Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #4299
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600hp-lpe View Post
Hey all... have you checked out Speedster's SST build (COTW on the homepage?)... it is incredible!!!

Lots of detailed pic's through the build process. Absolute first rate work!
It is definitely one sweet build!!!

2.55 Upper / 8.6 Lower / ID850's / Kooks Longtubes / New Era CAI
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #4300
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Hey Pete (or anyone else that knows),

If I add a roll cage (NHRA certified for 8.50 1/4 times)
how will that change the chassis dynamics for my autocross racing?
looking to make the Camaro multi-purpose (autox, track, and drag capable). Will it help or hurt cornering ability if the chassis is stiffer from the cage?

Probably going to upgrade I.E.: bulletproof the rear end/driveshaft etc. as well over the winter.

I got a price at Dan Page race cars for installing the cage... it was pretty reasonable. They build Top alcohol dragster chassis and special "custom" work like I want. I'll take out the interior, they will re-install the dash, headliner, and rear speaker panel. then the interior will go back in.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #4301
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Hey Pete (or anyone else that knows),

If I add a roll cage (NHRA certified for 8.50 1/4 times)
how will that change the chassis dynamics for my autocross racing?
looking to make the Camaro multi-purpose (autox, track, and drag capable). Will it help or hurt cornering ability if the chassis is stiffer from the cage?

Probably going to upgrade I.E.: bulletproof the rear end/driveshaft etc. as well over the winter.

I got a price at Dan Page race cars for installing the cage... it was pretty reasonable. They build Top alcohol dragster chassis and special "custom" work like I want. I'll take out the interior, they will re-install the dash, headliner, and rear speaker panel. then the interior will go back in.
Really good question.

You know how strongly I feel that the 5th Gen is exceptionally well built monocoque. There isn't much to gain in terms of handling from added 'chassis' strength. That said, adding a cage will make it stronger, especially if the cage ties in closely to the mounting areas for the sub-frame. As you increase the strength of the monocoque with the cage you will find it is almost as though you increased the spring and damping rates. On an old F body the increase would have been night and day. On the 5th Gen there will be an incremental difference, but nothing like the F body analogy. The biggest concern I have is weight. We are already fighting with 2 tons of LPE / Chevy Muscle. If there is any way to remove the amount of weight the cage will add you should find an incremental gain. This is especially true with your Supercar coilovers. You will be able to adjust them to the new harmonics of the altered 5th Gen chassis.

Bottom line: Adding a cage to improve handling is neutral or counterproductive on anything but a race car because the 5th Gen is so well built and weight reduction is more important to handling at the extreme. Since you need a cage to run that beast on the strip we add the cage, but keep it as light as possible.

How much weight will the cage add?

Btw, a really good five point harness that allows you to really strap in well may make you faster on the autocross than any other mod at this point. Make sure your cage has a should level mounting area for your new shoulder harness
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #4302
600hp-lpe

My car weighed 3865 lbs all fluids in it without driver.

a 12 point 4130 roll cage will weigh about 65 - 80 lbs. 1 5/8 X .86 diameter tubing is 1.3 lbs per foot. 45 to 55 feet required + mounting plates & corner gussets.

A 12 point cage will tie to the front shock towers, and go all the way to the rear with the down tubes on top of where the the rear cradle is attached.

Yes, that is my main reason for installing a cage. Going to swap the seats for lightweight Corbeau VX2000 seats, and good 6 point harness seatbelts. The stock seats have to be pretty heavy. should help balance out most of the weight of adding the cage.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #4303
JusticePete

With the seat swap you'll reduce weight and gain a more stable seating position. You are going to be faster set up that way.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #4304
600hp-lpe

yup... I am moving around in the seat so much right now by the end of a long weekend's events, my left knee will have an imprint and i'll be limping from the door latch digging into it.

I know that is costing me time trying to stay put.. the stock seatbelt/lap belt with a CG lock helps but doesn't do squat at keeping me put at the side loads I am obtaining. I wind up trying to concentrate on keeping me from moving instead of concentrating 100% of what is in my vision in front of me.

I am looking forward to my next event on Sept. 26th to see the difference the supercar's make. The ride on the street is improved dramatically. They should help a LOT on the autocross track - there's no way they can't help improve times. The car will be more stable in the quick transitions - I can tell already.

Hey Pete, what was the delta in time from the XA's to the Supercar's on Gingerman? did you improve by 4 seconds or more with the Camaro, or is it still super secret for a few more weeks?

I have the shop time for the Roll cage/seats/harnesses reserved - 2nd week in January is when that winter project will start. I forwarded pic's from Speedster's roll cage install and told them I wanted that style/quality job. It's one of the best installed cages I have seen.

