Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-23-2011, 10:26 PM   #71
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I got to this thread late.

My answer would be the least popular.

For all of you who love your Pit Bulls, Rots, GSs, Chows and the like, that's great ....... keep them. I've know some people who have had these dogs with very few problems.

The argument that the smaller breeds don't get reported as much but bite as much is weak. Just plain week. What's your point? We are NOT talking about a lady (or people in general) who got 'bit'. We're talking about when the dog MAMES ANS KILLS HUMANS. So if the bites reported were from the Pits, Chows and Rots, then they must have been report worthy. Poodles and Blue healers don't kill people.

And, though I'm a 'pro guns guy', I am an 'anti-killer dog' guy. My gun will never run off and shoot someone. I'm the only one who needs to be trained with my gun. It doesn't have a mind of it's own.

It's very simple to me. Name the dogs that have mamed and killed people. I'm guessing the Rots and Pits and Chows and Shepards? Maybe a few others?

Well, breed those dogs out of existance. Nobody loses a loved pet because the current dogs stay alive. You just can't breed it. Domestic dogs are NOT a part of the circle of life and food chain. This way everyone gets to keep their pets and a few breeders are out of business. Compensate those breeders and call it a day.

Simply put, the dogs killing people are the problem. My Blue healer could go apeshit crazy and do it's best but could not kill most adults.

I will admit that I could swear I heard the news story of a lady who had half her face eaten of by her poodle because she had a bloody lip and took some meds that knocked her out. Sad story that was too. But you have to really dig to find those ones. And she didn't die.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:08 AM   #72
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueallie View Post
Dogs have been domesticated for thousands of years. Lions and tigers are NOT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Domestication doesn't remove basic instincts.
Very true. We have to remember that animals don't have a moral compass, they don't have an understanding of right or wrong. Please don't argue that your dog knows it is wrong to pee on your floor, etc., that is a learned behavior, not a moral judgement on their part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
The argument that the smaller breeds don't get reported as much but bite as much is weak. Just plain week. What's your point? We are NOT talking about a lady (or people in general) who got 'bit'. We're talking about when the dog MAMES ANS KILLS HUMANS.
I would imagine that dog bite statistics come from medical facilities, so there are not going to be as many reports of a dog that nips someone on the hand and when you squeeze on it really, really hard a drop of blood comes out. It's going to be just as you said, serious injuries.

I'm not judging any dog breed here, though I have had this conversation with my sister who is a member of the AVMA and has been a small animal surgeon for nearly 20 years. While she had nothing to say about injuries to people, she stated that more injuries than any other to small animals came form bull terrier breeds. I believe her quote was "I'd rather have genital herpes than a pit bull".

I'm pretty libertarian in most of my views, so I say if you want any kind of animal at all, go for it. But I personally wouldn't have any kind of animal in my house if I had small children. I am certain that the vast majority will never harm a hair on their heads, but I'm not willing to gamble on the small number that will.
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:24 AM   #73
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
How sad for the family. As a dog trainer I acknowledge all your arguments and maintain that if you start with a dog with a crappy gene pool and you know what you're doing, you'll probably end up with an okay dog. Get a dog that is an exemplary specimen of the breed your job will be that much easier. Get a dog with crappy breeding coupled with an owner with no knowledge or understanding of what they got, and there's trouble.
I'm alarmed at the number of dogs coming out of shelters that are pit mixes with no training going into the hands of people with no understanding of the dog they're inviting into their home. Recipe for disaster.
There are good breeders who know what they're doing and are breeding better dogs, better temperaments, better structure. You have to pay to get these kind of dogs though, and most people just don't want to pay that kind of money so they grab any puppy off craigslist, breed it to whatever to get their money back, and more genetically impoverished psychodogs hit the streets.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:26 AM   #74
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Paul View Post
Very true. We have to remember that animals don't have a moral compass, they don't have an understanding of right or wrong. Please don't argue that your dog knows it is wrong to pee on your floor, etc., that is a learned behavior, not a moral judgement on their part.

I would imagine that dog bite statistics come from medical facilities, so there are not going to be as many reports of a dog that nips someone on the hand and when you squeeze on it really, really hard a drop of blood comes out. It's going to be just as you said, serious injuries.

I'm not judging any dog breed here, though I have had this conversation with my sister who is a member of the AVMA and has been a small animal surgeon for nearly 20 years. While she had nothing to say about injuries to people, she stated that more injuries than any other to small animals came form bull terrier breeds. I believe her quote was "I'd rather have genital herpes than a pit bull".

