Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-11-2018, 07:59 PM   #43
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C 1SS 1LE View Post
motor sounds like cats doing the dirty. A lot of them. At once
hahaha

The car needs headers for sure. Totally changed the sound of my last ZL1.

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:00 PM   #44
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
Just go faster! Jolt may be a bit harsher, but over quicker. These beasts stay put and settle quickly.

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:11 PM   #45
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
For every car, on every website, people always rationalize the ride, whether it's an Aventador, a 599 GTO, GT-R NISMO and on and on. As manufacturers are pushing these faster and faster, the suspension isn't necessarily getting more compliant, there are a few unique ones, but the majority of the fastest street-legal cars are going to ride pretty harsh, but rest assured there'll be someone that says "it's not that bad and I can DD it".

I'm not saying the ZL1 1LE is bad, just that if you went off what the internet says, every high end street-legal race car would be compliant enough for DD.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:04 AM   #46
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
This page left intentionally blank.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:05 AM   #47
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
For every car, on every website, people always rationalize the ride, whether it's an Aventador, a 599 GTO, GT-R NISMO and on and on. As manufacturers are pushing these faster and faster, the suspension isn't necessarily getting more compliant, there are a few unique ones, but the majority of the fastest street-legal cars are going to ride pretty harsh, but rest assured there'll be someone that says "it's not that bad and I can DD it".

I'm not saying the ZL1 1LE is bad, just that if you went off what the internet says, every high end street-legal race car would be compliant enough for DD.

Honestly IMO it's bad. Bit road condition dependent. Even mine is bad. Albeit the roads in this city are reflective of inept planing from the elected "representatives". Tires and all the other means to make it better isn't an earned value exercise. Save miles. Take the family car

Only place we take mine som times is to Coronado. The roads between here and there are in pretty nice shape but my wife does complain. Mostly about the noise. Good luck with whatever direction you pursue, sir.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:36 AM   #48
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I talked my wife into an Accord Touring which rides about like the ZL1 in Tour mode. She doesn't mind the ZL1 at all. Her problem with the ZL1 is all the attention it gets. It's too "show off". To solve that how do I make my ZL1 look more like a Mustang?

But OP I think your solution would be to get a Charger Hellcat as a daily driver and save the ZLE for track days.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:46 PM   #49
Chris Edwards

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I talked my wife into an Accord Touring which rides about like the ZL1 in Tour mode. She doesn't mind the ZL1 at all. Her problem with the ZL1 is all the attention it gets. It's too "show off". To solve that how do I make my ZL1 look more like a Mustang?

But OP I think your solution would be to get a Charger Hellcat as a daily driver and save the ZLE for track days.
This ^. The entire Charger lineup rides fantastically. Just took a Charger Uber on Saturday and was very impressed.
Chris Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:53 PM   #50
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
that's why I've never even considered the ZL1 1LE. It's a good choice if it's
1-a track car only,
2-you don't ever want to take passengers (especially female)
3-can put up with a very bumpy ride on the streets.

Last edited by cbr1100xx; 11-12-2018 at 06:16 PM.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #51
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Edwards View Post
This ^. The entire Charger lineup rides fantastically. Just took a Charger Uber on Saturday and was very impressed.
So the solution is to go with a completely different manufacturer...

The regular ZL1 rides like a caddy with mag ride and 10 speed auto.

And it's even faster straight line than the ZLE.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:48 PM   #52
shaftwhy

Drives: ZL1 Finally
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

Regular ZL1 rides very compliant and well behaved. It can be a ***** cat when needed, or a beast when you push it. My wife said she hoped she had the same suspension on her X5. I wouldn't look Doge direction unless they significantly up their games.
shaftwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:18 PM   #53
Chris Edwards

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

That's actually incorrect. The regular ZL1 is still very stiff compared to many cars, and rides way stiffer than a base model Camaro does with the same 20" wheels/ tires.

It really comes full circle to what James said:

Quote:
Chris Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #54
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaftwhy View Post
Regular ZL1 rides very compliant and well behaved. It can be a ***** cat when needed, or a beast when you push it. My wife said she hoped she had the same suspension on her X5. I wouldn't look Doge direction unless they significantly up their games.
You're absolutely right. Tour mode is made just for that and then drop in to performance mode and the ride, steering and everything else stiffens up.

Quote:
That's actually incorrect. The regular ZL1 is still very stiff compared to many cars, and rides way stiffer than a base model Camaro does with the same 20" wheels/ tires.

I didn't think anyone would take me literally... okay caddy is a stretch, but no one has ever complained about the ride in a Camaro until the ZLE or to a lesser degree the Z/28. There is very little, if any, difference in ride between an SS and ZL1. Both have mag ride and you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference.

The ZLE is a different animal much like the Z/28 both with DSSV which is where the noticeable difference is. Then then add the fact there is zero rubber in the suspension of a ZLE (besides tires) increases that even more than the Z/28. But as far as the other models no one has ever mentioned how stiff the ZL1 is. In fact I've always said my 5th Gen ZL1 was the most comfortable driving Camaro there was and still stand my that one.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #55
shaftwhy

Drives: ZL1 Finally
Quote:

I know it is personal preference. My wife is actually convinced that ZL1 tour mode is both more comfortable and sportier (of course) than her X5. A softer ride doesn't automatically ride better or more comfortable, if it isolates or delays the road feedback too much that you feel dizzy.
shaftwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:14 PM   #56
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post

cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote