Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 12-29-2016, 10:20 AM   #1
AJensen383

Drives: 2014-ZL1-M6-CRT, 68 camaro SS 496
650+rwhp combos

Hey guys, Im just wondering what combos are you guys running to get 650+ RWHP.. I know headers, cai, injectors and pulleys are standard issue, but what other mods have been done to get the result?

I know there are companies with packages out there, but I would like to see how much boost you guys are running to achieve 650+ with these packages, thats something i cant seem to find

...and what your torque is.. From what i was searching, there seems to be quite a difference in torque figures between some of these companies "packages"..I believe this mostly has to do with cam choice, and boost pressure, since most of these packages consist of the same mods ( cai, injectors, pulleys...etc) ..

Also, whats the benefit from doing an upper pulley vs just a lower pulley if the resulting % overdrive is the same?.. I know jannettys kits only do the lower pulley, but alot of people also do the upper as well...Seems like alot of extra work to do the upper if you can get the same overdrive by just doing the lower??..

Lastly, when does a ported blower/snout/tb come into play??.. I know alot of people in the CTSV world port the blower but I dont see too many guys on this forum get it ported... From what i have read, it would be good for 30+RWHP according to Formato for roughly the same price as a set of headers...Seems like a good pick up in power
2014- Crystal Red-ZL1 #1601, M6, Recaro, sunroof, Nav-stock-SOLD
1968 Camaro SS Clone- 496 BBC, Legend 5speed, 12 bolt
1970 Nova SS- 383 SBC 588hp, 200-4r, 12 bolt

Last edited by AJensen383; 12-29-2016 at 10:32 AM.
AJensen383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:32 AM   #2
ZLWonton

Drives: 2014 ZL1 BRM
everything you said, plus a cam & Hx will get you there

2010 SS IOM (sold)
2014 BRM ZL1
Built & tuned by Spartan Performance: TSP 1 7/8 headers, Rotofab intake, 2.55 upper/9.1 lower pulleys, Alky Meth Kit, Ron Davis Hx, Custom cam, Deathwerks 950 injectors, CNC Stage 2 ported heads; 4490 Customs: Satin White Aluminum, charcoal metallic, dragon red custom wrap; Nightowl LED system; AlphaSound custom built Hertz audio setup with rear seat delete/custom amp ramp; Ferrada FR5 wheels
ZLWonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I'm happy with my JRE 125rwhp package.

https://www.jreperformanceparts.com/...-rwhp-package/

Everything feels tight and the tune is spot on. I've tracked the car about 6 times with this package with no issues to date.

No cam yet but maybe someday. lol
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #4
TOO.BAD

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 Convertible
Here is the JRE 650 RWHP package I got from Jannetty. Here is what he wrote about my build: I am totally satisfied with the results!
We have never had one lower than 650 RWHP, I always advertise my packages at the lowest numbers we see.

Most of them have been between 651-660 RWHP

Most all of them have 11.5 psi boost.

I believe this blower is moving a bit more air because the boost is 12.5 psi, one of the good ones built on a Wednesday.

This one also has the new Dyantech Supercats.

Our 650 RWHP Package consists of.

Rotofab cold air kit
Rotofab dual mode scoop
Rotofab washer bottle relocation
JRE Rough Idle Road Race special cam package
Dynatech 1 7/8 Long tube headers coated
Dynatech Supercats in to NPP exhaust.
ID-850 injectors
ATI superdamper
LPE 22.5% crank pulley
Metco 50mm idler
Correct Gates belt
Moroso Catch can
JRE Drain kit for catch can.
MSD Fuel pump voltage booster.
SCT X4 tuner
JRE custom tuning.

Thank you for looking
Ted.
Mild to Wild Switch, Roto Fab CAI, Big Gulp, Washer Relocation, Ported Throttle Body, Rough Idle Road Race Cam, Supporting Valve Train Upgrade, Dynatech Long Tube Headers Ceramic Coated and High Flow Converters, Injector Dynamics 1025 cc, 22.5%Overdrive Balancer Pulley, Fuel Pump Voltage Booster, Moroso Catch Can.
Jannetty Installed and Tuned.

675 RWHP 630 RWTQ 11.325 1/4 Mile Time @ 124.53 MPH
TOO.BAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:52 PM   #5
JDP Tech

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS 429 LSX/F1X
PM sent

Winslow
JDP Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:52 PM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJensen383 View Post
Hey guys, Im just wondering what combos are you guys running to get 650+ RWHP.. I know headers, cai, injectors and pulleys are standard issue, but what other mods have been done to get the result?

