Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 02-16-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Trans Glitches Post (email) Tune?

Have you experienced erratic shifting - either up or down, after loading an email tune? This is in no way vilifying ANY tuner. Just wondering if you have experienced early downshifts, not being able to use paddles in “D” etc...

I will say that turning the car off and restarting cleared the problems but some came back. Was cold weather a factor? Did you reload the tune with any success? Thx, boys.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #2
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
No I have never had anything like that with mine. I wonder if just reloading the tune wouldn't be a good idea in case there was a glitch when it was loaded before? Certainly couldn't hurt to try that. But the paddles should work fine in D of course so something is not right there.

At one point last year I thought my car was shifting too early from 1st to 2nd but after changing the rear tires I realized it was losing traction as my rears were done before that. Better tires and all felt normal again.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:38 PM   #3
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Yep...no issues at all after my trans tune. Things shift hard but nothing thats concerning. Like QCman said . Try reloading the tune. Maybe a glitch prevented a part from downloading.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:52 AM   #4
qcman

It might be wise to return to stock first, test drive and confirm normal functions. Then reload the tune to see if there are still any glitches. That may indicate a problem in the actual tune file itself. Has it always behaved this way since the tune was installed?

Reading around here with how these cars freak due to low battery conditions makes me wonder too. The last time I loaded a tune I put my car on the battery tender the night before for good measure due to still being on my original battery to ensure the battery was as strong as it could be during the programming. I just wonder if the battery condition could be a factor though your car isn't very old in that regard?
Old 02-18-2019, 08:22 PM   #5
Moto-Mojo

Good stuff to consider, gents.

Battery is about 1.5 yrs old. The OE one died a quick death.

I’ll admit, I’ve loaded two tunes- one moderately aggressive and one aggressive, twice each. Reloading again is something I considered and is a good suggestion. I just felt the real agressive tune was too much on wetter, winter roads so I went back to ‘tune light.’

I have never gone back to stock though. Might try that. So far, after the one weird day of driving, it’s behaving. So...I may be doing nothing for a while.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:30 PM   #6
Moto-Mojo

Do you think the potential for file corruption goes up with each load/reload?
Old 02-19-2019, 07:15 AM   #7
qcman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Do you think the potential for file corruption goes up with each load/reload?
It shouldn't as it just overwrites everything in the ECM & TCM. Anytime Steve changed my tune he just said to load it which I assumed don't return to stock first just simply overwrite the one that was on the car already.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #8
Moto-Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
It shouldn't as it just overwrites everything in the ECM & TCM. Anytime Steve changed my tune he just said to load it which I assumed don't return to stock first just simply overwrite the one that was on the car already.
That would make sense in a digital world but I've seen strange things when it comes to computers. But most times a re-boot or re-load fixes it. (I presume each time you start it, it's essentially a reboot. Dunno)

I think I'll just reload the aggressive one back in. It seemed trouble free. It was Steve who did mine too.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:08 PM   #9
Moto-Mojo

Definitely have some issues. Normal for about a day then no 6th gear, no paddles in D. Turn it off and start the process over...fine for a while...Looks like a return to stock and see what happens. Then maybe a trip to never never dealerland. Be a shame to shelf the tune. : /

Last edited by Moto-Mojo; 02-22-2019 at 08:11 PM.
Moto-Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:17 PM   #10
qcman

Quote:
Definitely have some issues. Normal for about a day then no 6th gear, no paddles in D. Turn it off and start the process over...fine for a while...Looks like a return to stock and see what happens. Then maybe a trip to never never dealerland. Be a shame to shelf the tune. : /

Sorry to hear man yeah I would return to stock temporarily just to confirm its not something with the car itself. If its okay stock then I would call Steve before a dealer trip. He may have you log the tune or perhaps provide another one.

Hopefully its just a glitch in the tune file and not a real problem with the car. But he's a great guy so give him a chance to help you out
Old 02-23-2019, 07:49 AM   #11
Moto-Mojo

I will try to return to stock and drive it - with AFM back on. Steve said it was not the tune. And maybe it’s not. Only one way to tell I guess.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:08 PM   #12
qcman

Quote:
I will try to return to stock and drive it - with AFM back on. Steve said it was not the tune. And maybe it’s not. Only one way to tell I guess.

I see I didn't realize you had been in contact with him hence why I suggested that. Did you already try reloading the aggressive tune (you said you may try that) over your mild one yet? I'm just unclear if the glitches are continuing while you haven't tried anything different or not yet? But it sucks either way & of course a tune can cause a warranty to be voided if they check the flash counter. I assume you still have PT warranty based on the year of your car?

If you were going to reload the same tune again I would suggest deleting the file form the SCTX4 and reprogramming it on the PC just for good measure in case there was some type of corruption in the file on the handheld.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:40 PM   #13
Moto-Mojo

It seems to act normal in stock mode. Bottom line is, mods / tunes are a calculated risk. Tough to whine when (sh)it goes south. So I won’t. Viva la Range Device, I guess.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:01 PM   #14
qcman

Quote:
It seems to act normal in stock mode. Bottom line is, mods / tunes are a calculated risk. Tough to whine when (sh)it goes south. So I won’t. Viva la Range Device, I guess.

So you returned to stock & all is working okay again I take it? If that's the case there must be either file corruption or a problem of sorts in the actual tune (programming) files you received. If there were a problem with one of them it makes sense it would be the case with both as they are likely just tweaked versions of the initial tune file that was created.

I know when I got tune changes I was asked for the current tune file, emailed it back to him & then that was adjusted and sent back to me. This thread I saw today reminded me a lot of what you are dealing with....similar for sure.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548713

You may want to post this in the tuning forum to see if it gets more attention from folks experienced with tuning or having used them or related problems etc.