Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
mondain

Drives: toyota
Is the hood's heat exchanger replaceable?

To anyone who has seen the ZL1 up close, do you know if the heat exchange looks replaceable?

Not just the grill unit, but behind it towards the windshield -- is that painted black or is it actually a carbon fiber unit that can be taken off?

Just wondering if I can expect some aftermarket body-colored pieces to show up. I am not a fan of the black on the hood.
mondain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Being it's of a different material I'm sure it can be removed.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
It's a separate piece.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
fixxer56
Thin Blue Line

Drives: ABM 2LT/RS #10094
Send a message via AIM to fixxer56
Number 3, if it's a separate piece,Do you think there is any possibility Chevy will offer it be special ordered?
Old 07-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'm sure one ould order any part once production starts. I do wonder if a VIN will be required to order parts like has been the case in the past. And the black in front of the windshield is a stripe if I'm talking about the same thing.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
mondain

So wait, the hood thing is a combo of 1) a separate slotted piece, and 2) a black stripe?

Wonder if they'll have a stripe delete? Aftermarket colored pieces and bam, I'm a happy camper!
Old 07-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondain View Post
So wait, the hood thing is a combo of 1) a separate slotted piece, and 2) a black stripe?

Wonder if they'll have a stripe delete? Aftermarket colored pieces and bam, I'm a happy camper!
I believe it is:

aluminum hood
CF extractor insert
black stripe between insert and rear edge of hood. I don't know, though, if the stripe package includes this stripe, along with the roof and decklid stripes though... I don't see why it wouldn't.

EDIT: Goldenbear, below, is exactly correct. There is NO stripe on the hood.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 07-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:

My impression from all of the pictures of the ZL1 that I've seen is that the Carbon Fiber hood extractor is a single unit that inserts into the hole in the hood and extends all the way back to the rear edge of the hood.

I don't think there is any decal/tape striping on the hood itself. The decal/tape striping is on the roof, the rear deck and the rear spoiler.

The ZL1, with the black SSX wheels that was at Camaro5Fest, is an example of a strip delete ZL1 and it has the hood extractor extending all the way to the rear of the hood.
Attached Images

Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
mondain

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
My impression from all of the pictures of the ZL1 that I've seen is that the Carbon Fiber hood extractor is a single unit that inserts into the hole in the hood and extends all the way back to the rear edge of the hood.

I don't think there is any decal/tape striping on the hood itself. The decal/tape striping is on the roof, the rear deck and the rear spoiler.

The ZL1, with the black SSX wheels that was at Camaro5Fest, is an example of a strip delete ZL1 and it has the hood extractor extending all the way to the rear of the hood.
Thanks this is the close-up pic I was hoping to see. It looks like it's all one piece, and if so, it's probably removable. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post

OMG... :bangdesk: G'Bear is totally right... I'm very sorry for misleading you based off my half-a$$ memory. My apologies...

Quote:
Thanks this is the close-up pic I was hoping to see. It looks like it's all one piece, and if so, it's probably removable. Thanks!
G'bear hit the nail on the head...

Here's the white car showing it's indeed NOT a stripe as I stupidly claimed earlier. Also, an underhood shot showing how large the opening is for the extractor.
Attached Images

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 07-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #11
mondain

Those 6 black grommet-looking things under there are probably the bolts that hold the extractor to the hood.

Go Go Gadget Aftermarket!
Old 07-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
FxsX24

Drives: S10 283 V8,Jimmy 4wd 4dr bk/bk
is it safe to assume that one will offer current style stripes for a zl1 hood?
FxsX24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:56 PM   #13
mondain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FxsX24 View Post
is it safe to assume that one will offer current style stripes for a zl1 hood?
I do not think that is safe to assume.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #14
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Quote:
I do not think that is safe to assume.
I would accept that statement as an axiom.

Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote