Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 05-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
DMDTexAg06

Drives: 2018 2SS Convertible Nightfall Gray
Nitrous and the factory waranty

So I keep looking at the nitrous kits and I'm getting an itchy buying finger but the only thing holding me back is I don't want to lose my factory warranty. Is there any way to install it stealthily enough so that the average Joe blow mechanic at the dealer won't look twice?
DMDTexAg06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Mine is pretty stealthy (pumps and controller in the wheel well) and could have easily made it even more stealthy, but there's no way to hide the lines and plate at the throttle body with the engine cover off. If they don't remove that it might be possible but I doubt it.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Simple. Remove it before you go in for warranty work. Pain in the ass I know, but you got to pay to play
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
The main remnants from a nitrous kit, generally speaking, will be where your shark nozzle was attached to your intake, where you tapped your fuel line, and splicing on electrical wires depending on how you wired your system up.

Odds are if you are using nitrous youll be using an aftermarket intake. So putting your stock airbox back on eill handle that problem.

You could always order an extra OEM fuel hose so replace whichever one you will tap into. You could then take off the tapped one and put a normal looking one back on before going in.

As for electrical, odds are they wont look for it but if you are discreet enough they probably wont be checking those anyway.

Besides those general things it would be very difficult for them to detect nitrous. You could probably blow the motor, take everything off, and they couldnt tell it was nitrous. They may suspect it but it doesnt leave much evidence.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
If you blow your motor using nitrous and you remove it and tell them "it just happened on main street", not only will they be able to tell that it was nitrous (do not believe any of the advice above), but chances are you'll find it difficult to get any warranty work done ever again (because, you know, you lied to them). Douche bags modding their cars and lying to dealers contribute to the cost of warranties, for most dealers frowning on modded cars, and generally harm relationships with us modders, GM, and our dealers.

Get to know your dealer and the service department, show them your mods, let them install some of your mods even, tell them your track stories, and they'll work with you. If you blow your motor, you'll pay for it, but your dealer won't show you the door.

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919

Last edited by Padre; 05-09-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
Capthowdy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to Capthowdy
Why all the name calling? Just say you don't approve but all the name calling? is that a bit harsh? no? to each his own...
Old 05-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #7
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthowdy View Post
Why all the name calling? Just say you don't approve but all the name calling? is that a bit harsh? no?
That's why I put the But I have met a douchbag who tried the "it blew up on mainstreet" line with the dealer before (he was racing me at the track and left 2nd gear at the sixty-foot mark). The laughter echoed all around town (because his friends told the dealer) and most everybody agreed he was, indeed, a douchebag.

Besides, I did not say the OP was a douchebag. I said he would be if he lied to his dealer. I mean, really, post all over the forums (that dealers read), "How can I lie to my dealer?" Brilliant!

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #8
DMDTexAg06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
That's why I put the But I have met a douchbag who tried the "it blew up on mainstreet" line with the dealer before (he was racing me at the track and left 2nd gear at the sixty-foot mark). The laughter echoed all around town (because his friends told the dealer) and most everybody agreed he was, indeed, a douchebag.

Besides, I did not say the OP was a douchebag. I said he would be if he lied to his dealer. I mean, really, post all over the forums (that dealers read), "How can I lie to my dealer?" Brilliant!

Padre
Seriously, chill out buddy. It was a question; I wasn't aware I was going to get your panties in a bunch. Did I say I was going to race on the street? I'm not an idiot, I just want a little 50 shot for those days at the track when I feel like having some fun. I had a dealer try to cancel my warranty for a K&N filter, so if you are looking for sympathy from me for dealerships, whose main goal is gettting more money out of me for parts and labor I can get cheaper everywhere else, you're out of luck. If anyone else has any comments that they wish to convey with out resorting to infantile name calling, I weclome the advice.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDTexAg06 View Post
Seriously, chill out buddy. It was a question; I wasn't aware I was going to get your panties in a bunch. Did I say I was going to race on the street? I'm not an idiot, I just want a little 50 shot for those days at the track when I feel like having some fun. I had a dealer try to cancel my warranty for a K&N filter, so if you are looking for sympathy from me for dealerships, whose main goal is gettting more money out of me for parts and labor I can get cheaper everywhere else, you're out of luck. If anyone else has any comments that they wish to convey with out resorting to infantile name calling, I weclome the advice.
I agree with the guy above. If you blow your car up and lie to the dealer about it and it gets covered you cost everyone else money. GM doesnt fix them for free. They raise the price of their product up in order to compensate for warranty work. In the long run it costs everyone more. Just like stealing. If a store gets robbed they will increase prices in order to compensate for the loss. Your stealing free parts from your dealer by blowing your car up and getting it covered. Do I personally care. Not really because this is the last GM I will be purchasing. Also the last brand new car I will every be buying. Im just saying its stealing.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
I agree with the guy above. If you blow your car up and lie to the dealer about it and it gets covered you cost everyone else money. GM doesnt fix them for free. They raise the price of their product up in order to compensate for warranty work. In the long run it costs everyone more. Just like stealing. If a store gets robbed they will increase prices in order to compensate for the loss. Your stealing free parts from your dealer by blowing your car up and getting it covered. Do I personally care. Not really because this is the last GM I will be purchasing. Also the last brand new car I will every be buying. Im just saying its stealing.
I think what the OP means is he takes his car in for ANY kind of warranty work and the dealership sees the N20 kit and they threaten to void his entire warranty. See his post about the K&N filter... He not asking how to cover his tracks if he blows his motor... he just doesn't want to get hassled when he takes his car in for some completely unrelated problem...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #11
Capthowdy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to Capthowdy
I don't approve of these practices myself....it is stealing...the dealers are not that dumb though...there will always be someone that tries to beat the systems...hence the program counters in the pcm...
Old 05-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #12
Hawkeye David
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDTexAg06 View Post
+1

I'm thinking about the nitrous setup myself and since you are not far from Houston I would suggest you give A.R.D. a call. The owner runs nitrous in his SS and recently had someone offer up a V6 to test with NOS and some other mods. I'm inclined to believe they can deliver after meeting Owen and the article that was published in the 1st CamaroNow magazine.

Advanced Racing Dynamics
5023 Addicks Satsuma RD Suite BC&D
Houston, TX 77084
Phone: (832) 593-9140
Attached Images

Hawkeye David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #13
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Pretty cut and dried. If you value the factory warranty - don't put nitrous on it. If you want to enjoy the extra blast the nitrous gives you - then by all means install it, but if you break it don't ask for GM to cover it. As far as an unrelated problem - that will undoubtedly be at the discretion of the dealership. Most are pretty decent. They really do want repeat business.

Which ever you choose - enjoy your Camaro !
Old 05-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #14
DMDTexAg06

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
I think what the OP means is he takes his car in for ANY kind of warranty work and the dealership sees the N20 kit and they threaten to void his entire warranty. See his post about the K&N filter... He not asking how to cover his tracks if he blows his motor... he just doesn't want to get hassled when he takes his car in for some completely unrelated problem...
Exactly! If I blow my engine then I'll eat the cost, but I don't want to go in for something simple like an oil change and get denied ny warranty.