Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 08-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #421
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
Cool thanks! I take it they are the same offset all around?
Yes, I wanted a square setup. Here's the link:

http://www.eurosportdesign.com/p-362...er-wheels.aspx

You want to find this number in the list: 379-910-1225SP

Enkei RPF1 Silver Wheel 19x10" (5x120/25mm)

They had the best price of any I could find; $397 each. I wanted them mostly for track but they actually look pretty good on the car so I'm thinking I'll keep them and sell my old 3-piece forged set.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #422
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Doc, man that weight keeps coming off! Awesome. A few questions if you don't mind.

Are the holly valve covers you have lighter than the chevy performance aluminum covers? I was thinking of shaving a few pounds in the engine bay and covers are not too expensive but figured might as well go to something very clean looking, without being able to see the coils.

My problem though is I run the 1LE oil cap catch can/oil air separator. Not sure that works with any valve covers. Have you removed the insulation off the intake manifold under the fuel rail?
Old 08-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #423
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
Doc, man that weight keeps coming off! Awesome. A few questions if you don't mind.

Are the holly valve covers you have lighter than the chevy performance aluminum covers? I was thinking of shaving a few pounds in the engine bay and covers are not too expensive but figured might as well go to something very clean looking, without being able to see the coils.

My problem though is I run the 1LE oil cap catch can/oil air separator. Not sure that works with any valve covers. Have you removed the insulation off the intake manifold under the fuel rail?
No, actually to my surprise the Holly covers were just under a pound heavier. However since you mount the coils directly to the cover you get to remove the factory coil mounting plates which weigh 2.6 lbs (for both) so the net result is you save just over a pound and a half. Not a biggie but it does clean up that area and makes it look more organized.

Not sure what you're referring to. Are you saying there's insulation under the intake manifold between it and the engine block?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #424
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Not sure what you're referring to. Are you saying there's insulation under the intake manifold between it and the engine block?
He's talking about the plenum cover.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #425
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
He's talking about the plenum cover.
Oh yeah, that thing. Yeah I removed that awhile ago. 5 lbs of weight I don't need.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #426
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Oh yeah, that thing. Yeah I removed that awhile ago. 5 lbs of weight I don't need.
Now i think you're talking about the engine cover haha.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #427
Mgizzle

The engine cover is 5lbs but you could be right on the plenum cover. It covers the plenum or manifold right under the fuel rails. You have to remove fuel rail and injectors to take it off, pretty heavy too and it should prevent heat retention I would think. If you did remove it, can you let us know how heavy it was?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #428
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
The engine cover is 5lbs but you could be right on the plenum cover. It covers the plenum or manifold right under the fuel rails. You have to remove fuel rail and injectors to take it off, pretty heavy too and it should prevent heat retention I would think. If you did remove it, can you let us know how heavy it was?
I was curious why no one seems to take it off and leave it off, almost as if it could insulate the manifold from engine bay temps? Possibly beneficial to leave it on. Unless GM only put it on there to quiet it down.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:19 AM   #429
Mgizzle

Well the heat generating source is the engine, internals. The cover would hold it in more I would think. Hence it could be to lower rail exposure to heat but most likely to quiet valve noise down I would think.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #430
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
I didn't even realize that there was an intake cover until I bought another intake for porting. Looks like something for sound reduction.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #431
Mgizzle

Hey Doc, looking at pictures of ur engine bay with the holly covers you DID NOT remove intake cover.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #432
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
I didn't even realize that there was an intake cover until I bought another intake for porting. Looks like something for sound reduction.
Quote:
Hey Doc, looking at pictures of ur engine bay with the holly covers you DID NOT remove intake cover.
Is it that plastic thing people paint under the fuel rail?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #433
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Doing some upgrades to previous um...upgrades. Yeah I know.

At any rate, I just received a set of Pfadt's gorgeous Tri-Y headers and cats. The workmanship is beautiful; even the box they came shipped in was nicely done!

The headers themselves weigh 12.52 lbs each, and the high-flow cats weigh 3.42 lbs each. The collar clamps to connect the headers to the cats weigh .625 lbs each so the combo of header/cat/clamp weighs about 16.57 lbs or basically 16 1/2 lbs each. That is very light! Compare that to the factor exhaust manifold and cat combo which weighs 23 lbs. The combined Pfadt set saves 12.8 lbs compared to stock.

Header on the scale:
Attachment 537232

Cat on the scale:
Attachment 537233

I'm planning on a before/after dyno/install session in a couple of weeks so I'll have the upgrade comparison between the Bassani headers and cats which are currently on the car, and the new Pfadt setup. I have to take the car in next week for some paint repair (hit an orange cone at speed on the racetrack which busted up the lower yellow accent stripe in the front) otherwise I'd get the headers installed next week.

I'm also putting together a lighter track set of tires and wheels; the wheels are at the paint shop right now. I got a set of Enkei RPF-1 19x10's and some Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires in 275/40-19. The Enkei's weigh 20.175 lbs each:
Attachment 537234

and the Michelin's weigh 29.275 lbs each:
Attachment 537236

The Enkei RPF-1 came in silver but I got the rim lip polished and I'm having the centers painted to match the yellow on my car.

Enkei in silver:
Attachment 537239

Enkei with rim lip polished:
Attachment 537235

I should get those back next week and I'll get the tires mounted and do a final weight measure. Even with the TPMS unit, valve stem and balance weights I'm expecting these will be 49 lbs each plus a few ounces. That's over 7 lbs lighter each over what I have now, so the combined set of 4 should save me about 29 lbs of unsprung rotating weight. That will have the same effect as pulling roughly 140 lbs of dead weight out of the car.

After I get all this new stuff installed I'll take the car to the truck scale and get it weighed again. I'm estimating about 3,658 lbs with a full tank. I'm looking at Sparco racing seats, tank plates, harness bar and 5-point harnesses and I estimate I can save about 44 lbs there. The seats I'm looking at weigh 66 lbs less than stock but the tank plates, harnesses and harness bar adds 22 lbs back. If I go that route that should put the car at about 3,614 lbs with a full tank. It would be nice to find another 15-20 lbs of weight savings somewhere so I could get the car under 3,600 lbs but I'd have to think about that carefully to see what and where would be the best place to find that.

Anyways...the car just keeps getting better and better.
We get these headers installed yet?! I'd love to see some sound clips and dyno numbers! Car is looking great BTW
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #434
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
I wonder if the intake cover is for the heater hose that lays on the engine for heat reduction

Tags
camaro of the week