I'm pretty libertarian in most of my views, so I say if you want any kind of animal at all, go for it. But I personally wouldn't have any kind of animal in my house if I had small children. I am certain that the vast majority will never harm a hair on their heads, but I'm not willing to gamble on the small number that will.
Agreed.

I don't have anything against a breed either. In fact, dont' care what it is, Dog, Cat, Bird, Snake, whatever..... if it's killing people as a pet, we should breed it out of existence. The PETS of course. Like I said, pets are not a part of the food chain or ecosystem.

Last edited by PQ; 08-24-2011 at 12:42 AM.
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #75
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
It's useless to try to change the minds of people who choose to judge a dog solely based on its breed. Which is fine for me, because hopefully, it's one of those judgemental types who attempts to break into my house - I know my dogs are big babies, but the burglar doesn't....

Old 08-24-2011, 12:51 AM   #76
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugsmom View Post
It's useless to try to change the minds of people who choose to judge a dog solely based on its breed. Which is fine for me, because hopefully, it's one of those judgemental types who attempts to break into my house - I know my dogs are big babies, but the burglar doesn't....
No doubt. Only problem is it's never the burglar who the dog tears apart.

Like I said, I am not an advocate of killing existing dogs, just not allowing them to breed. And like I said, Dog, Cat, breed of each or whatever, if they can and will kill a human, we eraticate them through breeding control. My two best freinds here in Alabama BOTH had PitBulls. One of them is still a big brute. Awesome dog. But I (as an occasional guest) dont' get too close to it. Call me paranoid but it can do me some serious harm if I piss it off somehow.

The other freind had to get rid of his because it was mauling his other dog. He had the Pit from a puppy up, and the other dog (Black Lab) was already there before the Pit Puppy. But the puppy got big quick and two trips to the vet and a lot of pain later he got rid of it. That dog never showed any agression to people but other animals it would attack instantly. No real reason Steve could think of. Steve is a State Trooper and has had dogs all his life. Just one of those things.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:54 AM   #77
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
its a horrible story , BUT at the end pits are just the same as all the other dogs. it all depends on how the owner trained them. not because pits are the most aggressive, other breeds are just as aggressive.
it all boils down to how you train them and how much rope is given in the owner / dog relation.....
OWNERs must show the dominance

btw my close friend / neighbor is a proffestional dog trainer for the K9 unit and he agrees to everything
Old 08-24-2011, 01:00 AM   #78
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
its a horrible story , BUT at the end pits are just the same as all the other dogs. it all depends on how the owner trained them. not because pits are the most aggressive, other breeds are just as aggressive.
it all boils down to how you train them and how much rope is given in the owner / dog relation.....
OWNERs must show the dominance

btw my close friend / neighbor is a proffestional dog trainer for the K9 unit and he agrees to everything
NO, they are not the same as most other dogs. Pits can kill you. Most other dogs can't.

I'm not disagreeing with you about how they act. But you make it sound like a pit is as harmless as all other dogs. It's just not true. If a Poodle, weener dog, healer or whatever attacks you, you will not die. And most of the time they only attack with one nip. A Pit Bull, Rot, Chow, will kill your ass.

Again, bottom line is a Shitsu never killed anyone.

I won't argue with the ones saying the pits and rots are like any dog as far as biting attacking and agressiveness. I'm just saying they are WAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY more dangerous.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:08 AM   #79
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
i never said anything or compared them to yorkeys or poodles, they are big and powerful dogs, but i do not like that people always pin point pits as the loaded guns of the breeds.... rots and dobies are just as capable as pits to kill someone. in fact i have been attacked by both but never by a pit. which i have had many
we both have valid points , im just tired of pitbulls being the only ones in the killer circle of breeds, and not the other American favorite large breeds
Old 08-24-2011, 01:10 AM   #80
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Quote:
No doubt. Only problem is it's never the burglar who the dog tears apart.

Like I said, I am not an advocate of killing existing dogs, just not allowing them to breed. And like I said, Dog, Cat, breed of each or whatever, if they can and will kill a human, we eraticate them through breeding control. My two best freinds here in Alabama BOTH had PitBulls. One of them is still a big brute. Awesome dog. But I (as an occasional guest) dont' get too close to it. Call me paranoid but it can do me some serious harm if I piss it off somehow.

