alssiri

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
SuperCharger Upgrade

Thinking of ditching the 1.7 unit .
Which is worth changing to & why ?
Edelbrock TVS2650 (larger intercooler).

MagnaCharger HeartBeat 2650.

Whipple 2900 (larger displacement).

I am leaning more to the Edelbrock cause of the larger intercooler.
TIA.

Ahmad
2012 ZL1 A6 (SOLD)
Forged 376 CI, LSA HeartBeat, Mast Medium Bore Heads & JDP ZLR Cam, ARH LT , MagnaFlow Resonated X + Borla Atak Catback, ADM 102mm Snout, CAI, NW102MM TB, ID850, Fore Triple Fuel Pump, MSD Wire's, Moroso CC.
Alky Control, FIICHILLER.
alssiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:36 AM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Better cooling > brand.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:10 AM   #3
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Magnuson makes the perfect setup for your application. You'll have more torque and hp at the wheels and you'll love the additional power on the street and track. It will be a direct fit.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:33 AM   #4
alssiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
Magnuson makes the perfect setup for your application. You'll have more torque and hp at the wheels and you'll love the additional power on the street and track. It will be a direct fit.
I had the Heartbeat on my 5th gen ZL1 & wasn't that happy with the difference & even the heat soak wasn't improved much , I don't know about the 2650 though.

Ahmad
2012 ZL1 A6 (SOLD)
Forged 376 CI, LSA HeartBeat, Mast Medium Bore Heads & JDP ZLR Cam, ARH LT , MagnaFlow Resonated X + Borla Atak Catback, ADM 102mm Snout, CAI, NW102MM TB, ID850, Fore Triple Fuel Pump, MSD Wire's, Moroso CC.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:04 AM   #5
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
How is that? the magnuson 2650 isn't out yet for the zl1 theoretically. there should be 1 or 2 at the maggi both at cfest though.. my friend has a 2650 that will be at the both told me his numbers his mods are the same as redline edelbrock test car and they were higher on the eforce. Of course cam specs, porting and different TB company can make a little difference..

We all know that maggies do usually make the most power but TQ I don't think so.. the eforce been long know for lower HP but higher TQ numbers due to longer runners that increase TQ but slow the velocity down to make any big power. the slowed velocity also creates higher IATs but the 6 gen 2300 gotten a lot better and moving the IAT sensors has netted the same performance as the Maggi..

With the 2650 I think its gonna be apple to apples now.. with low clearance required for the larger rotors the design of the runners is going to be very similar.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #6
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Well the ZL1 itself was built with cooling in mind. I think the Whipple 2.9 is the way to go. The extra displacement will mean more boost without having to spin it as fast as the smaller 2650s thus keeping the heat down. Of course a centri setup would be cooler than any PD. But between these I'd take the Whipple. Or whichever is the cheapest, lol!! They're all capable of delivering more power that the stock heads and cam will allow anyway. And they'll all cool efficiently. So if you're not planning on doing a cam or heads then get whichever one gives you the better deal.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:08 AM   #7
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Well the ZL1 itself was built with cooling in mind. I think the Whipple 2.9 is the way to go. The extra displacement will mean more boost without having to spin it as fast as the smaller 2650s thus keeping the heat down. Of course a centri setup would be cooler than any PD. But between these I'd take the Whipple. Or whichever is the cheapest, lol!! They're all capable of delivering more power that the stock heads and cam will allow anyway. And they'll all cool efficiently. So if you're not planning on doing a cam or heads then get whichever one gives you the better deal.
Normally I would agree but according to independent testing if they arent lying..

The new rotors are still a 4-lobe design but now have 170 degrees of twist compared to 160 degrees on the 2300 model. The extra twist shortens the rotor lead to help maintain efficiency at higher speeds and pressure ratios. Other features include larger bearings, thicker timing gears and pressure relief ports in the bearing plate to help reduce friction. Initial testing by Edelbrock shows the 2650 can outperform competitive 2.9-liter superchargers.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
Old 07-08-2018, 11:39 AM   #8
alssiri

Forgot to mention my current mods :
- CAI Elite Carbon Intake .
Ordered to be installed:
- LG Motorsports LT with offroad to the stock npp .
- Weapon-X Stage 3 cam - The wXm Trap Star .
- BTR heat exchanger tank .

