Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 04-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #57
CAMARO-ECSTASY

Drives: 1999 Camaro
they look sick does anybody know if they will be lighter
CAMARO-ECSTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:14 PM   #58
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
These wheels look fantastic in person. I'm very happy that Chevrolet will give us the option to order these with the car.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #59
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
Looks awesome!!! As said before, make mine CGM w/ black stripe and black SSX wheels. I'll tint the windows, black out the bowties and add headers/pulley/tune myself. Thanks GM!!!
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #60
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
While I also like them better than the original wheels that the ZL1 debuted with, those original wheels have really grown on me. They have a more substantial, muscle car look as someone else mentioned earlier. The SSX wheels IMO match the design ZL1 very well also with their sharp, angular spokes. The black finish and concave, thin, and angular spokes give the ZL1 a very mean and athletic track look. Different strokes for different folks, and I think GM did a great job on both designs that provide two different, distinct looks.

I just want to reiterate how happy I am that GM decided to make the SSX wheels available as an option. As soon as I saw them on the SSX car, it was love at first sight. IMO they are the best 20" forged monoblock design that I have seen for the 5th gen, aftermarket or OEM. As much as I lusted after photoshop pics of the ZL1 with SSX wheels, I never realistically thought it would happen. This announcement completely blindsighted me with pure awesomeness.

Once again, thank you so much GM for making my dream and vision for my future ZL1 a reality.
I would like to see the SSX wheels in a different finish. Perhaps machined or polished aluminum like the reveal wheels. Maybe even a gunmetal gray too. Black wheels really need something to break them up from the tire, like a polished lip.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #61
JB22

Drives: 2010 ABM # 2180 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
I would like to see the SSX wheels in a different finish. Perhaps machined or polished aluminum like the reveal wheels. Maybe even a gunmetal gray too. Black wheels really need something to break them up from the tire, like a polished lip.
Machined lips or polished with black inlay would be awesome

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
JB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #62
Rocky918

Drives: SS for Super Sexy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-screamer View Post
Even better to match the flat black stripe.
the beginning of the stripe on the hood is carbon fiber, not flat black... I assume that the rest of the stripe is carbon fiber vinyl?

and they definitely need to have these rims in another finish like other says... polished aluminum would be great... once you have the rims, it shouldn't be that hard to just put a different finish on them
Old 04-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #63
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
They don't "look" beefy enough for the car's stature. The ZL1 wheels "fit" the car's look better. IMO
Beefy = Heavy
Heavy Wheels = Bad for performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
It wouldn't have happened to make any passes?
It did make a pass ... at around 20 mph. Its a show car intended to look good, not an engineering prototype built to be pushed hard. As such, they didn't really want to run the risk of breaking anything. It probably would have been fine but you can never be too careful.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:27 PM   #64
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The SSX wheels work so well in person...imo, anyways.

There's a subliminal perception that the ZL1 is a "bigger", or "thicker" car than the SS...when really all were talking about is a couple hundred pounds that doesn't change the shape of the vehicle. In fact, it's lower.......

The black SSX wheels work with the hood insert, lower fascia and the bodyside aero treatment to amplify that "racey" look.

Sooooooo awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
It did make a pass ... at around 20 mph. Its a show car intended to look good, not an engineering prototype built to be pushed hard. As such, they didn't really want to run the risk of breaking anything. It probably would have been fine but you can never be too careful.
Yeah! Especially in front of 100s of people AND the internet.....

It sounded beautiful though, didn't it?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #65
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky918 View Post
the beginning of the stripe on the hood is carbon fiber, not flat black... I assume that the rest of the stripe is carbon fiber vinyl?
Actually, while the hood insert is made from carbon fiber, the finish looks to be satin black only. If you opt for the stripe package, you'll get a vinyl stripe on the roof and trunklid/spoiler also in a satin finish to match the hood insert.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #66
ScottZ28

Drives: 10 RS-71 Z28 RS-97 30th Anniv Z28
I personaly like the silver wheels better. It reminds me of the difference between silver/chrome wheels or black wheels on an Indy car. I think the silver or chrome wheels look so much better. Just my two cents. To each his own.
ScottZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #67
edz10ss

Drives: Silver Metalic Ice w/ black Stripes
i love the ssx wheels. they are def. hot
edz10ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #68
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
I like the more solid looking ones and think those would look better black as an option or gunmetal color
Old 04-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #69
Rocky918

Drives: SS for Super Sexy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
Actually, while the hood insert is made from carbon fiber, the finish looks to be satin black only. If you opt for the stripe package, you'll get a vinyl stripe on the roof and trunklid/spoiler also in a satin finish to match the hood insert.
sweet... the stripe will only go to the spoiler though, I was thinking of extending it around the spoiler down the backside of the trunk to the rear diffuser.... in this case, how would you match that kind of vinyl. Do they make carbon fiber vinyl with satin black finishes? or is the stripe solely the satin black?

im a little confused
Old 04-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #70
Dmac

Drives: 2002 Monte Carlo SS
This makes me happy...
Dmac is offline   Reply With Quote