The other freind had to get rid of his because it was mauling his other dog. He had the Pit from a puppy up, and the other dog (Black Lab) was already there before the Pit Puppy. But the puppy got big quick and two trips to the vet and a lot of pain later he got rid of it. That dog never showed any agression to people but other animals it would attack instantly. No real reason Steve could think of. Steve is a State Trooper and has had dogs all his life. Just one of those things.
This is an important point... HUMANS need training, too! It's wise to be cautious around dogs you don't know. When my Rottie was only about a year old, I was walking her in the park (on leash), and a little girl about 3 or 4 years old came running over and threw herself across my dog's back. I stopped, held the leash a little tighter (I knew my dog didn't have a whole lot of experience with toddlers) and told my dog to sit and stay. She did. The kid's mom was FREAKING out, running toward me, screaming. I was so pleased with the way my dog behaved - she just sat there, looking confused over all the fuss - and took the opportunity to teach the mom and child how to approach a strange dog. Hopefully, they remembered it later on....
Old 08-24-2011, 01:11 AM   #81
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Quote:
i never said anything or compared them to yorkeys or poodles, they are big and powerful dogs, but i do not like that people always pin point pits as the loaded guns of the breeds.... rots and dobies are just as capable as pits to kill someone. in fact i have been attacked by both but never by a pit. which i have had many
we both have valid points , im just tired of pitbulls being the only ones in the killer circle of breeds, and not the other American favorite large breeds
The only dogs that have ever attacked me were a Jack Russell terrier and a Chihuahua... But a German Shepherd saved my life when I was little...
Old 08-24-2011, 01:13 AM   #82
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Oh. I do often make the same mistake to be quick to blame the pits. But I think that's because they are more popular?

I've never seen a Chow or Rot in person. I've seen many Pit Bulls. Just chance I guess.

Like I said, my one buddies Pit is a big softy. Like a big teddy bear. It's actually amazing to see how tender he is with the kids. He'll wrestle and jump on adults playfully and doesn't seem to realize his own size, but the kids he's very timid and carefull around. It's pretty cool.

Even my other Trooper freinds Pit was cool with people and kids. Just would kill another animal at the drop of a hat.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:16 AM   #83
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Quote:
Oh. I do often make the same mistake to be quick to blame the pits. But I think that's because they are more popular?

I've never seen a Chow or Rot in person. I've seen many Pit Bulls. Just chance I guess.

Like I said, my one buddies Pit is a big softy. Like a big teddy bear. It's actually amazing to see how tender he is with the kids. He'll wrestle and jump on adults playfully and doesn't seem to realize his own size, but the kids he's very timid and carefull around. It's pretty cool.

Even my other Trooper freinds Pit was cool with people and kids. Just would kill another animal at the drop of a hat.
You and Bonnie can come up and visit - my Rottie is the sweetest thing you'll ever meet. Her name is Penelope (as in Penelope Pitstop).
Old 08-24-2011, 01:21 AM   #84
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
This is an important point... HUMANS need training, too! It's wise to be cautious around dogs you don't know. When my Rottie was only about a year old, I was walking her in the park (on leash), and a little girl about 3 or 4 years old came running over and threw herself across my dog's back. I stopped, held the leash a little tighter (I knew my dog didn't have a whole lot of experience with toddlers) and told my dog to sit and stay. She did. The kid's mom was FREAKING out, running toward me, screaming. I was so pleased with the way my dog behaved - she just sat there, looking confused over all the fuss - and took the opportunity to teach the mom and child how to approach a strange dog. Hopefully, they remembered it later on....

Dogs seem to just know the kids are more harmless. I've seen them bite a child but only one bite to let the kid know he don't want to be Fed with. lol

Big dogs seem to just know. I guess it makes sense. They dont' feel theatened by the kids I guess. Or maybe just an instinct of knowing the young.

Quote:
The only dogs that have ever attacked me were a Jack Russell terrier and a Chihuahua... But a German Shepherd saved my life when I was little...
I HATE A TERRIER. Of ANY kind.

We've had 3 of them. NONE of them made it into our family unit. Two of them bit and were little Fers. I almost killed one of them. Bonnies mother had her little weenerdog in her arms and the little terrier was trying to get at the weener dog and was biting the shit out of Bonnies mother. I put that dog up against the wall swinging at the end the leash that it happened to be on. The other terrier started biting a freind we had invited over. And wouldn't stop til I got ahold of it's neck. It was at the pound the next day.

German Sheperds are AWESOME dogs. Personaly I can't remember of a GS attack but I guess it's happened.

I'd still breed the killer dogs out though. Why take the chance?