Dan Page Race cars out of Hampstead NH is doing the work. They are a first class welding/fabrication shop that specializes in Top Alcohol Dragster chassis and custom work on high end drag cars. I have used them a few times - they always impress me with their attention to detail.

I am having them fabricate an Aluminum box / ducting for the Revolution hood scoop to push all the air from the hood scoop to the CAI.

If I have a good end of the year, I will also have them fabricate a 9" ford sheet metal rear while it is in the shop. As the Hendrix unit is $6k without the 3rd member, I can get a custom built rear done for less money that will be much stronger. From the pictures I saw, there is no internal or external bracing on the hendrix 9" housing. Drag racing tought me that the internal webbing is required, or the 3rd member will weaken the housing. The back brace isn't needed on the housing as there aren't any axle tubes to stiffen.

I bet Speed would be able to punish the hendrix rear end unit into submission if he tried... it's stronger than the stock rear, but not up to where I would expect a rear end to be for the price.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #4305
JusticePete

Without divulging the time we picked up a second which is huge for a car that was already dialed in. We did lose RWHP from a cool almost cold day to a hot and humid day. That could easily account for .25 seconds or more. Then there was the rear brake pad issue which cost us perhaps another .25 seconds.

When you think about it over a twenty lap race a second become 20 seconds. even .25 seconds equates to 4 seconds and a 4 second victory is impressive. Then again, any victory is impressive.

Think how happy your knee is going to be with your new belt!
Old 09-16-2010, 07:40 PM   #4306
600hp-lpe

hey... best part is I already have approval from the wife for the next round of MODS to occur...

Yes, I will be extremely happy to be planted in the Drivers seat like a tree in the ground.
That'll allow me to pick up some time as I can push it harder than I have been able to.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #4307
600hp-lpe

MWS, did you get the rear RB rotors yet? Are they installed?

Are you buried up to your neck in Pecans?
Old 09-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #4308
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
Quote:

I bet Speed would be able to punish the hendrix rear end unit into submission if he tried... it's stronger than the stock rear, but not up to where I would expect a rear end to be for the price.
I am going to put mine to the test tomorrow at the drag strip Every time I drive my car, I like the 3.70 gears more and more

Nice list of additional mods also - just when I thought you couldn't do much more I hope everything comes together.

2.55 Upper / 8.6 Lower / ID850's / Kooks Longtubes / New Era CAI
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #4309
JusticePete

600hp-lpe did you get your pecans in the mail? I know I didn't.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #4310
600hp-lpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
600hp-lpe did you get your pecans in the mail? I know I didn't.

Mws must be buried up to his armpits by now .. he's been pretty quiet on here last couple of days... After all, I do believe it is pecan harvest season.

nope..no Yummy, fresh pecans here.

I have some store bought Pecan rolls I'd be glad to share with you Pete... not sure how they will come out on the other side of a UPS truck ride. Our luck the drug sniffin' dog will probably get a whiff and tear into the package if I try to ship one out to you..
Old 09-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #4311
paul2010

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1278
600 that will be awesome I think I might do a roll cage too! It's very hard to ever say that's it the mods are finished.

MWS I never got any pecans either WTH!!

Speed make sure you post up your times! The gears grew on me and felt like GM should have an option for those 3.70s.

Hi Pete is it getting colder up there???
2012 ZL1 #1278

2010 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
2011 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
paul2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #4312
mws444

Drives: 701 RWHP Lingenfelter/Pedders Beast
Quote:
MWS, did you get the rear RB rotors yet? Are they installed?

Are you buried up to your neck in Pecans?
Arrived late yesterday, I will get them on in the morning and give them a proper shake down.
They are a wicked nice looking part, very light and I think the steel emergency brake liner will do just fine.
I plan on working them up from 50 mph emergency stops on up to 90 mph. I figure if they are good enough to stop our heavy beasts from 90 they are plenty safe enough.
I will allow for about 30 minute cool downs to make sure the steel insert dosent spin in the aluniminum hat. So if things go as planned they should start shipping on Monday!

Pecans are still about 2 weeks away
But we have been very busy getting the plant ready. The food industry is moving to a new saftey standard called SQF, thing is absolutely insane.
I sell to Kraft foods and about every other major food manufacture out there, they are all insisting on it. We are talking goofy things like even our paint on non food contact surfaces has to be USDA approved for use. I have spent a fortune stripping and repainting everything in the plant. Hell even our pens have to be metal detectable.
My QC staff used to be three people, now with all of the new paperwork and proceedures we are up to 10.
Then to top it off the price of inshell pecans is up by about 30%
Nope no stress here.

The brotherhood needs to PM an address to be on the Christmas list.
CCW 505t's Nitto Invo's and DR's
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood!
mws444 is offline   Reply With Quote