Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 01-18-2015, 04:10 PM   #1
allshotout

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro
Angry HP Tuner or Hand held??

Wanting to put tune on my car. Would I be better off purchasing HP Tune and getting tune from from a shop that tunes with HP, or just go with handheld? What would I be leaving on the table with hand held vs tuning software? I plan to continue with mods down the road, but I like the ability to swap between multiple tunes with a hand held?
allshotout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:39 PM   #2
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Read,read,and read some more. There are advantages to both types of tuners depending on your goals. There's is no perfect answer. Hp has the better setup but it's costly especially if your only tuning one car. do you want your car tuned or you want to do the tuning.how capable are you at scrambling your cars brain. A handheld has its advantages in that you can select options that fit your needs and you can return it to stock if need be. The initial startup cost is less with the handheld and serves most peoples needs well with room to grow. The ultimate is either a dyno tune or street tune if there's someone competent near you.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:59 PM   #3
allshotout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1660 View Post
Read,read,and read some more. There are advantages to both types of tuners depending on your goals. There's is no perfect answer. Hp has the better setup but it's costly especially if your only tuning one car. do you want your car tuned or you want to do the tuning.how capable are you at scrambling your cars brain. A handheld has its advantages in that you can select options that fit your needs and you can return it to stock if need be. The initial startup cost is less with the handheld and serves most peoples needs well with room to grow. The ultimate is either a dyno tune or street tune if there's someone competent near you.
Thanks for the info. It would be nice to have car tuned, and be able to work with a shop to make tweaks as I continue to add more. Don't want to drive to shop every-time to do it.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:44 PM   #4
allshotout

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosteve View Post
Sir if you would like give me a call on 440 251 8571 and i tell run you through both options and give you the pros and cons of each option as we do both in our shop.
I will absolutely do that. I'll give you a call tomorrow. I've looked a little tonight using info from site. SCTx4 (purchase tuner, mail tune) custom with my mods is going to be around $574.00. HP Tuners (purchase tuner, mail tune) $650.00, or I can go to local Dyno get tune for $500.00 (won't have own tuner). So relatively the cost aspect are not drastically different.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:03 AM   #5
TRIFECTA

Drives: Camaro SS
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by allshotout View Post
Wanting to put tune on my car. Would I be better off purchasing HP Tune and getting tune from from a shop that tunes with HP, or just go with handheld? What would I be leaving on the table with hand held vs tuning software? I plan to continue with mods down the road, but I like the ability to swap between multiple tunes with a hand held?

Hello allshotout,

A dyno tune or individualized cal (custom tune) will need to be redone every time you change something on the car for the best results: doing a dyno tune when you've got all the mods installed will be more cost effective than to start with a dyno tune and then retune when you're modding your car.

If you're just starting out with modding your car, if you're interested in what a calibration (tune) can do for your car, we'd be happy to dispatch a demo TRIFECTA calibration for your MY2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS: no purchase necessary!

This way, if you do decide to go for a dyno tune later, you've got something to compare the before and after to

With a TRIFECTA flash loader cable/program, there is a return to stock feature in the program and it will return your car back to stock 100 percent.

The current generation of TRIFECTA's flash loader solutions and corresponding Transparency featureset also does not increment the write counter or increment entries in the flash history.

If you're interested, please email TRIFECTA customer support and mention this offer: we would be happy to dispatch a flash loader:

LINK: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379948

(Specific power increases of +43 ft-lbs and +26 WHP under the curve on an L99 engine (Peak vs peak gains of +26 ft-lbs and +14 WHP on 91 octane))

Thank you,

Andrew@TRIFECTA
TRIFECTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:51 AM   #6
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
For my money HPT all the way. You can also use HPT to return your car to stock. Their support is, in my experience, excellent. As suggested read, read and then read some more. There are people on this site that use many different platforms. I would start talking to some tuners and ask them what they use and prefer. You will start to see a trend build.

If you go to some other forum sites and look to see what others are using on them, you will see a trend build their too. If you do go with HPT, then spend the extra money and get the Pro version. You dont need to have Pro to log a wide band O2, If you insist on buying HPT standard, you can use your A/C input with a custom PID, to log your AFR, but most of the people who review your logs will not be able to see your AFR data.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:01 PM   #7
z3R0fo01

Drives: 2014 1SS RS 1LE tvs2300
If you plan on dataloging with wide band I would stay away from DS intune. It can be difficult to get working right. It is a great handheld if you want to data log basic pids and load tunes. Very easy to use. Again, just not really that much when it comes to cataloging compared to SCT or hp tuners.

