Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #29
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Take it from someone who has had his 2002 Cadillac Escalade with 17K of aftermarket parts stolen. Got it returned stripped but with the supercharger still on it! On Star is useless. I was smart and bought a seperate rider policy on it which covered all of it! To track the car you have to report the car stolen first. The thieves are always ahead of the anti theft market. The insurance companies hire ex thieves to determine how to keep up! The first thing they do is disable On Star.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #30
OnStar Advisor

Drives: Camaro
Hello everyone,

I came across this thread and want to respond to questions about OnStar’s Stolen Vehicle Assistance Services. I can’t speak to the case mentioned in the news article, but I can provide details on how Stolen Vehicle Assistance works.

In order for OnStar to remotely connect to a vehicle it must have been activated and have an established connection with the system.

Once an OnStar subscriber has reported a stolen vehicle to law enforcement, he or she can call OnStar and request Stolen Vehicle Assistance. An OnStar Advisor will then use advanced Global Positioning Satellite technology to pinpoint the location of the stolen vehicle which will be provided to law enforcement only. OnStar does not monitor or otherwise track the location of OnStar-equipped vehicles.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
OnStar Advisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #31
JustGeorge
ZL1 CRT 1 of 53

Drives: 2012 & 2017 ZL1's
OnStar Tracks Your Car Even When You Cancel Service

From Wired:

Navigation-and-emergency-services company OnStar is notifying its six million account holders that it will keep a complete accounting of the speed and location of OnStar-equipped vehicles, even for drivers who discontinue monthly service.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...ar-tracks-you/
Old 01-31-2013, 12:17 PM   #32
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGeorge View Post
From Wired:

Navigation-and-emergency-services company OnStar is notifying its six million account holders that it will keep a complete accounting of the speed and location of OnStar-equipped vehicles, even for drivers who discontinue monthly service.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...ar-tracks-you/
Can you comment on that Onstar Advisor? Is that true?
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #33
ZL1-V

Just Opt out of it! I have no need for the system and do not appreciate it forced upon me! I can see trouble and a class action lawsuit forming.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #34
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp ZL1 View Post
Just Opt out of it! I have no need for the system and do not appreciate it forced upon me! I can see trouble and a class action lawsuit forming.
No because you know about it before you buy the car.
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #35
snackbar64

Drives: SW 2017 ZL1, M6, Carbon, Nav, MR,
I knew once I saw "Enemy of the State" almost 20 years ago that anything was possible. I can only imagine soon there will be cameras in our rear view mirrors that can be activated at their pleasure to fully scan the cabin of the car. It will be sold to us as a "safety feature"
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #36
JustGeorge
ZL1 CRT 1 of 53

Changes to OnStar’s Privacy Terms Rile Some Users

I never pressed the button. I did not want it activated. I told them to delete me, my car and all info pertaining to me.

If they track my car or share or sell my info, I think I would sue.

And I didn't really know much about it before the car sale. My '05 GTO did not come with it. This is my first experience with it.

From the NY Times:
… OnStar reserves the right to share that information with other companies and organizations, even data culled from motorists who no longer subscribe to the service but who have left the two-way communications connection open.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011...le-some-users/

Did your dealer explain / tell you this?
Old 01-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #37
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by snackbar64 View Post
That's just one more reason why Onstar is worthless if indeed it is on the car and they still cannot locate it. They hype that service up like you're in good hands if your vehicle is stolen and there's a tiny side of you that wants the car to be stolen just to see if it really works for all the money they charge. Lojack will be going on mine for sure after reading this.
lojack is no better than onstar.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:25 PM   #38
ZL1-V

LoJack and OnStar are there to provide you with a "sense of security". The fact of the matter is still your Camaro has been taken from you, and you had no control over it! Just buy a seperate "rider" insurance policy for your equipment and sleep happily at night, knowing that your aftermarket parts will be covered if stolen! I don't think any of you know the feeling of getting your vehicle back after it was stolen from you? I don't care if it's located It's all screwed up now. I am speaking from experience. I see how well most on here baby their Camaros.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:28 PM   #39
snackbar64

Drives: SW 2017 ZL1, M6, Carbon, Nav, MR,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp ZL1 View Post
LoJack and OnStar are there to provide you with a "sense of security". The fact of the matter is still your Camaro has been taken from you, and you had no control over it! Just buy a seperate "rider" insurance policy for your equipment and sleep happily at night, knowing that your aftermarket parts will be covered if stolen! I don't think any of you know the feeling of getting your vehicle back after it was stolen from you? I don't care if it's located It's all screwed up now. I am speaking from experience. I see how well most on here baby their Camaros.
Yessir! I'm babying mine and it hasn't even gotten here yet.
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:02 AM   #40
KamShows

Drives: GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
Can you comment on that Onstar Advisor? Is that true?
JustGeorge,

Shortly after that article was posted (September 2011), OnStar announced that it reversed its proposed Terms and Conditions policy changes, deciding to not keep a data connection to customers’ vehicles after the OnStar service is canceled.

We realized that our proposed amendments did not satisfy our subscribers. We listened, we responded to maintain the trust of our more than 6 million customers.”

-Kameya, OnStar Communications
kameya.shows@onstar.com
www.onstar.com
www.twitter.com/OnStar
www.facebook.com/OnStar

KamShows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #41
JustGeorge
ZL1 CRT 1 of 53

Does OnStar Collect And Distribute Any Data?

So can you say that OnStar never tracks, collects or sells data from OnStar equipped vehicles? Whether a paying customer or not.

I feel a lack of trust. Can you guarantee that this will never happen in the future?

OnStar also reserves the right to sell "anonymized" information collected from vehicles to outside companies. "Anonymized" data is aggregated and cannot be traced back to any individual vehicle or person.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #42
KamShows

Drives: GM
JustGeorge,
OnStar does not continuously track your vehicle. I cannot guarantee what will happen in the future, but can say currently there are no plans to do so.
-Kameya Shows, OnStar Communications
KamShows is offline   Reply With Quote