so a big block would smoke it off the line, and a small block would catch up when it gets up in the rpms. Generalizing, big blocks are better than small blocks for low end power.

Also, NASCAR has absolutely no use for low-end power, none. IIRC they spend almost the entire race around 8k-9k rpms. That is where you need top end power, not bottom end.

Quote:
It might, maybe keep up with a SS, but a GNX was about ~200lbs lighter than the body you're talking about putting it in, so its not gonna run nearly as good. You'd do alot better just buying a SS; that GNX motor, with its turbo, plumbing, intercooler, and cast iron block is going to weigh more than a ls3; not to mention the cost involved to do a swap like that right. I'd rather just cut to the chase and buy the SS and the warranty it comes with.

Quote:
Again, really depends how the motor is built, but if I were going to generalize I'd say you have it backwards. A motor with a longer stroke generally will not be able to spin as fast as one with a lower stroke. Generally people build 'strokers', engines with longer strokes, for low end power; and engines with less stroke for high rpm power.

FYI, 2 stokes havent been used outside chainsaws and bikes in a long, long time. Don't know why you bring em up..
Old 08-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #40
duder4thgen

Drives: Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
Well if your gonna do that then your gonna have to put the old f-1 saturn V rockets on the SS to make it fair. But the SRB's make 1.8 times the boost as the f-1s, but a ls3 can get like 60rwhp with a cat back and a tune so I'm gonna say the SS FTW.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #41
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Geesh I see they are allowing the residents of the mental ward time on the internet again
Old 08-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #42
glambert1
HOMER

Drives: 2010 camaro 2LT RS SIM
is it really neccessary for everyone to try to make others out like they are idiots for just asking questions

Closed Thread