Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > International Regions > UK

Old 10-01-2018, 02:50 PM   #1
waylander

Drives: 2013 SS, SLK55, Mercedes GLC, Clio
starting my search for a 5th gen.

well I've taken the plunge and have (nearly) decided I need to have another Camaro in my life. As much as I like my SLK55 I decided I've got to get rid and get back to Camaro #7 (or possibly 8).

If anyone knows of one for sale please feel free to ping me a reply

I guess it would help to know what I'm looking for...

Must have:

SS/RS

Auto

After that I'm a little less fussy:

Prefer not to have black or yellow

Would like:

HUD
Heated seats
Reversing camera (though one can be retrofitted)
US import rather than a UK car (again not an issue if not)

I'm not sold on the idea of a vert (the SLK is ok since it's got the hard-top). though if everything else is perfect I'd consider one ...
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:44 AM   #2
johndm

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Hiya mate,

Welcome to the forum.

Most on here seem to use Facebook more these days, even though there is so much helpful info on here.

Are you on Facebook? If so, add me as a friend and I will join you into our Camaro5/Camaro6 group chat. There is a respected dealer on there, parts guy and more

My Facebook is John D Myers, Bedford UK, Orange Camaro on profile pic

FYI

2013 is the last of the 4 tail light model, 2SS with RS has all the toys, heated seats, mylink with big screen & reverse camera and HUD. Message if your not sure which years have what ok?

Remember Euro/UK do not have the 4 tail lights, they have euro lights and dumbo or ford Transit door mirrors, and cost more than double for road tax

Cheers
johndm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:28 PM   #3
waylander

thanks for that John , I'll look into facebook a little later (my wife's on fb, I'm a bit of a luddite!).

I do prefer the twin rear lights though could live with the siamesed UK spec rears. The issue with the 2013 is the ££ (or indeed $$ - especially given the exchange rate at the moment ).

My understanding is that the 2013, although it has the mylink and screen has issues with satnav and needs programming to accept UK radio frequencies (US only going up in odd numbers on the FM side of things). I would hope that satnav and the radio isn't an issue on the UK version, though then you do have to make do with those hideous mirrors (I'm sure they can be exchanged for US style ones though ) as for the road-tax, it's a pain but over the course of a years it's an extra 3 or 4 tanks of petrol so not the end of the world
Old 10-03-2018, 05:12 AM   #4
johndm

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylander View Post
thanks for that John , I'll look into facebook a little later (my wife's on fb, I'm a bit of a luddite!).

I do prefer the twin rear lights though could live with the siamesed UK spec rears. The issue with the 2013 is the ££ (or indeed $$ - especially given the exchange rate at the moment ).

My understanding is that the 2013, although it has the mylink and screen has issues with satnav and needs programming to accept UK radio frequencies (US only going up in odd numbers on the FM side of things). I would hope that satnav and the radio isn't an issue on the UK version, though then you do have to make do with those hideous mirrors (I'm sure they can be exchanged for US style ones though ) as for the road-tax, it's a pain but over the course of a years it's an extra 3 or 4 tanks of petrol so not the end of the world
Indeed, the rate is poor at the moment, are you looking to import or buy something already here? There is a guy who imports only good vehicles on our Facebook group, can get you his contact details if your not planning to join the Facebook crowd? There have been a number of bad cars advertised here recently on ebay and Auto Trader, total loss or write off from the US being repaired in eastern European areas then moved here and sold without history, so please beware! Typically, two of our group had red SS''s for sale recently, both around the 20k mark, and both only just sold!

The MyLink cannot be reprogrammed as far as I know, so yes only odd frequencies but just like any other US import, none have ever done the evens, and no maps available for the nav on US spec either, nor will the Onstar work in the UK.

UK models have no SS badges either, US have them on grille, rear, steering wheel and embroidered on head rests., but do have UK spec radios and nav.

There are other differences, TPMS sensors are different frequencies for instance, and anything UK/Euro specific will be much more expensive such as rear light clusters if they fail, but at the end of the day it's your choice.

I wanted a US spec that looks EXACTLY as it would over there, so I don't have any screwed on side repeaters, all four red tail lights but amber flash LED's behind, and a concealed rear fog light

UK spec also 'should' have UK size plates, where US models are legally allowed US size
Old 10-03-2018, 03:55 PM   #5
waylander

Thanks for the response

I must admit that given the choice a US spec would be preferable to a UK/Euro spec (prefer the rear lights, SS badging etc) and while the tax issue isn't the biggest of issues I'd rather have £280 extra a year in my pocket than HMRC's!. I've got no issues vis-a-vis servicing etc having owned Yanks for most of the last 20 years and it does strike me that the US version is going to have a better choice of spares than Euro/UK.

I know that at least one member had a red SS for sale - I missed it by a day WRT to dodgy ones there have been a few I've got my suspicions about and would hope that CarFax picks them up.

