Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-18-2019, 05:15 PM   #1
@ReaperZL1

Drives: 2013 camaro zl1 aka the Reaper
416ci or 427ci and what blower?

whats going on everyone, fairly new to the forum but have had my ZL1 for going on three years.. i make currently 723rwhp 692rwtq and mods are as follow;
custom grind cam
fore innovations double pump with E85 sensor
2.55 upper, 8.66 lower
afco heat exchanger
ID1050x injectors
mantic triple disc (dealer& sponsor)
1 7/8x3" kooks headers, cattless mids
corsa 3" catback
theres other smaller supporting mods like catch can, HX resevoir etc.

my tuner is saying that i shouldnt really push the block to much farther and for almost the same price i could go to a 416. my question is, is it worth it to go to a 416ci block or spend the money and go with a 427ci? i plan on staying S/C but dont know if it would good to stay with the LSA blower or upgrade and if so what to. any experience/advice/info would be greatly appreciated.
@ReaperZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:03 AM   #2
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Horsepower is addicting...... gotta pay to play.

I've always believe the LSA to be a rock solid engine. Takes to mods very well and takes a beating as well.

You can setup and I love the sound of the 427 in the z/28's but they have their own set of issues.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:16 AM   #3
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
In order to pump enough air for a 416 or 427 with your LSA blower, you will need more rpms. Bigger lower pulley. This will max out the little LSA blower. I'm 2.5/10 and I'm maxed out.

More cubes will probably require a bigger blower.

What's wrong with what you have?
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:46 AM   #4
@ReaperZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
In order to pump enough air for a 416 or 427 with your LSA blower, you will need more rpms. Bigger lower pulley. This will max out the little LSA blower. I'm 2.5/10 and I'm maxed out.

More cubes will probably require a bigger blower.

What's wrong with what you have?

theres nothing wrong with what i have, im trying to make more power though. my tuner is just saying i shouldnt push the stock block to much further unless i upgrade the internals. but for the same price as forging the stock displacement i could just go with a 416.. how many people on here have tried the maggie heartbeat? ive thought about that but then i also know harrap makes the 2650 and i have a buddy testing it out right now but on a 388ci block if i remember correctly.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #5
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
I've heard the Heartbeat has slip issues. Check with ADM, he has installed tons of them.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:55 PM   #6
@ReaperZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
I've heard the Heartbeat has slip issues. Check with ADM, he has installed tons of them.

i am sending him an email as i speak.

ive heard a lot off goods and bads with the heartbeat, how many people on here actually run them on here?
Old 01-19-2019, 01:42 PM   #7
PlatinumIce
WILD CANADIAN HEARTBEAT

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE RS, 2014 ZL1& 2024 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by @ReaperZL1 View Post
i am sending him an email as i speak.

ive heard a lot off goods and bads with the heartbeat, how many people on here actually run them on here?
My 1LE with race fuel pushes 740 plus rwhp with only 6 rib and I have had zero slippage. My ZL1 has a 417 with a heartbeat aswell, but getting some upgrades and I haven’t driven it yet to see how it holds with the 8 rib. I am not expecting any issues there either.
700/633 91Octane Street Tune=750/670 VP109 Race Tune TVS2300 Heartbeat SC,ADM Dual Fuel Pumps/ Module, BRM lowered 1", performance rotors, hawks pads, SS Braided lines, GT-14cam, 78mm pulley, AR LT Headers, Cat Deletes, Borla S catback, tinted, 1/LE emblems, 65lb Injectors, Elite catch can,dual valve springs, titanium retainers, super conductor wires and insulators, Robo Fab CAI, Oversize intercooler reservoir, Oracle ghost side markers, Black out Bowties & SS,ZL1 splash guards, Michelin PSS. Built and tuned by Davenport Motorsports (WILD1LE)
PlatinumIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #8
@ReaperZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumIce View Post
My 1LE with race fuel pushes 740 plus rwhp with only 6 rib and I have had zero slippage. My ZL1 has a 417 with a heartbeat aswell, but getting some upgrades and I haven’t driven it yet to see how it holds with the 8 rib. I am not expecting any issues there either.

definitely please keep me in the loop with your build, yours is similar to what im doing. im curious to see your trq curve with the heartbeat. my trq curve doesnt even really drop hardly any and i love how it feels and dont want to lose it.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:02 PM   #9
nolandkropf

Drives: 14 Camaro ZL1 coupe
14 camaro ZL1, mt
last year I did a 416 and had my stock blower ported and polished by Jokerz performance. He did an awesome job. Made 835hp and 813 torque
nolandkropf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:01 PM   #10
DSMer1

Drives: 14 and 15 SS's
If considering a blower swap, I would be looking at a 2650 with the lsa drive. I think the whipple 2.9 is also a option... Iirc the Camaro SS Whipple 2.9 is setup for the truck spacing and lines up with the lsa 3rd belt so it can driven like your lsa was. I think ADM is the go to for this. Some searching is in order if you are looking to go that way.
The 1.9 has been used successfully on 416 and 427" motors, many times. Do some searching on the V boards.
Personally, I don't think the bigger blower gives enough gains for the cost if you already have a lsa setup. The lsa blower has really impressed.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:22 AM   #11
@ReaperZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolandkropf View Post
14 camaro ZL1, mt
last year I did a 416 and had my stock blower ported and polished by Jokerz performance. He did an awesome job. Made 835hp and 813 torque
what fuel were you using and was there meth and or nitrous involved?
Old 01-20-2019, 10:27 AM   #12
@ReaperZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer1 View Post
If considering a blower swap, I would be looking at a 2650 with the lsa drive. I think the whipple 2.9 is also a option... Iirc the Camaro SS Whipple 2.9 is setup for the truck spacing and lines up with the lsa 3rd belt so it can driven like your lsa was. I think ADM is the go to for this. Some searching is in order if you are looking to go that way.
The 1.9 has been used successfully on 416 and 427" motors, many times. Do some searching on the V boards.
Personally, I don't think the bigger blower gives enough gains for the cost if you already have a lsa setup. The lsa blower has really impressed.
ill definitely look around on the v boards. i was just always told that the little 1.9 wasnt enough blower for the 416 and especially the 427 to push there full potential. is there any pictures on this 2.9 whipple setup? im not trying to lose the strut brace or change hoods. im definitely gonna start with a port and polish from kong and go bigger lower pulley to start out with but just wasnt sure what other options there were out there for our setups.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:41 AM   #13
perfucto

Drives: 2013 ZL1
416 w/ 2.9 Whipple (meth dual nozzle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ReaperZL1 View Post
ill definitely look around on the v boards. i was just always told that the little 1.9 wasnt enough blower for the 416 and especially the 427 to push there full potential. is there any pictures on this 2.9 whipple setup? im not trying to lose the strut brace or change hoods. im definitely gonna start with a port and polish from kong and go bigger lower pulley to start out with but just wasnt sure what other options there were out there for our setups.
Attached Images

perfucto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:41 PM   #14
@ReaperZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfucto View Post
sweet jesus, was this on 93 octane? I cant tell because the computer I'm on but what is the pulley setup on that? that's some intense power