Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Launch Control?

First off, I also posted this in the `racing section`but I wasn`t sure if that was the right place, and I thought I might get more exposure here, so here`s my problem: (Mods feel free to delete it if you can`t double post or whatnot)

OK so I was gonna try out the Competition Mode or Launch Control or whatever you want to call it. So I read the manual and do as instructed, but then I chickened out and didn't drop the clutch.

I thought I would ask you guys on here, for those of you who have tried it. You press the TC button twice, it says competition mode engaged, get a little icon of a car leaving skid marks on your DIC. Push in clutch, shift into first and put the accelerator to the floor.

Here's where I get confused: Is the car supposed to automatically stop revving at a certain point? Cause my tach was bouncing into the red and I really did not feel confident dumping the clutch at that kind of RPMs.

Course maybe I am just a chicken..................

So anyone out there who has used Comp mode, can you help a brother out?
Am I doing something wrong? I followed the instructions in the manual but just did not seem to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
2010SSRS

Drives: 2000 Silverado
i haven't tried yet........................being nice for 1500 miles. but my understanding is that the rpms should've stopped at 4200 in Competition Mode with the gas to the floor and clutch to the floor.

i'll be curious to see if anyone else has done it. i think Embalmer did the day he drove it off the lot.

VR 2SSRS LS3 - Borla, SLP CAI
2010SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
First off, I also posted this in the `racing section`but I wasn`t sure if that was the right place, and I thought I might get more exposure here, so here`s my problem: (Mods feel free to delete it if you can`t double post or whatnot)

OK so I was gonna try out the Competition Mode or Launch Control or whatever you want to call it. So I read the manual and do as instructed, but then I chickened out and didn't drop the clutch.

I thought I would ask you guys on here, for those of you who have tried it. You press the TC button twice, it says competition mode engaged, get a little icon of a car leaving skid marks on your DIC. Push in clutch, shift into first and put the accelerator to the floor.

Here's where I get confused: Is the car supposed to automatically stop revving at a certain point? Cause my tach was bouncing into the red and I really did not feel confident dumping the clutch at that kind of RPMs.

Does it look like the smiley here?
Old 06-11-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
Evotion
Warehouse 13 Survivor!!!!

Drives: '13 ZL1 - 69' Camaro
Don't have mine yet but... was it in gear when you floored the pedal? That is the only thing I could think of at the moment.
Evotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:40 PM   #5
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
How many miles on it?
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #6
LDGn63

Drives: WNABEE
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post

So anyone out there who has used Comp mode, can you help a brother out?
Am I doing something wrong? I followed the instructions in the manual but just did not seem to work.
i also posted in the OP he mentioned...
mine does the same as his.

what gives?
that means that the mirror is 38.75% the size of the vertical windshield...
it sure seems like the ratio could be better... just sayin....

our collective MIRROR patch:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24612
LDGn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Someone who knows please post because I am having the same issue. And when I am in comp mode and rev it up and drop clutch it seems to smell like its burning Help I need to learn how to light them up.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #8
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
i did it today. You have to make sure its in comp mode. Hold clutch to floor gas to floor. RPM's will stop and hold at 4000 rpm. If not your not in comp mode. Release clutch when ready to haul ass. Don't let off gas and pop clutch fast. It will bark and shoot off.
lawdogg149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #9
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
Someone who knows please post because I am having the same issue. And when I am in comp mode and rev it up and drop clutch it seems to smell like its burning Help I need to learn how to light them up.
oh jesus no.... give me your car now. please, before it's dead.
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
2Muchmark

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Send a message via ICQ to 2Muchmark Send a message via MSN to 2Muchmark Send a message via Skype™ to 2Muchmark
This is a good idea for a thread....

I want really take off as fast as possible, spin the tires and the whole thing, but I'm afraid to do it. I won't want to burn the clutch, damage the transmission or anything else. How do I do this "Safely" without shortening the lifespan of my car's precious inards?
2Muchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #11
LDGn63

Drives: WNABEE
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg149 View Post
i did it today. You have to make sure its in comp mode. Hold clutch to floor gas to floor. RPM's will stop and hold at 4000 rpm. If not your not in comp mode. Release clutch when ready to haul ass. Don't let off gas and pop clutch fast. It will bark and shoot off.
sure its in comp mode. Hold clutch to floor gas to floor. RPM's did not stop until i lifted my right foot QUICKLY. the tach flew up over 6K!
software issue?
that means that the mirror is 38.75% the size of the vertical windshield...
it sure seems like the ratio could be better... just sayin....

our collective MIRROR patch:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24612
LDGn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #12
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
Do it like the manual says do.
lawdogg149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #13
2010SSRS

Drives: 2000 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg149 View Post
clutch to floor 1st, then gas to floor. not the other way around!

VR 2SSRS LS3 - Borla, SLP CAI
2010SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #14
Halo2

Drives: 04 Mercury Marauder
If only had my owners manual I could probably tell you how it works.
Halo2 is offline   Reply With Quote