I know there are companies with packages out there, but I would like to see how much boost you guys are running to achieve 650+ with these packages, thats something i cant seem to find

...and what your torque is.. From what i was searching, there seems to be quite a difference in torque figures between some of these companies "packages"..I believe this mostly has to do with cam choice, and boost pressure, since most of these packages consist of the same mods ( cai, injectors, pulleys...etc) ..

Also, whats the benefit from doing an upper pulley vs just a lower pulley if the resulting % overdrive is the same?.. I know jannettys kits only do the lower pulley, but alot of people also do the upper as well...Seems like alot of extra work to do the upper if you can get the same overdrive by just doing the lower??..

Lastly, when does a ported blower/snout/tb come into play??.. I know alot of people in the CTSV world port the blower but I dont see too many guys on this forum get it ported... From what i have read, it would be good for 30+RWHP according to Formato for roughly the same price as a set of headers...Seems like a good pick up in power
The Key to the best way to make power is to make the number you want with the lowest boost pressure.

Boost is a product of restriction and not a HP indicator.

I have had ZL-1s come in with different cam and needed 2 more PSI boost to make the same power as my package.

There are right ways and different ways to make power.

You can spin the hell out of the blower and use a lot of boost to reach your goal or you can increase air flow through the engine via the right cam, Air intake, TB, Headers exhaust.

The lower the boost pressure the higher the efficiency of power.

The goal is the highest power per lb. of boost.

JRE power packages achieve that.

Porting gains are in direct proportion to Blower speeds, so if you are spinning your blower at MAX blower RPM then you could see 20-30 HP from porting 102.Throttle body and 4.5 inch intake system.

Porting, is expensive, labor intensive and does very little at lower blower speeds.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

We will return from Vacation on Jan 3rd.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:18 PM   #7
AJensen383

Drives: 2014-ZL1-M6-CRT, 68 camaro SS 496
Thanks for the response Ted..

I understand and agree with what you are saying, making the same or more power with less boost is always a good thing..The more power an engine can make off boost the more power it will make WITH boost, plus it really keeps temps intake temps down, but I am having a more difficult time understanding why porting the blower wouldnt help even at lower blower speeds? I agree that at higher blower speeds the volume of air that is generated would gain more power and be of better benefit from having the extra volume that is created by porting, but even at lower blower speeds wouldnt the benefit still be realized??

I would think that at a minimum it would reduce boost pressure since its making the intake tract more efficient. Possibly the small gains it does create in a lower blower speed is outweighed by the cost involved in getting it all ported??

I would also like to get your thoughts on changing the upper pulley vs lower pulley? It seems that you are one of the only companies that does not change the upper pulley in any of your packages. I see most companies packages do a combination of upper and lower, yours only does the lower. If the percent of overdrive is the same, what is the benefit of doing the upper if it can be achieved with the easier to change lower?

I did send you an email a few weeks ago but you were out at SEMA..
2014- Crystal Red-ZL1 #1601, M6, Recaro, sunroof, Nav-stock-SOLD
1968 Camaro SS Clone- 496 BBC, Legend 5speed, 12 bolt
1970 Nova SS- 383 SBC 588hp, 200-4r, 12 bolt

AJensen383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:05 PM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJensen383 View Post
Thanks for the response Ted..

I understand and agree with what you are saying, making the same or more power with less boost is always a good thing..The more power an engine can make off boost the more power it will make WITH boost, plus it really keeps temps intake temps down, but I am having a more difficult time understanding why porting the blower wouldnt help even at lower blower speeds? I agree that at higher blower speeds the volume of air that is generated would gain more power and be of better benefit from having the extra volume that is created by porting, but even at lower blower speeds wouldnt the benefit still be realized??

I would think that at a minimum it would reduce boost pressure since its making the intake tract more efficient. Possibly the small gains it does create in a lower blower speed is outweighed by the cost involved in getting it all ported??

I would also like to get your thoughts on changing the upper pulley vs lower pulley? It seems that you are one of the only companies that does not change the upper pulley in any of your packages. I see most companies packages do a combination of upper and lower, yours only does the lower. If the percent of overdrive is the same, what is the benefit of doing the upper if it can be achieved with the easier to change lower?

I did send you an email a few weeks ago but you were out at SEMA..
I have completed intensive testing of the effects of larger Throttle bodies and porting at all different blower speeds.

There must be a restriction before there can be a gain.

The stock TB VS a 90 or 102 does absolutely nothing at stock blower speeds/pulley combo

Same with Porting.

Where at 28% overdrive we see about 20 RWHP from larger Throttle body and at 35% we see 30 RWHP and so on.

As you increase blower speeds restrictions start to accumulate, the faster the blower speed the larger the restriction.

Happy New Year.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote