Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-18-2021, 06:34 PM   #1
OrangeYaGlad

Drives: 2010 camaro rs
LLT / LFX Frankenmotor project

Yeah, my first post is gonna be a wall of text for everyone but here it goes...
I recently bought a 2010 Camaro RS with the 3.6l LLT v6 as a project car needing engine work. Ive got it removed and torn down so far and it seems to be that it ran low on oil and completely destroyed a bearing. Also, the cam actuators seem to have broken and the timing components all wrecked as well. Running off a bit of research (a few old threads on here popped up actually) I bought a later model lfx motor with 60k on it, on the assumption the only changes made to the motor were all in the cylender heads. All the information ive seen suggests as much (higher compression, more duration on intake cam, bigger intake valve, integrated exhaust ports)
The idea is to rebuild the llt heads and swap them onto the lfx bottom end. It wasn't untill after disassembly on the lfx motor that I noticed the pistons on the lfx engine have a little more dome on them than the old llt. I have but two ish questions before I go forward:
Will the new pistons interfere on the old heads? Its hard to tell at a glance if the newer head design has a deeper combustion chamber to compensate. Im kind of guessing if it fits the conpression ratio may go up even more than the .2 or whatever difference it was between generarions, is this correct?
Question 2.... since my cam actuators are shot anyway, can I use the camshafts out of the lfx in the llt heads? At a glance they are the same build but knowing the intake duration is longer, it could potentially be a free upgrade. Or will it just cause a lean condition and the ecm to retard timing and actually cause a loss of power? Can the factory ecm compensate for say, the more aggresive intake cam and long tube headers and actually see gains? Is there a flash tune already availablenas such?
Ive seen a handful of threads on here where theres some serious performance freaks and engineers and if any of ya got some insight, id love to hear it!
-Bananna
OrangeYaGlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 02:59 PM   #2
OrangeYaGlad

Wow... 200 views and no answer. Shit not even a "hey welcome to the forums"
Ok, I guess im treading uncharted waters here... see, these cars, especially with the failure prone v6, are probably about 5 years away from cheap beater status. People are gonna have these sitting in their yards not wanting to put 3k into an engine, and hell finding a good llt is already hard. If what im doing here works out, you will have a readilly available rebuild option on a good enough budget that people might just save a few cars.
Old 08-23-2021, 05:06 PM   #3
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
You can use the entire bottom end of the LFX, and use your heads, intake manifold
and exhaust manifolds. Pistons will not interfere, and you still need to use your
Bosch ECU.

The CAM actuators, you're confusing with PHASERs. The actuators, or VVT solenoids
are in the front of the motor. However, yes you can use the LFX cams w/Phasers.
The differences between the two cams is small. You can even put LFX heads on
the LLT, but then you need the LFX's down-pipes and intake manifold, and a little
work.

2010-2011 need a specific tuner, because of the Bosch ECU.
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:23 PM   #4
OrangeYaGlad

Thats what I suspected but it's excellent to have that confirmation. In my downtime today I was able to test fit the llt heads onto the lfx block and found no interference. The cams use a slightly different front cap but it seems you can either use the lfx cap or the spacer from the llt set up and have the oil passagesline up. Valves are different on both the intake and the exhaust, as the lfx parts are shorter. Also worth noting, the hla's and them baby roller rockers are the same between both motors. Thats what I've observed so far anyways. Ill keep posting as the rebuild continues
Old 10-05-2021, 03:17 AM   #5
IBM camaro 2

Drives: 2011 camaro RS, BMW e90
I read at thread somewhere on a boosted v6 that did the LLT to LFX engine swap as an entire engine it required tuning out the Vats and a few other things but worked completely tuning was trifecta I believe. Found something in my screenshots
Attached Images

IBM camaro 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:34 AM   #6
alice

Drives: 2010 camaro limited edition turbo
I haven't been on here in a while but decided to see what's going on. Unfortunately, I can't shed any light on mixing and matching LLT and LFX major parts but I can attest to the fact that my 2010 Camaro LFX conversion with the twin turbos is still running great! Never had even one issue with the conversion and I drive it everyday. The car is fun to drive and runs awesome. I've done a huge number of modifications to the car and it's FAST! Outruns the SS's. A few of the mods are as follows: ATI 4300 RPM stall converter, carbon fiber one piece drive shaft, Hammer Head diff with Wavetrac posi unit, 5.33 gears, 31" Pirelli tires, Twin rear mount Borg Warner EFR turbochargers, just to name a few. The engine is bone stock 2014 LFX unit with the Delphi ECU and Automatic transmission.

Good luck with your ride.
Attached Images

Last edited by alice; 10-05-2021 at 09:11 AM. Reason: added pictures
alice is offline   Reply With Quote