Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
Landshark

Drives: 1LT/RS
LT Fuel Gage

I wanted to throw this at you guys. When I picked up my 1LT/RS from my dealer he filled it with gas and it only went to 3/4 full. Before I took it home it showed full and the service dept had looked at it and said they found nothing wrong. The first fill up, it did the same thing. After driving it for awhile and it being shut off and started back up finally showed full. Took it back to the dealer and they changed the gage cluster via a TSB they had for the problem. Now it still shows only 3/4 full at fill up and slowly climbs to full while driving. Takes about 10 miles. The dealer said they called Chevy and they said the tank is two separate tanks and takes awhile after fueling to stabilize its level and is normal. Also, there is two electric fuel pumps in the tank. Now I was born at night, but not last night. I think I'm getting a line from the dealer. I want to call Chevy and ask them myself. Anybody seeing this from their car? Sorry if I'm rambling here.
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
they said the tank is two separate tanks and takes awhile after fueling to stabilize its level and is normal. Also, there is two electric fuel pumps in the tank. Now I was born at night, but not last night. .
Yeah, sure sounds like a load of crap.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
...the tank is two separate tanks and takes awhile after fueling to stabilize its level and is normal...

I've got a 1LT/RS and in 9800 miles, every time I've filled up the tank, it goes right to full before I ever move an inch from the gas pump.

Find another dealer to look at it.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:12 AM   #4
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
In-tank sending unit is sticking/defective.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:50 AM   #5
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
just have the pump module replced
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
Tecca

Drives: ...
I had this problem when I got mine, actually some times it said it was empth kinda a pain in the butt. Anyway it is only one tank, that is molded to the shape of the under carriage and you have to drop the back end to get it off. Kinda a pain in the butt like I said, then they just need to replace the sending unit as the floater is getting stuck. Should only take two hours to fix once they get the part in stock. Other than that it is safe to drive.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Just alittle insight on this. There are 2 level sensors, 1 on each side. The signal is sent to the ECM which sends a signal to the BCM and from there it goes to the Cluster. It is not like it used to be where 9 times out of 10 it would be the level sensor. There are more factors to figure out before you can condemn a sensor. Also most dealers are not going to just replace a part because the customer tells them to, they need to PROPERLY diag it first.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggin2 View Post
Also most dealers are not going to just replace a part because the customer tells them to, they need to PROPERLY diag it first.
Your right, but this dealer just fed him a load of crap.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
No problems with mine, goes to full as soon as I fill up...