Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-19-2019, 12:03 AM   #1
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
Experimented with a new wash sequence today

Hi everyone,

Have been experimenting with different "hybrid" wash methods (mixes of washless/rinseless/traditional methods) recently and landed on one today I was pretty happy with. Why try new methods? Well partly I find it fun to experiment. But also drawback from traditional / 2bm in our area is that you can get a pretty big fine for letting soapy water run-off into the road/sewer (not to mention there is a water shortage here) and I find it just takes a bit longer than I'd like. I used to be a fan of 'regular' rinseless washing but after doing so for a while I saw more swirls show up and I'm just not convinced it's safe to rub anything on a car that hasn't been hosed off first. No matter how much encapsulation or pre-spraying is involved.

SO, tried to come up with something that gets some of the benefits of a soapy bucket wash, with the speed and less water usage of rinseless. Used a mix of products and brands. Wouldn't do this on a car that was particularly dirty, but for an every couple of week maintenance wash. Steps were:

Step 1 - Rinse car using hose w/ sprayer nozzle to remove most unbonded dirt
Step 2 - Foam the car with Ammo Frothe (a hoseless foam)
Step 3 - Rinseless wash (using the foam for added lubrication) with Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash using the Garry Dean method with a pile of Rag Company Eagle Edgeless towels
Step 4 - Spray with Chemical Guys after wash as a drying aid, and dry with Adam's Ultra Plush Drying Towel
Step 5 - Go over with final spray and buff using Kenotek Showroom Shine
Step 6 - Use Ultima waterless wash to wash the wheels with some workhorse MF towels

All in all this didn't really take too much time, there wasn't much water involved, no runoff, and I didn't get wet (an added time saver of sorts). Feel like I still knocked off the loose dirt instead of dragging it around, and got lots of lubrication. Now, I happen to have all these products lying around so used them, but I'm sure someone could come up with a way of doing something like this with fewer products.

Here's how it came out. I'll note my car isn't garaged, and last full detail was just over two years ago (car was coated then as well):

Quick walk-around video:
https://flic.kr/p/2eKdaG7

Oops, forgot to wipe the suds of the door sills on this one!

Thanks,

HAMBO
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:03 AM   #2
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
looks gorgeous. But your car always does. was the wheels the hardest with this method?
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:30 PM   #3
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
looks gorgeous. But your car always does. was the wheels the hardest with this method?
Thank you!

Ya the wheels are a bit of a pain, but multi-spoke wheels seem to always be a pain regardless of the method.
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:17 PM   #4
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMBO View Post
Thank you!

Ya the wheels are a bit of a pain, but multi-spoke wheels seem to always be a pain regardless of the method.
Amen to that. Great write up, appreciate that. I may have to try some of this, looks straight forward.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote