Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #29
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
Any dog huh, then find me an article where a toy poodle mauled an able bodied adult to death
When was a toy poodle considered a dog?

TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #30
SLO RYDE
SLO RYDE

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS 400hp+ / K&N CAI./
What breed of dog bites the most people?

Statistically, the German Shepherd.

However, recording which breeds of dogs bite the most doesn't prove which breeds are the most aggressive. Most commonly talked about is the American Pit Bull Terrier.

Something else that needs to be noted, is that we can only give statistics for reported bites. In my lifetime, I've learned that you have a better chance of being bitten by a small dog, - ex., a terrier - and I use a terrier as an example because terriers were bred for efficiency in ratting, etc. in which the dog, obviously, used its mouth.

Just because a dog is of a certain breed NEVER means they are going to be aggressive. It's all in how they are trained, treated, and medically cared for.

I own a Pit, and she is a lover. She loves everyone, and other dogs and cats. It is easy to say negative things about a Pit. However until you meet one that is raised to be a lover, and you have time to inter act with a Pit that is raised to be people and pother pet friendly, you will still keep your beliefs. That they are killers. WRONG

Now if I only train my daughter.
Attached Images

2011 2SS/RS IOM. / K&N CAI./ V Max Throtle Body / Pypes Headers & Pype Bomb exhaust. / Texas Speed 231/236 112 Ls3 cam/ RX Catch Can/ SLP Under Drive Pulley/ American Racing Torque M Wheels painted. / CBD Rear Wing, SunCoast Creations Bumbble Bee Hood, Heritage Grill/ SLP "SS" Badges and tuned by "TampaTuning.com" & Next Level Performance
SLO RYDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #31
camaroracing2834
Mike, Go Yanks & Giants!!

Drives: Use to drive 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
American Veterinary Medical Association, the CDC, and the Humane Society of the United States http://www.petsdo.com/blog/top-ten-10-most-dangerous-dog-breeds

Pit Bulls have the number one slot on this website, but German Shepard's have number 3. Just like a Pit Bull owner would say, it's how you raise and train your dog. I own a German Shepard (King) and he is extremely intelligent.
Also, he is a huge baby, that never leaves my side. He is friendly with every one of my neighbors, I can take a toy, or anything away from him with out a growl or dirty look.
He lives in a house with three cats, one likes him the other two can't stand him, so King stays away from them. King is two years old. Had him since he was thirteen weeks old. My grandmother moved in last year with her 7 year old Chiwawa, it is a nasty dog that even bites my grandmother. King has not shown any aggression towards that Chiwawa. Matter of fact he's always trying to play with him lol but that dog wants no part of that.
In conclusion, just because its a Pit and/or German Shepard, or any others does not mean that you can't have them as family pets because they are an "aggressive breed" it's how you train them, and handle them.

Well, sorry for typing this long essay lol I love dogs, and some of them do get a bad rap. I feel bad that this happened, my blessing go out to that man!

King

Old 08-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #32
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Maybe that's the bigger picture. We need dog control legislation and enforcement. If you aren't going to properly train or raise your dog, you shouldn't have one for the dog's safety, your safety, and that of your neighbors and visitors.

Same could be said for having kids.
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #33
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricamaro View Post
Same could be said for having kids.
I can't say you're wrong.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #34
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
yeah.
buy a lab. they chase tennis balls and lick your hand.
Reverse that and Im in
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #35
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
Reverse that and Im in

shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:02 PM   #36
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
It's funny how there are people that own a pit and say they train them right and that their dog would never harm anyone...I wonder what the family in the OP thought of the breed as well...

Oh that's right, let's just assume that they obviously didn't train their dog right so we can keep our blinders on. For every dog you can say you raised right, there's probably 10 more pits out there that was trained right, but still snapped.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:07 AM   #37
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Wow - according to all of the "statistics" being posted here, I should be dead. I have a Rottweiler AND a German Shepherd, and my neighbor has a Pit Bull.
Now - go re-read these articles. These breeds account for the most FATAL dog attacks. The most dog bites come from smaller breeds, like poodles and cocker spaniels. You just don't hear about it because people don't die from them.
It IS about how the animal is raised. My dogs have never even growled at a person, but my dogs have been attacked by smaller dogs, and so have I. The owners of those dogs thought it was "cute" when their dogs were being aggressive, and did nothing to stop it. When a Jack Russell was literally hanging by it's teeth from my Rotties neck (and my Rottie was standing there doing nothing except looking confused) I said to the owner "If my dog behaved that way, I'd be forced to put her down. Get your dog away from me or I'll put HIM down right here and now"
The story of this poor woman being killed is tragic, but we don't know the whole story - don't judge an entire breed by this story...
Old 08-15-2011, 12:38 AM   #38
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Ignorant people will always make ignorant decisions.
Don't get the breed if you don't know how to raise it, don't judge the breed if you know nothing about the story behind the attacks.
If you know dogs, you learn to recognize the dogs that are raised properly from the ones who are spoiled or mistreated.
I think the solution would be to require dog breed lessons before buying any dog.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #39
Berean

Drives: Truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
It's funny how there are people that own a pit and say they train them right and that their dog would never harm anyone...I wonder what the family in the OP thought of the breed as well...

