Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-23-2014, 03:56 PM   #1
nightrider28

Drives: 2011 2SS
Daily Drivers with Cam

Hello,

I was just wondering for those of you that have a DD with a cam installed. Can you please post a video of your idle clip, and include the type of cam that was installed or if it was a comp cam just include the specs? Also, along with the video if you could briefly discuss stuff like MPG, drive ability, low-end power, etc? Thank you all in advance, been trying to understand what is the best cam for me and it seems as soon as I decide on one, I find a review that pushes me away.
nightrider28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
revs2ninegrand

Drives: Ram, Jeep, Ducati
I don't have an idle video but I have the night fury cam and it is my DD for now. There's a ton of videos on youtube with idle sounds of this cam. On the highway I lost like 1.5mpg and around town I average just under 14. It doesn't buck or anything real bad unless I'm trying to cruise real low RPM's. I would definitely recommend it!
revs2ninegrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
bmbl12m6

Drives: 2012 bumble bee
Vid is cam, with headers,high flow cats, stock x,and borla atak, CAI.

Dyno sheet at end of this thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340338

MPG = no clue, been meaning to figure that out but only driving 8 miles a day.

And the Cam is a 21st Century Musclecar CMC-40. I lost a little HP in the lower end, maybe 10hp, but made much stronger gains in the sweet spot.

Driving is awesome, just gotta make sure the engine is up to temp before winding the springs up. I usually let it sit till the temp gauge is almost up and the oil half way there, then ill drive nice and conservative staying below ~3k until the oil temp is up to par, that way I know hot oil should be coating them. At that point, whatever traffic dictates. Hope this helps.

Also mine does buck a little but like stated above but only in lower rpms. Have to sort of relearn when and where to shift/cruise rpm wise.
bmbl12m6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #4
spacecowby

Drives: 2010 black 2SS/RS
The cam in the vid is 229/236 112 LSA. MPG driving around town 1-3 gear it's pretty bad, maybe 8-10. But I still get around 20 on the highway. Driveability is fine to me but others with the same cam say they don't like it for a DD. It bucks in low RPM so parking lots are kind of tricky. Power really doesn't come on until about 2500 RPM. Cam has a nice lope to it and sounds really mean. Hope it helps.

Black cars are not hobbies, they are an obsession
spacecowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
1LE801
"Lohla"

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 :"Lohla"
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kWg5AKKlICs

233/248 113+5

23 MPG on open road. I'm averaging about 17 around town. Over 1200 rpm the surging is very slight. HIGHLY recommend JDP and this setup.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #6
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE
No idle clip of mine but I have the Comp Cams Custom Grind 228/244 113LSA Cam, down under 1500RPM when near no throttle it bucks.

MPG in City is about 14-15 Highway is about 21MPG. Its a good DD cam and makes good power, but when im on it alot MPG drops to about 8MPG.
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
2011ss/rs

Drives: 11 ss/rs RJT w/Black Cherry stripes
Send a message via AIM to 2011ss/rs
I just had a cam install completed I did not go crazy since I wanted to drive the car. I went with a Comp Cam Manley push rods, double springs, new timing gear and chain, under drive pully and 160 thermostat. Fuel mileage is around 18 but I followed a buddy to a show and I was up to 26.2 at 65 mph according to the dash display but with the extra power I wouldn't complain if it was 12 mpg.

Camaro SS: http://youtu.be/1xS1hSQum_I
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
here........ TSP's best..........

Yes it has cam surge if driving with out enough rpms especially in lower gears, yet runs like crazy when stomped even partially, mileage-2 mpg slow and top end, h.p. 491. And it takes some getting used to driving with such a larger cam but after a while its second nature and no big deal for a old hot rodder like me. Other post their duration......... My clip tells my lift.... a lot, duration..a lot.... lsa 112, dynoes on mustang..........just the major three, cai, Lt's with cats and cam....
Old 04-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
canecorso69
run ur car not ur mouth

Drives: 2013 1LE
Here is an idle clip after warming up some

MPG....have no clue

Driveablitiy....pretty much the same as before. If there is surging I havent felt it but I dont drive it that much as of yet.

Specs......not sure. (im at work)
Old 04-24-2014, 11:20 PM   #10
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS

I DD with my custom grind CMS cam. 23x/24x on a 11x
Other mods in sig..

MPG's around 25 on the highway if I cruise at like 65-70 and stay out of it. As soon as I get on it, it'll drop pretty quick..

Drivability is great, but that's thanks to Ryne's tune. No bucking at low speeds, cruises just fine around town.
2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS M6 | LSA Blower, 2.5" pulley, 10% lower, FIC1000's, Fore Innovations Twin Pump fuel system w/ Flex Fuel, CMS Custom Grind Cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ catless off-road pipes, NPP Exhaust, 3.91's, JLT ZL1 Intake, Prospeed Heat Exchanger | Pfadt Suspension, 1LE Sway Bars | DSS 1000hp axles |
Tuned by Ryne @ CMS E85: 734rwhp/636rwtq (mustang dyno)
Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:22 AM   #11
SSexy Camaro
Patiently Waiting

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ss/rs View Post
I just had a cam install completed I did not go crazy since I wanted to drive the car. I went with a Comp Cam Manley push rods, double springs, new timing gear and chain, under drive pully and 160 thermostat. Fuel mileage is around 18 but I followed a buddy to a show and I was up to 26.2 at 65 mph according to the dash display but with the extra power I wouldn't complain if it was 12 mpg.

Camaro SS: http://youtu.be/1xS1hSQum_I

That sounds great did you get Matt at TT Performance in NJ to do this? Please PM me and let me know how much the cost was. Please please please let me know, this sounds amazing.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:58 AM   #12
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
Here is mine from Spartan LSX Performance in Auburn, GA - specs are in the signature. It is custom with custom lobes so they dont ramp up so hard and slam the lifter back down. It is a DD. I am glad I didn't go much more agressive because it is as much fun as I want without regrets - others may tolerate more... I purchased the cam from Cam Motion.
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:57 AM   #13
sloSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS RS LS3
Vengeance Racing Stage II cam in mine.
Took a road trip Easter weekend and got 24+ mpg.
Commuting is 14 - 17 mpg depending on the amount of idling in traffic.
I was after drivability and torque. Very pleased with results.
Lots of power throughout the rpm range.
Google search "LS3 Vengeance Stage 2 cam" and watch the YouTube video of the Gen 5 Camaro.
I watched a number of YouTube videos about cam installations in Gen 5 Camaro's before deciding, have fun!
sloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #14
2011ss/rs

Drives: 11 ss/rs RJT w/Black Cherry stripes
Send a message via AIM to 2011ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSexy Camaro View Post
That sounds great did you get Matt at TT Performance in NJ to do this? Please PM me and let me know how much the cost was. Please please please let me know, this sounds amazing.
Thanks yes I had Matt and his crew take care of the install. PM sent.