Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
seanjhon

Drives: 2013 camaro
Strut Tower Brace Painting

Hey everyone,

I have seen that a lot of people have painted their strut brace. I have just received mine and looking to do the same thing. I have seen plenty of threads that have pics but no threads explaining how they have painted and their process.

Was wondering if there was a DIY thread on the process of prepping and painting a metal piece like that. Like the sand paper used, when to use it, when to wet sand, what grit to use.

Any info or maybe someone who has done it before can break down their process for me!! Thanks
seanjhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
I went the other route with ours and just polished the bar.

RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
Ksmoke

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT/RS
Pretty simple. I just sanded using 400, 600, 800. Cleaned it up real well, let it dry out completely. Used a sandable primer, about 3/4 coats. Re sanded to keep everything smooth. Applied desired colors, again 3/4 coats. Then used a clear coat 3/4 coats. Overall not to complicated to get done. If you've done any painting before the steps are pretty similar. Had it done for about 6 months so far with no issues.
Ksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
Michaels2011

Drives: 2014 2lt/RS
Here are some pics of how I painted mine & the paint I used…
The key is cleaning the surface to be painted well. I used rubbing alcohol for the final clean up prior to paint.
For the brace that attaches to the strut tower I used SIlver. 4 coats total, allowing plenty of drying time between coats.
Then I taped off silver and painted the strut bar blue, again 4 coats allowing plenty of drying time between coats.
Finally I cleared the whole brace & installed…
Hope this helps...
Attached Images

K&N cai..... WCC underhood lighting.... 1LE strut tower brace.... Custom painted Fuse box/engine covers & strut tower brace.... Pfadt 1.25 lowering springs.....Ghosted side markers.....
Michaels2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
Michaels2011

Strut brace installed with the other painted covers...
Attached Images

K&N cai..... WCC underhood lighting.... 1LE strut tower brace.... Custom painted Fuse box/engine covers & strut tower brace.... Pfadt 1.25 lowering springs.....Ghosted side markers.....
Old 07-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #6
seanjhon

How long between coats did you wait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaels2011 View Post
Here are some pics of how I painted mine & the paint I used…
The key is cleaning the surface to be painted well. I used rubbing alcohol for the final clean up prior to paint.
For the brace that attaches to the strut tower I used SIlver. 4 coats total, allowing plenty of drying time between coats.
Then I taped off silver and painted the strut bar blue, again 4 coats allowing plenty of drying time between coats.
Finally I cleared the whole brace & installed…
Hope this helps...
Old 07-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #7
seanjhon

Ksmoke,

Did you sand whole brace with each 400,600,800 once, or to a desired surface with each sandpaper?

When you re sanded after primer what sand paper did u use?

How long between coats did you wait before next coat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksmoke View Post
Pretty simple. I just sanded using 400, 600, 800. Cleaned it up real well, let it dry out completely. Used a sandable primer, about 3/4 coats. Re sanded to keep everything smooth. Applied desired colors, again 3/4 coats. Then used a clear coat 3/4 coats. Overall not to complicated to get done. If you've done any painting before the steps are pretty similar. Had it done for about 6 months so far with no issues.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:35 PM   #8
seanjhon

And how did you all keep from dust particles flying on?

How long after completed paint job did you wait until you put brace on car? Week?
Old 07-17-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
ntmad8tr
Music City Camaro Club

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Spring Special Edition
I had mine painted by River Cities Creations and Lighting. They did a fantastic job.
EMC(SS) USN RET. 2014 2SS Spring Special Edition,1 of 293. Cold Air Inc. CAI,Apex Catch Can, Kooks 1-7/8" headers, Kooks HF Cats, X-pipe, Kooks mufflers,Graphite, BMR Toe links, BMR rear trailing arms, MRR228s,RGB ORACLE Colorshift Halos, RGB LED Engine bay and Grille lighting, Diode Dynamics RGB Fog Lights. NightOwl LED control system. Painted engine cover by S.L. Customs. River Cities Creations painted strut brace. My Build Thread
ntmad8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #10
Michaels2011

I waited at least the minimum required on the paint can. It wasn't a 2 or 3 day paint job…
Patience pays off tho….

Old 07-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #11
BLTZKRG

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Looking excellent guys....cant wait til my 1LE brace arrives so i can do my own. Thinking shades of black or a gun metal color since car is Ashen Grey.

CAGS Skip-Shift Eliminator
1LE Strut Tower Brace
GMPP Track Pack Axleback
Halltech CAI
Fuse Pull Mod
BLTZKRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:37 PM   #12
Ksmoke

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT/RS
When it was bare metal I lightly sanded with each level of sand paper. Mine had a few scuffs that wouldn't wash off so I used the sand paper to clean it up. Pretty much just used whatever level was needed to get the brace smoothed out. ( mine came shipped horribly) After priming I started with 800 and finished with 1000 to have a smooth finish. Primer I waited 10 - 15 minutes between coat (per directions on can). I used two different paints for color choices but each can recommended 15 minutes between coats.
I did mine over 2/3 days purely because I had odd hours for work. If your doing 1 color you could probably get it done in a day if you start in the am. I let the color painted parts dry over night before taping them off to do a different color.

Here's a pic. Gloss black on the ends, Ashen gray in the center.
Ksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote