Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #15
Tallboy
Say "when"...

Drives: 11 2LT
Maybe a "weak" coil that isn't sending quite enough current out?
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #16
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Randy, is it a low RPM stumble, like mild acceleration occasionally at low rpm. I get it occasionally when cruising around with everything at operating temps... like cruising down the highway a say 65 in 6th gear, 1500 rpm, and speed up a little... it occasionally stumbles, very minor, but noticable...

If you have new plugs and you know they are all good, then next is the wires, and as mentioned, the coils... New plugs and wires do not always mean good plugs and wires... Factory defects do occasionally happen...

What plugs are you running... The colder the plugs, the more likely they are to carbon up... I have a spot where I can run mine in sustained boost long enough to heat the plugs to a point where the carbon burns off... It helps quite a bit, and at my A/F ratio, they carbon up pretty quickly...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #17
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Randy, is a low RPM stumble, like mild acceleration occasionally at low rpm. I get it occasionally when cruising around with everything at operating temps... like cruising down the highway a say 65 in 6th gear, 1500 rpm, and speed up a little... it occasionally stumbles, very minor, but noticable...

If you have new plugs and you know they are all good, then next is the wires, and as mentioned, the coils... New plugs and wires do not always mean good plugs and wires... Factory defects do occasionally happen...

What plugs are you running... The colder the plugs, the more likely they are to carbon up... I have a spot where I can run mine in sustained boost long enough to heat the plugs to a point where the carbon burns off... It helps quite a bit, and at my A/F ratio, they carbon up pretty quickly...

He's got brand new NGK TR6's
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #18
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
He's got brand new NGK TR6's
Here is a little info on spark plug temps and why problems occur... Randy, ad you getting to run the car at full boost for any length of time to actually ensure the carbon is burning off properly... I know Maggie recommends these plugs, but in a car daily driven in traffic, they may be one rating to cold... If you cant run it hard enough to burn the carbon off, you will likely continue to foul plugs.. IF that is what is happeneing...

NGK Spark Plugs Heat Rating
The spark plug heat range has no relationship to the electrical energy transferred through the spark plug. The heat range of a spark plug is the range in which the plug works well thermally. The heat rating of each NGK spark plug is indicated by a number; lower numbers indicate a hotter type, higher numbers indicate a colder type.
Heat rating and heat flow path of NGK Spark Plugs

Some basic structural factors affecting the heat range of a spark plug are:
  • Surface area and/or length of the insulator nose
  • Thermal conductivity of the insulator, center electrode, etc.
  • Structure of the center electrode such as a copper core, etc.
  • Relative position of the insulator tip to the end of the shell (projection)
The major structural difference affecting the heat rating is the length of the insulator nose. A hot type spark plug has a longer insulator nose. The insulator nose of a hotter spark plug has a longer distance between the firing tip of the insulator, and the point where insulator meets the metal shell. Therefore, the path for the dissipation of heat from the insulator nose to the cylinder head is longer and the firing end stays hotter. The insulator nose of a hotter spark plug also has a greater surface area that is exposed to more of the ignited gases and is easily heated to higher temperatures. A colder spark plug functions in an opposite manner.
The heat range must be carefully selected for proper spark plug thermal performance. If the heat range is not optimal, then serious trouble can be the result. The optimal firing end temperature is approximately between 500°C (932°F) and 800°C (1472°F). The two most common causes of spark plug problems are carbon fouling (< 450°C) and overheating (> 800°C).

Causes of Carbon Fouling:
  • Continuous low speed driving and/or short trips
  • Spark plug heat range too cold
  • Air-fuel mixture too rich
  • Reduced compression and oil usage due to worn piston rings / cylinder walls
  • Over-retarded ignition timing
  • Ignition system deterioration
Pre-delivery fouling

Carbon fouling occurs when the spark plug firing end does not reach the self-cleaning temperature of approximately 450°C (842°F). Carbon deposits will begin to burn off from the insulator nose when the self-cleaning temperature is reached. When the heat range is too cold for the engine speed, the firing end temperature will stay below 450°C and carbon deposits will accumulate on the insulator nose. This is called carbon fouling. When enough carbon accumulates, the spark will travel the path of least resistance over the insulator nose to the metal shell instead of jumping across the gap. This usually results in a misfire and further fouling.

