Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-24-2015, 07:20 PM   #1
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
Gas question

Today was my first fill up, 93 at Mobil. The gas is burning faster than the gas the dealer filled it up with. And my camaro(l99) is not downshifting when applying some throttle. With the gas from dealer applying some throttle caused it to down shift to 2-3 rpms smoothly. After filling up it doesn't want to and when it does below 2k rpm.

How do I know this is premium gas and not regular? I am going to try Shell next time and see if it's any different.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:55 PM   #2
JewelSS
Norcal Camaros

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel 2SS L99
You can try the reset for your ECM by pulling the number 5 & 20 fuse and let it sit over night. It will reset the computer to run with what you have in it now 91 -93 Oct. This will help as you now don't need to worry about what the dealer may have put in it. I would stay with Mobil just to rule out any issues as here in Cali we have had problems with Shell gas. Hope this helps
Blaque Diamond Wheels BD23's 20x10, Hankook V12 275, AAC footwell lighting, Switchback LED's, AAC Mailslot scanner, AAC underhood, grill & underbody led lighting, AAC Plasma fogs, Eagle eye HIDs, RJT Painted calipers, RJT painted engine bay, Viteese Paddle Shifters, CFD Hurst style Shifter, RJT painted speedo & gauge trim, RotoFab CAI, TSP 2" Headers with full 3" XS Power exhaust, Granatelli Slotted rotors & Hawk HPS pads, ACS Side Rockers, ACS Front splitter, ZL1 Grill, Havoc Rear diffuser, BMR 1.4 Springs, BMR Strut tower brace, BMR F/R Sway Bars, BMR Trailing Arms,
JewelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:14 PM   #3
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Concur on the fuse pull. 5 & 20 off the fuse box underneath your hood. Just pull them, let it sit at least 6hrs, put them back in.

If you've got 93 octane in it now, but suspect that you've got 89 or 87 in the tank still, then wait another 1 or 2 tank fulls of 93 before you pull the fuses. Otherwise you'll go back to where you started and would have wasted your time pulling the fuses in the first place still having lower octane fuel in the car. Wait until you're sure you've got nothing but 93 in your car... well, as sure as you can be any way...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:42 PM   #4
RagingHawk

Thanks guys, I'm not gonna do fuse pulls and just burn this gas out. This defintely doesn't feel like premium, the car isn't not as fast as it was, the transmission is being very annoying not willing to downshift. The car just doesn't want to be driven, this is how it feels. I'm never putting gas at Mobil again, I'm gonna try shell near me if that is also not good I'm going with speedway.

Here in Michigan we have lots of people who put regular into premium tanks. This is what worried me about getting this car, I already now so many people screw the drivers over.

My car feels annoying to drive, part of it is the auto transmission but mostly to do with this faulty gas I filled up at a Mobil gas station. I wish I knew how to drive a six speed I would've went with a 1LE.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:56 PM   #5
RagingHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Mobil was crap in the '70s. I haven't bought it since. BP or Shell here.
I was told Mobil and Shell were top two. I honestly doubt I'd notice a difference between the two. The problem is many scumbags put something else in premium tanks and you're not actually getting premium. I usually have lots of fun driving the car but ever since putting gas at Mobil the car doesn't feel the same.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:17 PM   #6
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
Dealers tend to fill up with the lowest octane. Normally, not a problem, but for whatever reason our cars don't automatically adjust up on the octane scale, only down. Which is stupid.

Anyway, as said, burn through the tank, fill up again, fuse pull, blah blah blah. Should be good to go.

And get a transmission tune unless you want the powertrain warranty. Seriously, the 6L80E needs that tune. Night and day difference.
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:49 PM   #7
RagingHawk

Also today at a red light my car was jerking , this is the first time. So it either means that the gas is premium but I need fuse pull it the gas is regular and not really premium ...? I will burn this gas out, then fill up at Shell and do fuse pull. Ill still be at 500-600 miles is that too early to do fuse pull?
Old 08-25-2015, 07:52 PM   #8
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Not too early for the fuse pull. But with that mileage, if the problem continues, I'd definitely take it in to get checked up under warranty.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:49 PM   #9
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
As far as today's Mobil gas, I usually use Shell 93. A couple of weeks ago I filled up at a Mobil, my car liked it. I am very sensitive to how my car runs and the Mobil 93 felt good with my foot in the gas.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #10
RagingHawk

Just filled up at Shell, it's a well known gas station with many pefromance cars filling up there. I just saw a Nissan gtr there. Shell cost me 4$ less and I filled up more than I did at Mobil. How odd is that...that gas station was terrible. I'm gonna do the fuse pull and keep it overnight. Hopefully it works.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:08 PM   #11
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Sunoco 93 or Shell. I won't use BP
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:06 PM   #12
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
the car shouldn't run bad if it has 87 in it. it will ping if you give it so much gas and there is a load on the engine. Normal driving should not be effected. You might have bad gas in it though. Put some Seafoam in the tank and see if it helps. Pull the 5 & 20 fuses overnight when your car is just sitting anyway. Do it again after a couple of tanks once the problem disappears.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:20 AM   #13
RagingHawk

I did it , the car feels more responsive and that it doesn't feel as if it's struggling to move in low rpm range. The gas pedal feedback before was so high, now it's back to normal levels. I didn't notice increase in speed though. That's likely because its still being broken in.

This L99 however does need some kind of tune. I wish I knew how to drive manual ...wouldve went with LS3.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:31 AM   #14
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
I feel your frustration I drive a 1SS/RS L99. Drove standard all my life cars trucks motorcycle & big rigs with 18 gears 3 shift sticks. So I do know how to drive stick. I love my paddle shifters in the sport mode. But had a tune which took the AFM out of it.