Ahmad
2012 ZL1 A6 (SOLD)
Old 07-08-2018, 12:01 PM   #9
onelfastlride

Drives: Camaro
Having an 03' Cobra that had a Kenne Bell and having a 13' GT500.

In the mustang world the Whipple blowers have always been seen by some as second choice to a Kenne Bell and thought to be not as efficient. And with the 13-14' GT500 with a 2.3L TVS most people won't even consider a 2.9L Whipple because it has been proven time and time again that the 2.9L size increase isn't enough to make up for the lack of Whipple efficiency to out power the 2.3L TVS for the $$. The newer Eaton TVS technology has proven reliable and to make power.

Proof is VMP selling TVS technology blowers and guys buying those instead of Whipple or Kenne Bell and running as fast or faster. Roush / Ford use the TVS blower and warranty them. My 13' makes over 800 rwhp with a little more left in the stock 2.3 TVS. A friend makes 895 rwhp with same mods but the addition of cams. The blower has more in it, the cams are the restriction for me at this point.

* **. All that said, the latest Whipple Gen 3 has been seen to be worth the power to swap a TVS blower for a similar sized Whipple, question is $.
onelfastlride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:28 PM   #10
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
Normally I would agree but according to independent testing if they arent lying..

The new rotors are still a 4-lobe design but now have 170 degrees of twist compared to 160 degrees on the 2300 model. The extra twist shortens the rotor lead to help maintain efficiency at higher speeds and pressure ratios. Other features include larger bearings, thicker timing gears and pressure relief ports in the bearing plate to help reduce friction. Initial testing by Edelbrock shows the 2650 can outperform competitive 2.9-liter superchargers.
Initial testing...what about the final testing results? LOL! And I'm sure that the ones who tested it are the same ones who are selling/marketing it. Look at it like this, GM designed the 1.7 liter blower on the LT4 to be efficient enough to surpass the 1.9 liter blower on the LSA. But that is when you spin it at an RPM that is optimal for the 1.7 and compare it to the same RPM of the 1.9. So which one would have more potential overall? I'd be willing to guess that if you compared both blowers at their absolute best then the 2.9 Whipple would be clearly ahead.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #11
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
I researched everything that I could about gains, reliability, and driveability. I also talked with Ben and a couple other Builders.
My build with be with a 2.9 Whipple.
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:06 PM   #12
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Whipple.. Reliable lol just type in belt shredding and mis alignments. .a few cases on 6 gen all ready shown up but a ton on the 5 gen.. I used to go to all the dyno open house events in Houston which is a butt load.. I could tell people what car had Whipple's with out them running and hood closed.. they were like how did you know? I said by the big ass dent in the hood from the belt.. I bet I counted 30 in 1 year. Enough to make a good friend de mod and go NA such a bad experience. But you'll probably be ok it could of been poor installs or weak tensioners. I can't say I have heard of a eforce or maggi having that many problems w belts.

It's nice that they offer a bigger blower 2.9 bUT if the 2650 smaller pack competes.. flows more w less heat then we got a winner. Company competition is great we get to benefit from new product improvements all the time to make our cars faster and more enjoyable! It probably force whipple to come up with something new..

Old 07-08-2018, 08:16 PM   #13
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
Yep, I know...every Whipple made has destroyed belts and hoods!lol
My Caddie buds and my other two Zl1 buddies must be exceptions also???
Since I'm old and tired, I'm just gonna let Weapon-X do my build for me...they seem to have no issue with the Whipple either....because at the open house earlier in the year, I would swear there were 15 or 20 of them cruising around...without buldged hoods??? Who knows, maybe a quality shop makes a difference??
So make mine a Whipple installed by Ben's guys...to go with my Flowmaster Outlaw system...just to be different!lol
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:17 AM   #14
alssiri

Cooling is the main factor here , it reaches +45C overhere in summer, so let's talk about the cooling advantages from these .
The Edelbrock have a larger cooling brick compared to the Maggie & Whipple, which one is capable of lowering iat more ?
The bypass valve designe is different in the three , Magie & Whipple is on the outside but Edelbrock has it inside the unit , I don't know what difference does it make

Ahmad
2012 ZL1 A6 (SOLD)