If the selected spark plug heat range is too cold, the spark plug may begin to foul when the engine speed is low or when operating in cold conditions with rich air-fuel mixtures. In some cases, the insulator nose can usually be cleaned by operating the engine at higher speeds in order to reach the self-cleaning temperature. If the spark plug has completely fouled, and the engine will not operate correctly, the spark plug may need to be cleaned / replaced and the fouling cause identified.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 05-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #19
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Video loading now.....

Quote:
so you are hearing a miss that isnt showing. does the scanner let you see any knock retard or spark advance? Yes.

go warm the car up and video tape it idling for me. send it to my phone or youtube it. just dont get too close to the exhaust and ruin the sound quality. Video uploading.

then you are going to move across the street from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
Maybe a "weak" coil that isn't sending quite enough current out?
That would manifest it's self more driving. At idle it should be fine. I'll have them check when I take it.

Quote:
Here is a little info on spark plug temps and why problems occur... Randy, ad you getting to run the car at full boost for any length of time to actually ensure the carbon is burning off properly... I know Maggie recommends these plugs, but in a car daily driven in traffic, they may be one rating to cold... If you cant run it hard enough to burn the carbon off, you will likely continue to foul plugs.. IF that is what is happeneing...

NGK Spark Plugs Heat Rating
The spark plug heat range has no relationship to the electrical energy transferred through the spark plug. The heat range of a spark plug is the range in which the plug works well thermally. The heat rating of each NGK spark plug is indicated by a number; lower numbers indicate a hotter type, higher numbers indicate a colder type.
Heat rating and heat flow path of NGK Spark Plugs
It was still doing it with brand new plugs right away. The problem began as soon as I installed the blower. only thing in the firing line I changed were the injectors. And it was a used blower. So I was gonna run some injector cleaner through.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #20
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
The problem began as soon as I installed the blower.
there's your problem...
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #21
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Video loading now.....

That would manifest it's self more driving. At idle it should be fine. I'll have them check when I take it.

It was still doing it with brand new plugs right away. The problem began as soon as I installed the blower. only thing in the firing line I changed were the injectors. And it was a used blower. So I was gonna run some injector cleaner through.
Beyond that, you've run me out of ideas... Good Luck... Is there any way to send a data log to Owen, or to Ted... see if there is anything they can pick up on...

Old 05-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #22
Tallboy
Say "when"...

Drives: 11 2LT
Maybe a weak coil is causing a plug to foul out and subsequently mis-fire? Maybe that's why it moved from number 6 to number 1? If that #6 coil is weak, it'll keep fouling that plug.

Just a thought.
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #23
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Beyond that, you've run me out of ideas... Good Luck... Is there any way to send a data log to Owen, or to Ted... see if there is anything they can pick up on...
Ted has seen a datalog. One of the things I gotta have a shop check once I get it to one is a compression and leakdown test. I already know there is nothing internaly wrong. At least I'd be seriously surprized. It started the moment the blower was installed.

Quote:
there's your problem...
Old 05-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #24
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
Maybe a weak coil is causing a plug to foul out and subsequently mis-fire? Maybe that's why it moved from number 6 to number 1? If that #6 coil is weak, it'll keep fouling that plug.

Just a thought.
No. I bought 8 brand new spark plugs. One of them was bad. Once I replaced it it was back to the normal miss.

When the bad plug was in it was EASY to tell. AND easy to find the cylinder.

But the plugs that came out were not fouled at all. And the brand new ones (once I replaced the bad brand new one) didn't fix the miss.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #25
stanwilliams
3000 hp 648 ci beast

Drives: 86 Outlaw 10.5 Camaro, 2SS/RS LS3
Put the stock injectors back in and the stock tune. Don't drive it under boost of coarse but it should be able to idle clean if its not another problem.

mods: ******** setup. Whipple supercharger....Need suspension upgrades now... 4" stroker kit, ARH, cam on my wish list.
stanwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #26
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:

Ted has seen a datalog. One of the things I gotta have a shop check once I get it to one is a compression and leakdown test. I already know there is nothing internaly wrong. At least I'd be seriously surprized. It started the moment the blower was installed.

Bro, freaking insane... I understand,,, crazy thing is mine idles just like that... but I attributed it to the cam... and there is no miss...at least not in mine... I do occasionally somewhat foul a plug, but a good hard run at sustained boost seems to cure it... I really hope you can get this figured out...

Do you have the factory cam, I'm sorry I forgot...

Old 05-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #27
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
I am crushed that you didn't call me.... after all we have been through :'(
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #28
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
yeah, he has stock cam