Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
orbs

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS
Question Zune Bug

Hi. This is for any GM/Chevy employees. First of all, I love my Camaro! Great job on this car. I've never owned a car before (I leased my previous and first car - another Chevy) and so far I'm quite happy.

The reason I'm posting is that I have an 80 GB Zune, which has about 30 GB of music on it. When my car indexes my Zune, it only gets music that begins with the letters "A" through "M", and music which start with numbers.

According to my dealership, this is because the Zune indexing takes more space than the iPod or generic USB Drive indexing. I work in software so I'm not entirely sure why that would be, but regardless, it seems to be the case.

My question is, are there any efforts being made to expand this limit? I love the Zune integration but I can't use it if half my music is unavailable.

I subscribe to Zune pass and the music is not compatible with other devices, so getting an iPod is not an option unfortunately.

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Jared
orbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
Dano

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
How many songs is in your A-M catalog. The PDMI software will only index 2500 songs and that is for everything, thumb drive, Ipod or Zune. Just a thought, you might want to check on how many songs you have.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Since we're on the subject already, is this independent of playlists? So if he had a playlist with songs starting with "Z" they wouldn't be found?
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
codeman71
GM Employee

Drives: 2006 Pontiac G6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
How many songs is in your A-M catalog. The PDMI software will only index 2500 songs and that is for everything, thumb drive, Ipod or Zune. Just a thought, you might want to check on how many songs you have.
That's close but not quite accurate. iPods do not have an indexing limit because they handle the indexing on their own, so there's no limit to the number of songs an iPod can have. The limit is only for devices which do not index themselves - Zune, USB, PlaysForSure devices, etc. Yeah it's a huge bummer and unfortunately I don't think it will be able to be fixed anytime soon.

So, if you have that much content, the only way to access it all would be on separate memory sticks that have 2500 songs or less on each, or else using an iPod. I know it sucks and I don't like it either, but unfortunately that's what it is...

Check out my videos on YouTube here. Let me know if you'd like to see any other type of video.
codeman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
orbs

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS
That explains it

I have more than 2500 songs between #'s and A-M. That makes sense. Is it possible to expand the limit beyond 2500? I LOVE the interface and don't want to give it up but since my music is from Zune Pass, I can't transfer it to an iPod unfortunately (it's not MP3).
orbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Sounds like a rather odd limitation, sadly I have 4000+songs on my 120gb zune =(
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
diV6

Drives: 94 camaro z28
I have an 80gb zune with about 30gigs of music on it too, a little over 5k in songs. I havnt got a 5th gen yet, but this is something i have been looking into.

It looks like you have 4 no so great options-

1- accept that only the first 2500 of your songs will be recognized through usb
2- pick your favorite 2500 and put them only on you zune, connect through usb
3- leave it all on, connect through the aux, and control through the zune
4- separate the mp3 and drm-wma. if this brings the drm-wma count to under 2500, put those on the zune, put the rest on a flash drive, and switch them out from the usb connector as you wish.

This is what i have learned from this board. If i have got anything wrong, i am sure someone will correct me.

BTW, the next gen zune will be flashed based. this means 16gb and 32gb capacities only at first, followed up a few months later with a 64. I am probably going to get the 32gb. 2500 songs is about 15 gigs. I plan to only put 15 gigs of music on there, with 15 gigs of movies, and the rest filled with pictures, games, podcasts, audiobooks. This will still allow me to fill up my zune, and have access to all the music on it when connected, though my whole library wont be on the zune. So if your planning on upgrading to the next gen when it comes out, this may become a moot issue unless you want to fill it all up with music only.
diV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:12 PM   #8
Silver Surfer

Drives: 2LT/RS SIM
what about the new zune that comes out this Sept.. the zune hd...
do u think it will have the same problem??? cuz thats the one im waiting on 2 buy
Silver Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:07 PM   #9
thecamaroguy

Drives: 2020 ZLE 67 SS350
That device looks AMAZING!
thecamaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:17 PM   #10
skipj3
Go Gators Baby!!!

Drives: '11 2SS M6
does any one have a problem with their zune locking up while connected to the camaro? my zune will lock up atleast once a week. im curious if its going to lock up while connected to the car.

The Department of Redundancy Department
skipj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:59 PM   #11
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by diV6 View Post
I have an 80gb zune with about 30gigs of music on it too, a little over 5k in songs. I havnt got a 5th gen yet, but this is something i have been looking into.

It looks like you have 4 no so great options-

1- accept that only the first 2500 of your songs will be recognized through usb
2- pick your favorite 2500 and put them only on you zune, connect through usb
3- leave it all on, connect through the aux, and control through the zune
4- separate the mp3 and drm-wma. if this brings the drm-wma count to under 2500, put those on the zune, put the rest on a flash drive, and switch them out from the usb connector as you wish.

This is what i have learned from this board. If i have got anything wrong, i am sure someone will correct me.

BTW, the next gen zune will be flashed based. this means 16gb and 32gb capacities only at first, followed up a few months later with a 64. I am probably going to get the 32gb. 2500 songs is about 15 gigs. I plan to only put 15 gigs of music on there, with 15 gigs of movies, and the rest filled with pictures, games, podcasts, audiobooks. This will still allow me to fill up my zune, and have access to all the music on it when connected, though my whole library wont be on the zune. So if your planning on upgrading to the next gen when it comes out, this may become a moot issue unless you want to fill it all up with music only.
Good summary but #4 is a lackluster option as it would have to reindex each time you switch. :( I'm considering picking up an older (but still supported) iPod as it's the only thing that can hold all my music.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:59 PM   #12
J WALK

Drives: RJT 1LT Sunroof
My Zune will not work at all. Same problem that has been reported by others. It worked once and that was it. This is a great car still. You can still use your Zune with the deal under the USB port.
J WALK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #13
Dano

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman71 View Post
That's close but not quite accurate. iPods do not have an indexing limit because they handle the indexing on their own, so there's no limit to the number of songs an iPod can have. The limit is only for devices which do not index themselves - Zune, USB, PlaysForSure devices, etc. Yeah it's a huge bummer and unfortunately I don't think it will be able to be fixed anytime soon.

So, if you have that much content, the only way to access it all would be on separate memory sticks that have 2500 songs or less on each, or else using an iPod. I know it sucks and I don't like it either, but unfortunately that's what it is...
Thanks for clearing that up. That is what I had already gathered from the board, but I haven't really had time to try it out in my car yet. I will be back next week and will try my Ipod and Zune and see how everything works. This was one of the features that I really like about the Camaro.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:20 AM   #14
codeman71
GM Employee

Drives: 2006 Pontiac G6
Quote:
Originally Posted by J WALK View Post
My Zune will not work at all. Same problem that has been reported by others. It worked once and that was it. This is a great car still. You can still use your Zune with the deal under the USB port.
Sorry you're having problems. It should fix itself after you disconnect the Zune and turn the car off and open the door. That completely turns off the radio and lets things reset. The software update that's out now should fix the problem that you're having. If you go to your dealer they should be able to help you get your PDIM updated.

Check out my videos on YouTube here. Let me know if you'd like to see any other type of video.
codeman71 is offline   Reply With Quote