Messaged you earlier via FB in case you were wondering who the strange person trying to friend you is
Old 10-04-2018, 04:57 AM   #6
johndm

Quote:
Thanks for the response

I must admit that given the choice a US spec would be preferable to a UK/Euro spec (prefer the rear lights, SS badging etc) and while the tax issue isn't the biggest of issues I'd rather have £280 extra a year in my pocket than HMRC's!. I've got no issues vis-a-vis servicing etc having owned Yanks for most of the last 20 years and it does strike me that the US version is going to have a better choice of spares than Euro/UK.

I know that at least one member had a red SS for sale - I missed it by a day WRT to dodgy ones there have been a few I've got my suspicions about and would hope that CarFax picks them up.

Messaged you earlier via FB in case you were wondering who the strange person trying to friend you is
Oops, blocked that friend request, you cannot send another, PM me the name and I can send a request to you/your wife if you like
Old 10-04-2018, 12:09 PM   #7
waylander

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndm View Post
Oops, blocked that friend request, you cannot send another, PM me the name and I can send a request to you/your wife if you like

Done, you have a PM
Old 10-05-2018, 05:43 AM   #8
johndm

Quote:
Done, you have a PM
Added to the FB group along with your requirements

Cheers,

John
Old 10-05-2018, 07:51 AM   #9
waylander

Cheers chap - off to look at one tomorrow. UK spec so a few things I need to see in person....
Old 10-06-2018, 02:11 PM   #10
waylander

well - that went differently to what I expected! I expected to quite like it, however in all honesty I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. Is it perfect? No, there are a couple of issues need looking at:

- sounds like the exhaust is a little loose (apparently it's a Borla system) so that'll need doing.
- check engine light is on and the O2 sensor has been replaced a couple of times. The O2 in conjunction with the CAI that's been fitted is, I suspect, the reason for this so a fix shouldn't be too hard to effect.

- no spare remote so I'll need to price up a replacement (UK car so it shouldn't be too much of an issue).
- it's had more owners than ideal TBH - but against that I do know that US cars and large engined cars both have more owners than the typical UK car so it's not as big an issue as it would be for (say) a Golf GTi.
- satnav is obviously a non-starter (in common with all US cars) and there is no digital radio (again though I suspect an add-on module can be purchased?)

On the good side:
- although it's a big car it really doesn't feel that big.
- HUD is surprisingly effective
- it's a lot more comfortable than I thought it would be (40 profile rubber likely helps in that regard)
-bodywork seems to be very good (it should be with only 20k)

anything I've not thought of?
Old 10-06-2018, 04:07 PM   #11
johndm

Quote:
well - that went differently to what I expected! I expected to quite like it, however in all honesty I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. Is it perfect? No, there are a couple of issues need looking at:

- sounds like the exhaust is a little loose (apparently it's a Borla system) so that'll need doing.
- check engine light is on and the O2 sensor has been replaced a couple of times. The O2 in conjunction with the CAI that's been fitted is, I suspect, the reason for this so a fix shouldn't be too hard to effect.

- no spare remote so I'll need to price up a replacement (UK car so it shouldn't be too much of an issue).
- it's had more owners than ideal TBH - but against that I do know that US cars and large engined cars both have more owners than the typical UK car so it's not as big an issue as it would be for (say) a Golf GTi.
- satnav is obviously a non-starter (in common with all US cars) and there is no digital radio (again though I suspect an add-on module can be purchased?)

On the good side:
- although it's a big car it really doesn't feel that big.
- HUD is surprisingly effective
- it's a lot more comfortable than I thought it would be (40 profile rubber likely helps in that regard)
-bodywork seems to be very good (it should be with only 20k)

anything I've not thought of?
Ask for a Carfax report and UK service history
Did it come direct from the US, any UK owners?
On ebay or Trader?
Post a pic on the FB chat thread to see if anyone knows the car

Borla is an expensive exhaust, axle back or cat back are great sound

Get the seller to get the codes read to identify the issue. Don't think a CAI alone will trigger a CEL but not 100% sure, ask on chat group, could be more serious?

UK/Euro models will need a UK spec fob, I think US are a different frequency, check on chat? US spec from ebay, get OEM, Timpsoms can cut blade, program youself.

With a Borla you won't use the radio, you will always have a window open

They are comfy, mine is lowered and on ZL1 wheels and tyres and is still a great ride

Good chance someone on the chat might know the car

J

Last edited by johndm; 10-06-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:39 AM   #12
johndm

The one in Chichester?
Old 10-07-2018, 08:22 AM   #13
waylander

aye - that is one of their cheaper cars

the showroom is a real candystore (Debbie was entranced by the amethyst red Vanquish V12, but the price was a little off-putting )
Old 10-07-2018, 08:27 AM   #14
johndm

2013's don't come up very often, you going for it?