Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-07-2017, 10:17 AM   #15
OlePhu
Oldskool

Drives: 2013 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzark99 View Post
^lots of incorrect info in that thread. Please look at post #43 in my signature link below. I also ran a green filter before I got the CAI, and it worked good. JacFab tested all drop in filters, and there are better brands than Green. Search.
Thanks, I just posted that site as an FYI on an air scoop. Also, I looked at the JacFab thread a few days ago but no charts came up so I couldn't figure out what he was referring to. Went back today in a different browser and, voila! ... charts. Wonder what else I've been missing. lol My takeaway is that the green has better airflow but maybe doesn't filter as well? The S&B rates well for both airflow and filtration but nothing for a 2013 Camaro stock replacement. Oh well, either Green or K+N I guess if I'm going that route.

Btw, I started to go through your mods ... you've got way too much time on your hands...but it lookin' good
OlePhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #16
OlePhu
Oldskool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Nasty View Post
Yeah the LFX has a more square type of MAF housing as oppose to the LLT having a oval type. So it wouldn't fit. But I've seen quite a few intakes go through the market place so just keep checking (unless you decide not on getting it used) 👍. Last thing I'll say when I was considering the CAI inc was that it was insulated where the filter sat and had a lid to keep the hot engine air out. My intake also came with the ADM air scoop that helped direct air into the intake which I believe made a difference.

A catch can is a must and I would recommend Elite. I also thought about the VTC, but getting the hptune and 80mm TB really helped my theottle response and lag. So I didn't "need" a VTC.
I did notice the insulation on the CAI and it makes sense as does the air scoop. Too bad about the MAF not fitting though.

I've been looking at the Elite's Standard and E2. Not sure there's much difference between them, other than port location. I'll have to give them a call but that's at the top of my list.

Thank you
Old 04-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #17
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
I would just wait and buy a used CAI if it pops up in the classified section

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #18
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlePhu View Post
I did notice the insulation on the CAI and it makes sense as does the air scoop. Too bad about the MAF not fitting though.

I've been looking at the Elite's Standard and E2. Not sure there's much difference between them, other than port location. I'll have to give them a call but that's at the top of my list.

Thank you
Yeah that particular one won't but im sure a LFX CAI inc or other one will pop up eventually.

If you're going to stay N/A, then just get the standard.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:04 PM   #19
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
I have a Cold Air Inductions, and this winter I was generally seeing a 12 degree difference between the intake air temperature and the outside temperature when I'm sitting idle. As I start moving, the intake temp will then drop down closer to the outside temperature... which tells me that some of the warm engine air does indeed make it into the box. I use Dash Command to read the intake temp being reported to the ECM, and then the outside air temp is displayed on my MyLink screen.
Jazzzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:42 PM   #20
OlePhu
Oldskool

Quote:
Yeah that particular one won't but im sure a LFX CAI inc or other one will pop up eventually.

If you're going to stay N/A, then just get the standard.
Yep, I'll keep an eye on it.

I tried calling Elite 4 times today but only got the option to leave a message so I emailed them. No response there either. May have to look at other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzzed View Post
I have a Cold Air Inductions, and this winter I was generally seeing a 12 degree difference between the intake air temperature and the outside temperature when I'm sitting idle. As I start moving, the intake temp will then drop down closer to the outside temperature... which tells me that some of the warm engine air does indeed make it into the box. I use Dash Command to read the intake temp being reported to the ECM, and then the outside air temp is displayed on my MyLink screen.
Thanks Jazzzed, I would think that CAI would still be a better option than something just hanging in the open. We'll see.

Last edited by OlePhu; 04-08-2017 at 06:16 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:42 PM   #21
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlePhu View Post
Yep, I'll keep an eye on it.

I tried calling Elite 4 times today but only got the option to leave a message so I emailed them. No response there either. May have to look at other options.

Yeah honestly, when I call (whether it was my first elite can in 2013, to when I have called them a few times since then), I never get someone on the line...which is irritating. I emailed Steve at elite last week and got a response the next day.

