Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-16-2016, 12:14 PM   #1
SSNYSTR

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2SS
Reduced Engine Power

I searched, but didn't get too clear of an answer, so I'll start another thread. Last night I drove about a mile, pulled over and sat there(car idling) for about 15-20 minutes I would guess. Continued back on the road and after about half a mile or so, I got the check engine light and message for "reduced engine power". Started my car again today, and the check engine light is still on. The message for reduced engine power did not show today. My car seemed to drive just fine. And yes I do have a PTB and throttle controller, but they've been on my car for well over a year and a half so I do not think they have anything to do with that. I do have NoWeeds that were open, idk if it would have anything to do with that? They have also been on my car from quite some time.
SSNYSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:44 PM   #2
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
I recommend checking all the usual suspects. Check oil, check connections to air box/ intake. Then after that i would check plugs. If you have LT headers are they leaking?
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:46 PM   #3
krisprz2010camaross

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/Rs Transformers
I'm highly certain is the throttle controller. Unplug it and see if helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vararam intake(tune model)
Kooks LT headers & cats delete
Corsa ZL1 3" exhaust
RedBarn Racing Tune
CMS Stage 3 Cam
AFR CNC ported heads
MSD Spark plug wires
LNC-2000 Launch controller
NGK TR6 Spark Plugs
1le strut tower brace-TPIS spacers
Nick Williams 102mm throttle body
Fast lsxr 102 intake manifold
Slp 25% UDP
Katech Tensioner Pulley
Circle D 3600-3700 multi disk Stall
GM 3.91 gears
DDS carbon fiber driveshaft
ZL1 fuel pump & injectors
Flex fuel sensor(91/E85)
https://wheelwell.com/kris-perez
krisprz2010camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:54 PM   #4
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
MIL will go off on it's own, or you can get a code reader from parts store and clear it.

TC may do this from time to time. Been a year since mine did it last. When it happens, just recalibrate. You can do it now if you wish, or wait and see if it does it again. It's no big deal.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:27 PM   #5
SSNYSTR

I have a cold air intake, so it's not the air box. How can I tell if my headers are leaking? I run open headers with no cats, so it's always having that smell.

I've been having my throttle controller for over a year and a half. This is the first time it happens to me. I'm not sure why it would just randomly do it.

I'll have to recalibrate it. It's never happened before, so hopefully all is okay.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:01 PM   #6
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
After some research I see some others have the same issue with throttle controller. They all re calibrated it and unplugged the car battery to reset the computer and MIL. As for checking leaking headers i use soapy water. You'll see bubbles forming around the leak.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:35 PM   #7
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNYSTR View Post
I searched, but didn't get too clear of an answer, so I'll start another thread. Last night I drove about a mile, pulled over and sat there(car idling) for about 15-20 minutes I would guess. Continued back on the road and after about half a mile or so, I got the check engine light and message for "reduced engine power". Started my car again today, and the check engine light is still on. The message for reduced engine power did not show today. My car seemed to drive just fine. And yes I do have a PTB and throttle controller, but they've been on my car for well over a year and a half so I do not think they have anything to do with that. I do have NoWeeds that were open, idk if it would have anything to do with that? They have also been on my car from quite some time.
This just happened to....one of my JBA spark plug wires had made contact with one if the headers. Burnt it a bit and did go into reduced power and the whole deal, Moved the wire off the header. Had to disconnect the battery to reset the cell.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:07 PM   #8
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Of course, the easiest way to check it out is to see what the trouble code is. I'm betting 2138, which is throttle position, common with TC.

If you think you have an exhaust leak, get a piece of vacuum hose, one end yo your ear and move the other end around the manifold, and connection areas. This is if the code is emission related.

If it's a misfire code, then check the plugs and wires.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:48 PM   #9
Mortious
Ammo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3 M6)
Everyone should have a code reader, they are super cheap and easy to use, and you have an idea of what is wrong before having to have your blinker fluid changed, or finding out your muffler bearings have gone out and need replaced.

Plus it helps when you post a "help me" post.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:06 AM   #10
SSNYSTR

Well, all is okay on the drive to work this morning. No more CEL, but it was there last night. Not sure what happened.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:49 AM   #11
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNYSTR View Post
. And yes I do have a PTB and throttle controller
That's your problem. That combination works for some, but not all. Take the throttle controller off.
jeff657756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:58 AM   #12
SSNYSTR

Well...got the notification again this morning on my way to work. Couldn't go above 2,200 RPM. Y'all are saying it's the throttle controller, well why is it just now happening after having both the throttle body and throttle controller installed for a year and 7 months?
Old 11-01-2016, 07:40 AM   #13
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Did you run a code scan? You computer is telling you something there, so you have to run a code scan. Why guess and chase your tail? Get the code and go from there.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:52 AM   #14
bleavens1962

Drives: 2014 1LS Camaro
First thought was the VTC, if you remove it for a few days and no other CEL's occur, that would most likely be the culprit. Removed mine a little over a year ago after being installed for 6 months when it began to go into reduced power and CEL's at least once a week. Cleared up the problem immediately
bleavens1962 is offline   Reply With Quote