Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
uIncorporated

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT MT+ RS/BA Sound
Driver-Side Lumbar support

This is my first post to this forum. I honestly was wanting to find a post I could amend to introduce myself in but the opportunity has yet to come. So with that said...

Hello!

Back on topic. I've been experiencing a major issue (for me) with the lumbar support on the drivers-side seat. When I originally purchased the car in March I had heard a pop sound come from the seat while trying to get my wallet from my back pocket. For months after that my back was getting very sore from sitting in the car on short drive and down right painful on long drives. I actually though I might have injured my back but once I noticed how comfortable the passanger seat was I realized it wasn't me. So I took it in (unfortunately it took 3 trips for the dealership to fix) and it was determined that the lumbar support had broken and needed to be replaced along with the back pad. This was 2 weeks ago.

Yesterday I get in my car, drive around town and stop for gas and as I'm getting out of the car I hear the same pop again and the cushion is uncomfortable. The lumbar support is either broken or has slipped out of place. Either way I brought it back into the dealership for them to look at it again.

I'm 6'7" and a very lean 245lbs. I am guessing I'm not the only heavy person sitting in these seats but is anyone else experiencing these issues? My searches on the internet turn up nothing which makes me think my car is telling me that I need to loose weight...

Any insight as to what I can do to either get GM/dealership to perma-fix this or tips to keep this from breaking would be greatly appreciated.
uIncorporated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by uIncorporated View Post
This is my first post to this forum. I honestly was wanting to find a post I could amend to introduce myself in but the opportunity has yet to come. So with that said...

Hello!

Back on topic. I've been experiencing a major issue (for me) with the lumbar support on the drivers-side seat. When I originally purchased the car in March I had heard a pop sound come from the seat while trying to get my wallet from my back pocket. For months after that my back was getting very sore from sitting in the car on short drive and down right painful on long drives. I actually though I might have injured my back but once I noticed how comfortable the passanger seat was I realized it wasn't me. So I took it in (unfortunately it took 3 trips for the dealership to fix) and it was determined that the lumbar support had broken and needed to be replaced along with the back pad. This was 2 weeks ago.

Yesterday I get in my car, drive around town and stop for gas and as I'm getting out of the car I hear the same pop again and the cushion is uncomfortable. The lumbar support is either broken or has slipped out of place. Either way I brought it back into the dealership for them to look at it again.

I'm 6'7" and a very lean 245lbs. I am guessing I'm not the only heavy person sitting in these seats but is anyone else experiencing these issues? My searches on the internet turn up nothing which makes me think my car is telling me that I need to loose weight...

Any insight as to what I can do to either get GM/dealership to perma-fix this or tips to keep this from breaking would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Camaro5, officially! Please let us know how the service goes for your lumbar support.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-10-2013, 03:18 AM   #3
MikeJrSS

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Bump on this. My seat has done the same thing now. Any new info out there about this?
MikeJrSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #4
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I wasn't aware that Camaro's had adjustable lumbar? Unless it's something I that came out after 2010 first production models (which is my car). Now if your car doesn't have adjustable lumbar and your hearing a loud pop and then u find that the lumbar goes away, either your breaking the entire rear seat frame or doing something really wrong.

I know the Equinox and Terrain have revised adjustable lumbars with two fasteners on each side instead of 1 because the bolt kept breaking on the drive side portion of the seat.

I really don't mean this is a disrespectful way, but the only time I've seen a customer break or flatten seats, break either lumbars, frames and flatten the foam core is because they are generally much large(r) people and have a hard time getting in and out of the vehicle.

But for your issue, either the rear section of the frame is broken, of the foam cushion is totally toast, if ur car has adjustable lumbar, I can pretty much guaranty it's a broken lumbar assembly or a broken lumbar assembly retainer.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
MikeJrSS,
If you decide to get the lumbar issue checked into at your dealership, let us know. We're available if you feel you need additional support.

Sarah (Assisting William)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 08-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
Caswell239

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Wait... Our cars have lumbar? I just drove 2000kms cursing and swearing that it didnt have lumbar... Hmm
Caswell239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
mikej411

Drives: Silver 2010 camaro
MikeJrSSand uIncorporated,

This has been an ongoing issue in my 2010 v6 LT camaro. Its been about a year. I have taken it to the same Chevrolet dealership about 3 times now and the same guy says he will fix it. I go to pickup my car and it will be fine for a month with the fix. Then after that month, I start to feel the 'pop' in the lumbar area again everytime I lean my lower back into the seat. It gets worse as I leave it alone.

Has anyone had any luck figuring out what the problem is? I think my problem is the same as yours. However the pop I hear isnt that loud of a pop, but you definitely feel it pop when you lean into it and feel it sink so your lower back gets no support.

What exactly is this guy fixing, and why is it not lasting? Couldn't they just install a new seat? Im under warranty. Is there anyone else I can contact instead of this local dealership? And if not, what do I tell this guy so he does it right this time?
mikej411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:09 AM   #8
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej411 View Post
MikeJrSSand uIncorporated,

This has been an ongoing issue in my 2010 v6 LT camaro. Its been about a year. I have taken it to the same Chevrolet dealership about 3 times now and the same guy says he will fix it. I go to pickup my car and it will be fine for a month with the fix. Then after that month, I start to feel the 'pop' in the lumbar area again everytime I lean my lower back into the seat. It gets worse as I leave it alone.

Has anyone had any luck figuring out what the problem is? I think my problem is the same as yours. However the pop I hear isnt that loud of a pop, but you definitely feel it pop when you lean into it and feel it sink so your lower back gets no support.

What exactly is this guy fixing, and why is it not lasting? Couldn't they just install a new seat? Im under warranty. Is there anyone else I can contact instead of this local dealership? And if not, what do I tell this guy so he does it right this time?
RESURRECTING!!

I took my seat apart and noticed that the lumbar support is breaking.
AKA this thing: https://www.gmpartsonline.net/oem-pa...YtMmwtdjgtZ2Fz
Old 10-08-2017, 02:01 PM   #9
kennyo

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos30 View Post
RESURRECTING!!

I took my seat apart and noticed that the lumbar support is breaking.
AKA this thing: https://www.gmpartsonline.net/oem-pa...YtMmwtdjgtZ2Fz
Exactly what just happened to me-I was replacing my leather covering this week and noticed a piece broken off and missing.I was wondering if I would be able to use a tie-wrap or something to secure it.