I bought my elite from JDP motorsports (i believe they offer other options) but they are very knowledgable about them.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:21 PM   #22
DokWatson
Dok

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS M6
I don't think its worth 400$. Its a straight tube with a boot on one end and an air filter on the other. That's why I bought a Spectre CAI, they're priced accordingly.
DokWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #23
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DokWatson View Post
I don't think its worth 400$. Its a straight tube with a boot on one end and an air filter on the other. That's why I bought a Spectre CAI, they're priced accordingly.
Dok's right, 400 is pretty pricey. I had to bite my lip to go 269 for my typhoon. Hell you can get half the gain from a drop in hi flow filter in your stock air box for $50. So is 5-7hp, which you can't even feel, worth $350? It's only money, spend it on what you want, that's why you work, to get the things you want. Right?
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:47 PM   #24
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
I went a totally different route. I wanted something that looked stock and wanted to maintain the best filtration without sacrificing the sound and airflow. CAI are no doubt well made and when it comes to oiled cotton filtering, it's probably the best in that category. For me, I decided to go with the Volant kit with Donaldson Power Core Dry Filter. It has a stock look and the technology behind the Donaldson filter is incredible. It is the same filter used on some of the C5 corvettes. It has high flow, yet filters better than the stock panel filter. Read-up on them on the Donaldson webs site (Power-Core 2 Filters). As far as the quality of the Volant kit, it's probably more in the B range. I wasn't happy with the mounting for the MAF sensor. Had to use shorter, non-supplied, screws to keep the mounting screws from popping through the intake tube. Bad engineering. The filter doesn't have to be replaced for 50-100k miles. You can blow out the dirt but then they don't warrant the filter anymore. Price was in the $260 range and it does have a more stock look to it. You can see it in my pics.
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:52 AM   #25
ShadowYYZ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT Deep Magenta
Quote:
Yeah honestly, when I call (whether it was my first elite can in 2013, to when I have called them a few times since then), I never get someone on the line...which is irritating. I emailed Steve at elite last week and got a response the next day.

I bought my elite from JDP motorsports (i believe they offer other options) but they are very knowledgable about them.
What catch can would you recommend for a 14 lfx v6?

Also, i had recently a new engine installed :/ last one had oil.. -_____- mixed with coolant...

i didn't have a can then..

Now since im starting fresh.. i need to add.. im at 34k miles
ShadowYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:23 AM   #26
sspade

Drives: 2015 Camaro LFX A6
Elite Engineering. Quality product that works.
Cold Air Inductions CAI : Apex Air Scoop / WW Relocate Kit : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill Tuned : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : ZL1 Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : JPSS Caster Locks : JPSS 32mm Rear Sway Bar : JPSS Billet Radius Arm Bushings : Pegasus Solid Sub Frame Bushings : 1LE Brembo Conversion : B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
sspade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:40 PM   #27
IamR3D88

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzark99 View Post
It's a waste of money. No sound or performance difference, until you add the race air scoop. Save your money for a mod that produces real results: hi-flo cats.
What intake did you get?

I didn't expect a sound change with an intake, thats ehat exhaust is for, but holy crap was I wrong!

The CAI unit is almost the same sound at lower loads and RPM, but a TON louder when you get on it. As one friend put it, my cars sound now matches the looks.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
IamR3D88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:31 PM   #28
OlePhu
Oldskool

Okay, good reads, I appreciate it. I did order the Elite E2 with one intake from JDP but when I got it, it had the wrong bracket. I'm not impressed with JDP's knowledge on the Elite but Kayla did finally order it with the L bracket...however Elite sent it with the hockey style bracket. I called JDP but didn't get a call back so I contacted Elite and they're sending out the correct bracket. We'll see how it goes but the unit is heavier than I expected and you won't find the design quality in an Ebay unit. I may even put a clear fuel filter inline on the clean side just to see if anything gets through.

I'm still looking for a CAInductions but in the meantime, I got an airaid intake tube to get rid of the hemorrhoid on the side of the stock intake so I would have room for the Elite. The problem is that the Airaid intake I ordered from CarID butts up to the overflow tube(?) on the radiator and that's with 1/2" taken off the rubber fitting that goes into the TB so that kind of negates any advantage I was hoping for.

And, something else I didn't know, is that it got drop shipped from Airaid, not CarID, and I got another package the same day for someone in NY with an invoice from K&N for a Spectre filter so are Airaid, K&N and Spectre affiliated? I can only assume that someone else placed an order through CarID and didn't get their items. In any case, I won't be using either of them. I'm holding out for a Cold Air Induction that a) someone has for sale or b) I have some extra money for the CAI.

I tend to go top tier on most stuff I do and I can't see why this would be different. Granted, I got a basic Camaro ... but that allows me to mod it as I see fit. Unfortunately, I keep coming back to this site and picking up new ideas so I don't see the mods ending soon.

Tags
cai, cold air induction