I would say find a tuner and use what he recommends. I personally recommend JRE. Excellent organization.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:20 PM   #8
atiprocharger

Drives: Black 2018 Camaro ZL1 auto
I am in the same boat. I have had LT's, cam, PTB, CAI, and tune installed. I am now going to install an SLP tvs 2300 which will require yet another tune. I am really considering purchasing HPtuners instead of paying for yet another tune. Any pointers/pitfalls to doing so? Anyone want to share screen shots of what it does or can do? Which one to get? Are there basic instructions out there? Thank you.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:37 PM   #9
1KillerSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by atiprocharger View Post
I am in the same boat. I have had LT's, cam, PTB, CAI, and tune installed. I am now going to install an SLP tvs 2300 which will require yet another tune. I am really considering purchasing HPtuners instead of paying for yet another tune. Any pointers/pitfalls to doing so? Anyone want to share screen shots of what it does or can do? Which one to get? Are there basic instructions out there? Thank you.
Go to HPTuners website and download the VCM Editor and VCM scanner, you can play all you want with their software. You cant change any tunes without becoming a customer, but you can see how it functions.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
Old 03-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #10
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
You'll still wind up buying a tune even if you go with HP tuners unless you know what your doing. You'll have the price of HP pro.. 650.00 plus a laptop? Then buy a tune 150.00... .not to mention cable for wide band.and it's around 150.00plus also.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:19 PM   #11
1KillerSS

Cable for what? The interface comes with all you need to log with. The only thing other than HPTuners Pro that you will need is a wide band AFR gauge with a analog output. You technically don't even need pro to log your AFR data, I did it with out Pro, but its a lot better if you just bite the bullet and go pro from the start.

Build thread
Old 03-19-2015, 11:10 PM   #12
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
If you're planning on anything more than a Cold Air intake, invest the time and money into HPTuners.

With all the interwebs and videos and courses available, I'm shocked more people don't jump into this.

So simple to use and remote tune with your favorite tuner all the way across the country.

Give us a call if you need any help or opinions. We sell handhelds to folks all day that fit a need and can hlep you spend your money the right way.

Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:29 AM   #13
UA488Fitter

Drives: 1981 Z28 1995 Z28 2010 2SS/RS
Read,read,and read some more. as hunter1660 says

I'm in the same boat as allshotout and atiprocharger.
Here's some links to help with that reading.

I'm leaning towards HP Tuners as 1KillerSS recommends.

HP Tuners Site with a link to their Demo.
http://www.hptuners.com/
A help file douwload for the Demo
http://www.hptuners.com/pub/VCM Suite.chm
Online help page
http://www.hptuners.com/help

HP Tuners gave me this link worth checking out
http://www.thetuningschool.com/
One of their packages a bit pricey..... BUT.....
If you install all of your own mods it very well may be worth the investment.
You never know where the knowledge could take one.
http://www.thetuningschool.com/produ...uning-package/

Not sure about this one yet; I still have some of that reading to do.
$600.00 though.
https://www.diablosport.com/products...l#content-tabs

The SCT X4 is $400 .00 at Summit Racing.
And it doesn't have tunes for the 2014 & 2015 Model Years, yet.
So you would have to purchase a tune from someone.
http://www.sctflash.com

Not really sure about Hypertech search it here there is a few good theads on it.
http://www.hypertech-inc.com/products-max-energy.aspx

I hope some of these links help with that reading

Last edited by UA488Fitter; 03-21-2015 at 01:44 AM.
UA488Fitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:32 PM   #14
Bodywerks

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIFECTA View Post
With a TRIFECTA flash loader cable/program, there is a return to stock feature in the program and it will return your car back to stock 100 percent.

The current generation of TRIFECTA's flash loader solutions and corresponding Transparency featureset also does not increment the write counter or increment entries in the flash history
This is either too good to be true, or a little misleading, or you are the ONLY ECM program writer that has found a way around the ECM flash memory.
IMO, "back to stock 100 percent", would mean that no-one would ever know that the ECM was ever flashed to something other than stock. If this is in fact what you mean by "back to stock 100 percent", then please break down the second quoted paragraph in layman's terms. It reads to me like you are trying to insinuate that your programmer leaves no trace of a flash, without actually saying it because it may or may not be true?
HSA delete, VMAX throttle body, CAI inc. Intake, PRC255 heads, BTR 660 springs, BTR cryo-treated rockers, PAT G 232/240 .654/.626 110+2, johnson 2110's, Manton 502 pushrods, C5R, Melling high volume/high pressure, Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley, Proform covers, Kooks stepped headers, catless mids, Doug Thorley exhaust. 512rwhp, 446rwtq on a mustang dyno, tuned by Cunningham motorsports.
Bodywerks is offline   Reply With Quote