Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-18-2019, 11:14 PM   #43
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Why is my knee hitting the key if I haven’t hit anything? If I haven’t hit anything I don’t need the airbags do I? My point is that if something has caused me to dislodge from my point of rest while driving my airbag sensors are going to trip causing my airbags to trip, so if my knee hits the key after my sensors have tripped and my airbags are beginning to deploy it doesn’t matter because the fuse head has initiated the small explosion to inflate the air bag. Hence my logic for not worrying about the key recall.
Yep I agree 100%.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:55 AM   #44
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Some fun facts about airbag systems. This is based on my time on an engineering team designing airbag controllers for a tier 1 supplier in the mid-late '90s. Sure, some things have probably been improved, but the gist of it is as follows, or at least it was. If anyone on here is a current designer of airbag systems feel free to post up.
For a frontal airbag systems the firing of the squib is based on something referred to as the 5 inch 30mS time. This comes from crash testing data on every make and model. (I spent a lot of time at the Ford crash test facility in Dearborn). This means that from the crash data the time is recorded for how long it takes for the occupant to travel (chest) 5 inches during the event. This time can be anywhere from lets say 45-75ms at approx 40-45 mph. It takes approx 30mS to fill the airbag to 80%, which is optimum for the start of impact with the occupant. This leaves 15-45mS for the controller to make the decision to fires the squib. So depending on how far your knee is from the key can depend on whether you hit it before or after the airbag fires. However, the airbag system does not shut down the instant the key is turned. There is charge pump circuitry that provides power to the squib for 30-50mS after a loss of power just for such an event. Again, this is my recollection from my days in that field.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:57 AM   #45
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
Some fun facts about airbag systems. This is based on my time on an engineering team designing airbag controllers for a tier 1 supplier in the mid-late '90s. Sure, some things have probably been improved, but the gist of it is as follows, or at least it was. If anyone on here is a current designer of airbag systems feel free to post up.
For a frontal airbag systems the firing of the squib is based on something referred to as the 5 inch 30mS time. This comes from crash testing data on every make and model. (I spent a lot of time at the Ford crash test facility in Dearborn). This means that from the crash data the time is recorded for how long it takes for the occupant to travel (chest) 5 inches during the event. This time can be anywhere from lets say 45-75ms at approx 40-45 mph. It takes approx 30mS to fill the airbag to 80%, which is optimum for the start of impact with the occupant. This leaves 15-45mS for the controller to make the decision to fires the squib. So depending on how far your knee is from the key can depend on whether you hit it before or after the airbag fires. However, the airbag system does not shut down the instant the key is turned. There is charge pump circuitry that provides power to the squib for 30-50mS after a loss of power just for such an event. Again, this is my recollection from my days in that field.
As an engineer myself I have to say thank you. This is EXACTLY what I love to see, facts in a sound analytical, reasonable method.

That being said, I'm still keeping my switchblade.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:24 AM   #46
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
As an engineer myself I have to say thank you. This is EXACTLY what I love to see, facts in a sound analytical, reasonable method.

Welcome. On my '13 ZL1 my dealer just handed me the 2 keys and let me keep the switchblades. That way they fulfilled the recall and who's to say i didn't changes the blades back if something did happen.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:25 PM   #47
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
Quote:

+1 and +1
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote