Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #15
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDF View Post
Is that the Hurst Billet Plus that makes the noise? I have one installed in mine. I notice a little noise when I have my hand on it but otherwise no noise at all.
Did you install dynamat? If I am just grandma driving, no noise, but try accelerating hard in 2nd and 3rd, you'll hear it no doubt. Try that and let us know. But if u installed dynamat, that would be why you hear no noise.

Okay, where and how exactly do you apply dynamat to reduce or elimiate the noise????? Can someone answer this please?
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #16
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post
How about we add that these shifters need to come down in price.

I cant get over what came with the Hurst, a plastic ball knob, some grease and a shaft and flange nothing else for $375. Crazy!!!
I got a nice deal along with fellow SoCal members, paid $320 total, installed by Hurst techs at the Hurst office.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #17
2Tightwads
Banned

Drives: 2002 LS1 swapped into a 1994 Z
Hurst for nostalgia in my opinion.
2Tightwads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:43 PM   #18
Havok1327

Drives: 2010 Camaro IOM 2SS/RS
I also have the Hurst and love it. I do get a bit of noise, It's more old school and I like that. Too each his own.

I do agree with some of the others, I got in on the sub $300 price and still think I over paid a bit for what was in the kit. But overall I'm really happy with the results.
Havok1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #19
MTI Racing

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
The MTI Racing 2010 Camaro shifter is being used in Grand Am, European Spec series, and currently remarketed by several notable aftermarket suppliers. Through extensive testing and engineering, the MTI Racing Six Shooter Shifter for 2010 Camaro successfully maximized the feel and precision. It is HUGE improvement in feel over the stock shifter. It actually shifts better than stock. 99.9% of customers report that they finally have a good solid connection between them and the transmission with great results. We accomplished this with thorough engineering and maximizing the feel, and redesigning certain elements of the linkage that make the entire assembly stronger and last longer. A throw reduction of 25% was chosen because that is where the data shows the optimium feel, combined with the best total feel, combined with the easiest shifting effort. Any more than this, and it is not optimum because it further shortens the throw at the expense of a stiffer feel.
Our shifter also accepts either the stock Camaro knob or you can use our retro stylle Cue Ball knobs. (see attached pic)

Most other aftermarket shifters focus primarily on a short throw shifter stick. They do not address the shortcomings in the linkage or improving the overall feel of the shift selection. Their throw reduction is significantly higher than ours. In our research, this is not optimum. It shortens the throw at the expense of stiffer feel. The useage of "centering-springs" and touting its great stiffness isn't optimum either. The higher shift effort seems exciting for "death-gripping" the knob but it is harder on your wrist, harder on linkage and makes it more cumbersome to find 5th gear and Reverse.
The MTI Racing Six Shooter Shifter is an engineering masterpiece, using the best materials and technology available to make the best feeling, most precise shifter for the 2010 Camaro.

MTI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #20
rcracer78

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
LOVE MY HURST!
rcracer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #21
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
I like the feel of the stock shifter, but would love to have the hurst shifter shaft and knob. Hope they make a stock replacement for just this.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #22
Coop

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
So Chris at MTI how much is that shifter???

I am definitely looking for a shifter so all companies or stores let me know what you got.
2010 Camaro 1SS Inferno Orange Magnusson Supercharger Installed and Tuned by ADM Performance, Roto Fab CAI IOM painted, MBRP Cat Back Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Shifter, Clear Image Headers, Pedders coilovers, BMR Front/Rear sway bars Trailing Arms and End Links, VMax ported TB
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #23
MTI Racing

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
So Chris at MTI how much is that shifter???

I am definitely looking for a shifter so all companies or stores let me know what you got.
The MTI Racing Six Shooter is available at $389. Always in stock.

MTI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #24
CBH
VETT 4 5

Drives: Yellow 1SS/RS w/ Clutch
MTI - you mention harsh center-return springs in other shifters. Does the MTI have no return spring ?
CBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:38 PM   #25
bpoirier

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM CGM Stripes
I have an MGW shifter in mine and it is a slick, smooth shifter. Very positive gear changes and no noise that I can tell.
bpoirier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:48 PM   #26
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
I am also liking the MGW right now.
I woudl be willing to test out the MTI, but I have not heard back when I PMed them about my build.

Hurst and MGW are my front runners...btu as a daily driver I may go MGW. I have spoken at length with both companies, if you have questions send me a PM I would be happy to answer.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #27
Coop

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I am looking at the MGW one as well but they are out of stock aren't they?
2010 Camaro 1SS Inferno Orange Magnusson Supercharger Installed and Tuned by ADM Performance, Roto Fab CAI IOM painted, MBRP Cat Back Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Shifter, Clear Image Headers, Pedders coilovers, BMR Front/Rear sway bars Trailing Arms and End Links, VMax ported TB
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:56 AM   #28
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
I installed the MTI 6 shooter shifter yesterday. I purchased it from MTI at their event at the Talladega Grand Prix. Took me 3 leisurely hours start to finish and I did not remove or lower the exhaust as they show in their instructions. I'm sure I could cut the install time substantially if I wanted to. The way I installed the shifter was a hybrid of MTI instructions and Hurst shifter instructions. Working alone the thought of wrestling with the exhaust was not an option for me. Best way I can describe it is part of the shifter build up was done on the bench and part of it was done with the shifter assembly in the car. Although I performed the install on a lift, it could be done on the ground on jack stands, but at age 52 I prefer to stand while working versus crawling around on the floor. As far as I'm concerned the MTI six shooter is the only way to go, 25% shift reduction, bone stock quiet, all the play and vague rubber feeling is gone, smooth as glass feel and retains the stock look if you prefer, which I did. With it's unique shaft design you can use the stock pressed on knob or an aftermarket screw on type knob. The parts in the kit are of unequaled quality with excellent instructions even though I made my own decision to change the install method. I had many Hurst equipped 60's, 70's and 80's muscle/pony cars over the years but the MTI shifter on the '10 Camaro Tremec 6speed is the best feeling and shifting setup to date. I don't work for MTI and I paid full retail for the shifter, I'm just a happy customer. Ed M.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote