Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-30-2018, 03:05 PM   #29
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdfuzionTN View Post
At first it wouldnt, 4th was a real problem but if i got to 5-6 it would be fine. Towards the end I tried manual mode with the paddles. It would down shift with just normal driving and scare the cr@p out of me when it did it.
WELP... That's exactly what my car did. I'll talk to the trans shop today and see what the options/prices are.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:25 PM   #30
ColdfuzionTN

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I dont think they can pressure test with it in the vehicle but I'd check with them and see if they did it already. Best of luck let us know what it ends up being for sure.
ColdfuzionTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:20 AM   #31
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

ALRIGHT so. Update time.

Shop went into the transmissions memory log and said they could see two separate abnormal downshifts (This makes sense. One happened on Friday and the other on Sunday). However, they could see that they were computer commanded shifts. So this narrows it down to the computer telling the car to shift at abnormal times.

So I guess my next step will be seeing if there's an available software update for the transmission through Chevrolet.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:47 AM   #32
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Why don't you just buy an SCT X4 tuner from DynoSteve and have him give you a free custom tune. The tuner will download a new tune to the TCM. Unless your dealer can guarantee the problem will be solved and your car is a 2010 the dealer is just going to continue to soak you for cash and not guarantee a fix.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:04 AM   #33
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoss View Post
Why don't you just buy an SCT X4 tuner from DynoSteve and have him give you a free custom tune. The tuner will download a new tune to the TCM. Unless your dealer can guarantee the problem will be solved and your car is a 2010 the dealer is just going to continue to soak you for cash and not guarantee a fix.
This is definitely a good idea. Especially since I just bought TSP headers and would like to have the CEL tuned out as well.

However, I've heard bad things about long distance tuners vs dyno tunes.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:53 AM   #34
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
This is definitely a good idea. Especially since I just bought TSP headers and would like to have the CEL tuned out as well.

However, I've heard bad things about long distance tuners vs dyno tunes.
You will be wasting your money with a dyno tune just for minor stuff like headers and a cold air intake. DynoTunes run $600 and the SCT X4 from Steve is about $399. You can run a datalog and send it back to Steve for review but he has done so many of these cars with longtube headers and a cold air intake and there is not much difference. Up to you, check on the tuning forum and you will see quite a few happy Camaro Owners.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:06 AM   #35
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoss View Post
You will be wasting your money with a dyno tune just for minor stuff like headers and a cold air intake. DynoTunes run $600 and the SCT X4 from Steve is about $399. You can run a datalog and send it back to Steve for review but he has done so many of these cars with longtube headers and a cold air intake and there is not much difference. Up to you, check on the tuning forum and you will see quite a few happy Camaro Owners.
Thanks for the info. Do I need to buy a separate program to data log and receive files from him? Obviously I don't know much about tuning.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:21 AM   #36
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Thanks for the info. Do I need to buy a separate program to data log and receive files from him? Obviously I don't know much about tuning.
I haven't data logged mine as I'm all stock otherwise so not entirely sure but I think all you need is a laptop to do that. You will need a computer or laptop to send him the stock tune via email after its saved to the SCT device. You will receive the custom email tune and upload it to the SCTX4 from the PC device to plug into the OBDII port and load it onto the ECM & TCM.

I agree with Woodboss Steve is great to deal with & the tune really woke up my L99. Besides for the headers to provide real power benefit they need a tune to adjust things not to just remove the CEL. You might want to PM him and let him know what has occurred before tuning the TCM just a thought,
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:57 AM   #37
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
I haven't data logged mine as I'm all stock otherwise so not entirely sure but I think all you need is a laptop to do that. You will need a computer or laptop to send him the stock tune via email after its saved to the SCT device. You will receive the custom email tune and upload it to the SCTX4 from the PC device to plug into the OBDII port and load it onto the ECM & TCM.

I agree with Woodboss Steve is great to deal with & the tune really woke up my L99. Besides for the headers to provide real power benefit they need a tune to adjust things not to just remove the CEL. You might want to PM him and let him know what has occurred before tuning the TCM just a thought,
Sent him a message.

