Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-08-2017, 04:06 PM   #1
CruisingSpeed
The Stealth Bumblebee

Drives: Black 2013 2LS
Strange smudges

Hey everyone, last week i clayed, polished, and waxed my camaro. Now that i have taken it out in the sun after a week of bad weather i found some strange swirls or smudges all over the car. They look almost like hollograms but i hand polished and waxed so i dont think thats it. Other than that the finish looks nice and wet looking. I used meguiars polish and blackfire black ice wax.

Can anyone please tell me what this could be and how to get rid of it?
I figured this was some type of oily residue from either wax or polish and tried to wipe it off with quick detailer but it seems it is the same or smears it.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  206.4 KB
Old 01-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
CruisingSpeed
The Stealth Bumblebee

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  222.7 KB
Old 01-08-2017, 04:51 PM   #3
Gayton81

Drives: 2012 2SSRS
Strange smudges

May have been contaminants on your polishing pads or rags. I would recommend a DA for polishing. Speed has a lot to do with holograms like such...too slow and they can be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2017, 06:13 PM   #4
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
If it were me I think I would machine polish again, just do a 2x2 test spot, go slow and make sure you use enough pressure. Don't move on until you correct your test spot.
Check out this video, it may help you.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:46 PM   #5
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Since you polished by hand I agree that you probably didn't create enough heat to produce holograms. These usually come from using a rotary, which creates a lot of heat of the surface.

Did you prep the surface for wax after hand polishing with 10-15% IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol), or Carpro Eraser?

Your wax won't bond properly if you still have oils on the surface. Put wax or sealant over oil, and you get smeared spots.

You mentioned Meguiars, so I'm assuming you used 205, or Ultimate Polish. Both of these have oils which need to be removed before you apply your wax.

So do a strip wash, then wipe down with IPA or Eraser for an oil free surface, then re-apply your wax.

Your Black Ice wax cures in 10 minutes if I'm not mistaken.

Do a swipe test to be sure it has cured properly before removal.

Though this video is for a Pinnacle product, the swipe test works for any wax or sealant that cures to a haze.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 01-08-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:31 AM   #6
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
Which Meguiar's polish did you use by hand? If it was one of their more abrasive polishes it very well could be marring of the paint by the product.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:38 AM   #7
CruisingSpeed
The Stealth Bumblebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZN View Post
Which Meguiar's polish did you use by hand? If it was one of their more abrasive polishes it very well could be marring of the paint by the product.
It was Meguiars Ultimate Polish and I've used once before without having this issue. The marks float with the light when you walk along the car so its not like its actually pooled up only in certain areas. At night i put a flash light on the car and it seems like they are shiney streaks as if it was still wax or something that has been applied and hazed over.

Last edited by CruisingSpeed; 01-09-2017 at 06:25 PM.
CruisingSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:15 AM   #8
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Before you clayed, did you strip wash the car to remove any old wax? There are plenty of strip wash products to use to get rid of old wax. When claying, what kind of lubricant did you use to get rid of the contaminants. Since you said you hand polished the car, was the pad previously used? All these questions will factor why you got the final result. If you have a machine polisher or have enough for one, that will reveal the best result.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:30 AM   #9
CruisingSpeed
The Stealth Bumblebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace0751 View Post
Before you clayed, did you strip wash the car to remove any old wax? There are plenty of strip wash products to use to get rid of old wax. When claying, what kind of lubricant did you use to get rid of the contaminants. Since you said you hand polished the car, was the pad previously used? All these questions will factor why you got the final result. If you have a machine polisher or have enough for one, that will reveal the best result.

I had not strip washed, just regular wash. Figured claying would take old wax off. I used Meguiars quick detail spray. I believe it was ultimate. I used a horizontal and vertical motion when claying and that doesn't reflect the direction of these marks. When one section of the car wast tended too i laid a sheet down to keep dust from the garage off of it. I used the pad before but this time i used what i thought was a clean side. The reason i don't have a machine polisher and do by hand is actually to avoid getting holograms or damage at all cost. Too many times have nearly perfect looking cars pass me on the highway with holograms looking like they cooked pancakes or breakfast sausage on it. The wax is a lot easier to wipe off then the polish so I'm guessing it was in the polish. I did a test spot by re polishing but its quite cloudy to tell any difference.

My main concern is if any of this is fixable? It frustrates me that i spent so much time and effort into making it look good which it does but then when your in the wrong angle of light it looks like shit.