Oh that's right, let's just assume that they obviously didn't train their dog right so we can keep our blinders on. For every dog you can say you raised right, there's probably 10 more pits out there that was trained right, but still snapped.
Berean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:52 AM   #40
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Ignorant people will always make ignorant decisions.
Don't get the breed if you don't know how to raise it, don't judge the breed if you know nothing about the story behind the attacks.
If you know dogs, you learn to recognize the dogs that are raised properly from the ones who are spoiled or mistreated.
I think the solution would be to require dog breed lessons before buying any dog.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:08 AM   #41
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
I have to disagree with most of you. I've had and raised pit bulls in the past and as with any dog it needs training and structure. Pitbulls are naturally friendly and loyal to owners, and usually friendly to strangers...by nature. But its when people are unprepaired to train these dogs, fight these dogs, or use hit these dogs trying to train these dogs, they break their trust for people or become the alpha in the household. This is true for any dog, but the pit is a powerful dog...but more importantly they have very strong determination. This is where the myth when they bite they're jaws lock come from. There is nothing that makes their jaw lock, they're just determined to not open it. For many years these dogs were called nanny dogs, because how good they were with young children and even babies (in the 1800's and early 1900's). It wasn't until the widespread popularity of dog fighting that the dog's rep changed in the mid 1900's.

Here's the discription of the breed from the american kennel club;

The Bull Terrier is a smooth-coated dog with great strength for his size. He is active and agile and comes in six color varieties: solid red, fawn, white, black, blue, or brindle. Today, he serves primarily as a family companion and is seen in the show, obedience and agility rings.

A Look Back
The Bull Terrier draws its character of indomitable courage, high intelligence, and tenacity from his past history. The breed originated in the nineteenth century when coal miners in Staffordshire, England, wanted a small, fast dog. They combined the Bulldog with a small local terrier similar to the Manchester Terrier. The result was the Staffordshire Bull Terrier that we know today.

Right Breed for You?
The Bull Terrier is extremely courageous and obedient, highly intelligent and affectionate with a sense of humor. This, coupled with its affection for its friends, and children in particular, its off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability, makes it a foremost all-purpose dog. He looks forward to daily exercise, and his powerful jaws enjoy a supply of sturdy chew toys. While he is a sweet-tempered, affectionate dog, his strength and determination require an experienced owner who can work with him in a firm, but gentle way. The Staffie’s coat is short and smooth, and needs only a quick brushing once a week.

I had a stroke when I was 24, I was leaving a friends house and his pit was running up to jump on me as he always does. He stopped mid sprint looking at me then cocked his head with a worried/curious look on his face. then the stroke hit, I didn't know I was a stroke so I laid down and his pit stayed by my side and even helped me to the bathroom. He never left my side until I went to the hospital. Now looking back I should have know something serious was going on by how he was acting.

A prime example of people who don't properly take care of dogs are most taco bell dogs, and simular breeds. I've been bit by these dogs more than I can count. People don't realize they actually they require more training and structure than pits and other big breeds. Which is why untrained they bark and bite at everything they're by. But they're small and cute so the owners don't get in trouble for it because I don't have to worry about dying from an attack by an untrained and aggressive chiuaua, swap that out with a pit and its a different story.

Not to take anything away from the tragedy that occured. Pit bulls are a great breed of dog, as any big breed of dog they're potentially dangerous, if they're not trained and take the alpha role in the home, made to fight, and or abused. The most common mistake is see with pits are owners hitting them to train them, this breaks their trust for people.

Sorry for the long write up, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I love dogs, pits and husky/malamutes in particular, and I've got alot of knowledge and experience with those breeds. If your an experienced dog owner, and you have hatred toward this breed, I challenge you to get one as a puppy and train it properly, give it structure and love it. I guaranty you'll never have a better dog.
Attached Images

TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:16 AM   #42
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
ANY breed can turn aggressive at a given moment. I've been bitten by everything from Boxers to Chihuahuas. Even had a Golden Retriever snap at me once.

Pit bulls can have a predisposition for aggression but that doesn't mean every Pit will be aggressive. Many are very affectionate and calm animals when properly trained and cared for.

That being said, it is best to approach an unfamiliar Pit with a careful mindset. It's best to approach ANY animal with a careful mindset.