Thanks to everyone for the help!
Old 10-31-2018, 11:19 AM   #38
WoodBoss
"Old School"

To data log you can use a laptop or you can use the SCT X4 and it will hold one data log file and just overwrite it the next time you use it as a stand alone data logger. It's pretty easy you just plug it in and select data log, you will see some of the sensors reading out at that point and you hit the center button, you will see a little "REC" symbol come on in the center of the screen, do your run and then hit record again to stop it. Then you can plug it into a PC with the serial cable and download the data log using SCT's "LIVE LINK" software and view it, save it and send to Steve. To save your stock tune and put new custom tunes on your car you will have to use the "Device Updater " Software. All this can be downloaded at the SCT Website. If you have not installed a cold air intake like a Roto-Fab or CAI now would be the time to do it if you have the extra funds. I think Steve offers a package deal with the SCT & The CAI at the same time. Also make sure you have a strong MAF with a "K" stamped in it. Some of our 2010s came with weak MAFs that do not perform very well, I had to replace mine.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:13 PM   #39
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
I have to lean towards ColdZuzion's analysis.

I don't know why you think a software update is going to fix anything if it has been working fine for 8 years.
Personally, I have never had a auto last more than 70,000 miles, some much, much less, and after that they always went less and less between rebuilds. But I beat the snot out of them.
Hell, I blew a differential out of a car with ~4500 miles once. The factory sent an engineer to the dealer before they would warranty it
If you change the filter and it shifts again beware that is only a short-term fix. The filter becomes clogged with clutch and band material which means they are about worn out.
If a part is broken the filter won't change anything. If a gear won't engage the trans selects one that will. All it takes is one good whack on a part that may not have been totally up to spec and it's out.
A trans tune with faster, harder, shifts is definitely going to reduce the life span of the unit. Been there, done that. If it was better, Chevy would have had it doing that from the go.

I haven't owned an auto since 1990. Never had an issue with a manual, only ever replaced one clutch with ~130,000 miles on it.
Anyway, I prefer a manual. I pray they keep producing them as long as I live.
Now, the last work truck I had was an automatic. I loved that thing. A Ford Super-Duty with the towing package. But I wasn't paying for it. And trucks are more work to shift, so it was nice after a long day. I never regretted jumping into my car with a stick for the ride home from the shop.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:45 AM   #40
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
I have to lean towards ColdZuzion's analysis.

I don't know why you think a software update is going to fix anything if it has been working fine for 8 years.
Personally, I have never had a auto last more than 70,000 miles, some much, much less, and after that they always went less and less between rebuilds. But I beat the snot out of them.
Hell, I blew a differential out of a car with ~4500 miles once. The factory sent an engineer to the dealer before they would warranty it
If you change the filter and it shifts again beware that is only a short-term fix. The filter becomes clogged with clutch and band material which means they are about worn out.
If a part is broken the filter won't change anything. If a gear won't engage the trans selects one that will. All it takes is one good whack on a part that may not have been totally up to spec and it's out.
A trans tune with faster, harder, shifts is definitely going to reduce the life span of the unit. Been there, done that. If it was better, Chevy would have had it doing that from the go.

I haven't owned an auto since 1990. Never had an issue with a manual, only ever replaced one clutch with ~130,000 miles on it.
Anyway, I prefer a manual. I pray they keep producing them as long as I live.
Now, the last work truck I had was an automatic. I loved that thing. A Ford Super-Duty with the towing package. But I wasn't paying for it. And trucks are more work to shift, so it was nice after a long day. I never regretted jumping into my car with a stick for the ride home from the shop.
What's your suggestion then? It's been narrowed down to the computer telling it to shift.

Granted, I don't know too much about electronics and such.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:14 AM   #41
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
The computer may be telling it to, or not to shift because of signals being recieved or not being recieved from any number of sensors. If it shifts properly with tapshift I'd be looking at electrical or computer issues. It's not a software upgrade or tune related issue unless someone changed something when the problem developed.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:18 AM   #42
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
The computer may be telling it to, or not to shift because of signals being recieved or not being recieved from any number of sensors. If it shifts properly with tapshift I'd be looking at electrical or computer issues. It's not a software upgrade or tune related issue unless someone changed something when the problem developed.
Wouldn't a sensor trip a CEL?

But your explanation of why it wouldn't be a software update definitely makes sense..