Last edited by CruisingSpeed; 01-09-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:46 PM   #10
BeastMode

Drives: 2011 SGM 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingSpeed View Post
I had not strip washed, just regular wash. Figured claying would take old wax off. I used Meguiars quick detail spray. I believe it was ultimate. I used a horizontal and vertical motion when claying and that doesn't reflect the direction of these marks. When one section of the car wast tended too i laid a sheet down to keep dust from the garage off of it. I used the pad before but this time i used what i thought was a clean side. The reason i don't have a machine polisher and do by hand is actually to avoid getting holograms or damage at all cost. Too many times have nearly perfect looking cars pass me on the highway with holograms looking like they cooked pancakes or breakfast sausage on it. The wax is a lot easier to wipe off then the polish so I'm guessing it was in the polish. I did a test spot by re polishing but its quite cloudy to tell any difference.

My main concern is if any of this is fixable? It frustrates me that i spent so much time and effort into making it look good which it does but then when your in the wrong angle of light it looks like shit.

Likely your paint just has a number of swirls (very fine scratches in the clear coat) that hand polishing just isn't going to take out without some considerable effort. Machine polishing is the way to go. With a black car this is a constant battle, I would suggest taking time to learn some conservative washing techniques (if you don't already) to apply after correcting the current issues. While this will not prevent swirls in entirety, it will greatly reduce their effect.

If you are concerned about damaging your paint go with a machine polisher like a Porter Cable 7424 - the only way I know of to damage your paint with one of these is to drop the machine on your car - they produce very little heat and are not near as fast as a rotary polisher, but is significantly faster than by hand. The Junkman has some great videos on YouTube on how to use these polishers for dummies - it is how I learned to use one and it helps you put out a phenomenal product in the end. A Porter Cable with Meguiars M105 with Orange Pad, followed by M205 with a white pad will give you amazing results - your car will be a black mirror. After the first correction, if proper care is utilized, the finish can be maintained by a quick polish with just M205 on an annual basis.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #11
CruisingSpeed
The Stealth Bumblebee

It doesn't seem as if its swirls. I know how swirls look and this is more of a shiny smeary looking haze.

Last edited by CruisingSpeed; 01-09-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:43 PM   #12
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
Quote:
It was Meguiars Ultimate Polish and I've used once before without having this issue. The marks float with the light when you walk along the car so its not like its actually pooled up only in certain areas. At night i put a flash light on the car and it seems like there are streaks as if it was still wax or something that has been applied and hazed over.
I checked, and Meguiar's Ultimate Polish is safe to be used by hand as well as by machine. Most likely, as others have stated, you have some residue left on the vehicle. Perhaps not all the wax was removed, or what remained rehazed. Try the Isopropyl Alcohol wipe down of a section where the smears/smudging is and see if that removes it. The alcohol is going to remove the wax too, so rewaxing will be necessary.

Good Luck!
Old 01-09-2017, 03:08 PM   #13
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Or try some light compound to see if the smudges leave then a wax after.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:16 PM   #14
Merlin

Drives: Very Shiny
Quote:
I clayed, polished, and waxed my camaro.

Now that i have taken it out in the sun after a week of bad weather i found some strange swirls or smudges all over the car.

They look almost like holograms but i hand polished and waxed so i don't think thats it.
Other than that the finish looks nice and wet looking. I used meguiar's polish and blackfire black ice wax.

Can anyone please tell me what this could be and how to get rid of it?

I figured this was some type of oily residue from either wax or polish and tried to wipe it off with quick detailer but it seems it is the same or smears it.
Swirls and Smudges are completely different animals. Swirls are fine or very fine scratches in the paint.

1. I have used Meguiars quick detail spray (Red Bottle) many times as a clay lube. It should be safe.
What you are seeing could be many different things. It could even be micro-marring from a bad clay bar.

2. Because you polished by hand I have a hard time believing they are holograms. (anything is possible)
They may be something similar. It could depend on the pad(s) you used to apply the Megs Ultimate polish.

3. When you try to wipe it off & it smears sounds to me like an oily residue remaining on the paint surface.
The first thing I would do is strip the paint down. I would start with a 2BM Dawn (blue original) soapy wash.
This means, removing the wax & any residual Megs UC polishing oils. Take it all the way down to bare paint.
My favorite cleaning/stripping product is CarPro Eraser. I prefer Eraser over IPA or Mineral Spirits products.
My favorite "General Purpose" microfiber towels are Carpro BOA's. I have found they don't scratch soft paint.

Quote:
It frustrates me that i spent so much time and effort into making it look good which it does but then when your in the wrong angle of light
We've all been there it's part of the learning process. Every day there are new pads, products and processes.

Quote:
My main concern is if any of this is fixable?
Short answer: YES

Let's start one step at a time.
Before you strip wash your paint here is a simple test to try.
Wipe with a microfiber towel wipe up and down and look at the "lines/smudges"
Wipe with the same microfiber towel wipe left and right and look at the "lines/smudges"
Do they move around (in the sun) at different angles when you change the towel direction?
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote