Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #29
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
The issue is that your knee could hit the key during a violent incident, you know, like when physics, not your brilliant mind, is in control.
If I'm hitting something hard enough to cause my knee to hit the key my airbag sensor would have tripped before my knee had a chance to hit the key and my airbag would have deployed.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:48 PM   #30
NHRABill

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible
I undid the recall on one key just used a lighter and pliers to pull it apart. knocked out roll pin insert and done left the spare set alone if it needs servce.
NHRABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:35 PM   #31
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
I never did the the recall. I got another switchblade key cut at the dealership I work at. Haven't gotten a recall notice since I signed a waiver.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:48 AM   #32
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
Yeah, if I’m in a wreck all bets are off seems like. Also, he told me I didn’t have a choice. Later, he told me to bring the two standard keys back and they would cut me the original kind.
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #33
Whoomba

Well, happy ending. After Friday very adamantly saying I want my key back, I stopped by today and they replaced today.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:58 PM   #34
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
I was pummeled with emails for years about the key. The dealer called me a few weeks back and I told them flat out that they are not getting my keys. No waivers, and no more messages or calls.

Is there any documented cases of ANYONE in a Camaro turning the ignition off in an accident? I know I can do it if I try, but I cannot imagine any way that I'd hit the key by accident.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:27 PM   #35
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
If I'm hitting something hard enough to cause my knee to hit the key my airbag sensor would have tripped before my knee had a chance to hit the key and my airbag would have deployed.
But if your knee hits the key it could shut off the engine, thus disabling the power steering that your brilliant mind would like to use in a collision avoidance maneuver.

This thread is a demonstration of applied Darwinism.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:42 PM   #36
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
But if your knee hits the key it could shut off the engine, thus disabling the power steering that your brilliant mind would like to use in a collision avoidance maneuver.

I tend to agree but there are probably 50 things that could kill the engine. I used to worry about the Range Device that took out some of the power steering too. Being old school, I never really missed the switchblade when I bought a 2015 (after a 2012) and I got a key.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:42 PM   #37
Whoomba

Quote:

Which might be a good thing. Clearly, you didn’t read the scenario because if the airbag’s deployed the power steering is irrelevant.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:49 PM   #38
pyroguy

Quote:

If I'm hitting something hard enough to trigger the airbags, I will not be doing much to be able to do quick maneuvers. Call it what you will and think what you want, if I'm in a big enough accident that would hit my knee on the key I won't be doing much else and my airbag would have triggered long before then.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:22 PM   #39
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
If I'm hitting something hard enough to trigger the airbags, I will not be doing much to be able to do quick maneuvers. Call it what you will and think what you want, if I'm in a big enough accident that would hit my knee on the key I won't be doing much else and my airbag would have triggered long before then.
Isn't the issue that turning off the key disables the airbags?
They don't deploy when the Camaro is parked, right?

And if the steering and brake assists are also disabled aren't you just going straight into whatever you are aimed at?
Old 02-18-2019, 08:46 PM   #40
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post

And if the steering and brake assists are also disabled aren't you just going straight into whatever you are aimed at?
I'm not gonna overthink this thing.

If there's a safety recall, I'm gonna defer to people who know their business and get it done.

My switchblade keys are long gone.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:09 PM   #41
Tpimike

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS RRM Convertible
This thread make me feel like it’s 2014 all over again.
Tpimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:15 PM   #42
pyroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post

Why is my knee hitting the key if I haven’t hit anything? If I haven’t hit anything I don’t need the airbags do I? My point is that if something has caused me to dislodge from my point of rest while driving my airbag sensors are going to trip causing my airbags to trip, so if my knee hits the key after my sensors have tripped and my airbags are beginning to deploy it doesn’t matter because the fuse head has initiated the small explosion to inflate the air bag. Hence my logic for not worrying about the key recall.