Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 08-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
1o.f00t.570rk
Tall Guy

Drives: '11 LS SGM, '96 BK, '88 S10
Post FI for MPG instead of power?

Hey all, recently in my area I'd seen both a Silverado and a Corvette with vinyl numbers/advertising on the side. Come to find out they are claimed MPG values, and they are rather impressive if true:

Corvette - 40mpg city 32mpg highway - 775HP 691ft-lb
Silverado - 32mpg city 28mpg highway - 500HP 450ft-lb

http://www.genesvettes.com/index.html

They also claim that because of their work with the manufacturer, the package installation is covered by the factory warranty, and installs in about three hours. They appear to use a remote turbo system, custom tuning, but not much info other than that.

Getting to our V6's, I see the most common push for FI being raw numbers, but would it be possible to build for straight efficiency and MPG as the goal?

I DD my Camaro, so if I could see better MPG numbers, the system would pay for itself over the life of the car. I don't honestly have a need for more power, but if I could see small/no gains but get better MPG...that would make the vehicle go from just being awesome for me to being nearly perfect.

In my layman's mind it would also seem to be a different way to approach the fueling issue with FI, where instead of not having enough fuel or being able to deliver it, we'd be instead trying to get the most out of what we already have.

So is this snake oil/pipe dream or something within the realm of possibility? Are any gains just the result of a refined tune?

I would also bet that the system could probably be adapted to the V8 Camaros as well...so if it's plausible then we may need to get a head start so they can't claim more power and better MPGs!
On Order: Ported IM
Future Plans: Airlift Suspension - CF Driveshaft - 9in IRS - SC FI - Brembo Brakes - more Pfadt
Team
LLT
1o.f00t.570rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
I get the same mpg's. With the IPF just try to stay away from lean conditions.
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
Better then stock. 33-34 if I would drive the speed limit
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Ramsey
Ramsey

Drives: 2011 1LT IOM
Ford has already done this with most of their EcoBoost engines. FI for better MPG's
Ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Typically what happens is that the hwy mpg goes up more than city with just turbos. I'm guessing this is more than just FI and a tune since you see a very big increase in the city mpg. I'm guessing they are combining the FI with DOD/AFM and tuning it so that the engine continures to run on fewer cylinders under greater load. They may also be using some hybrid tech here, too. Just a guess though.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
My MPG went down with the supercharger, I'm at about 16.5 mpg city (.5 better than an SS) and my highway basically went unchanged. I see no way that a supercharger is going to increase your mpg, your making more power on the same engine, why would it go up? Turbo MAYBE. So it has got to be in the tuning.

So basically what Gretchen said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post
Ford has already done this with most of their EcoBoost engines. FI for better MPG's
Yeah but they're typically doing a turbo'd four cylinder as opposed to a V6.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
My MPG went down with the supercharger, I'm at about 16.5 mpg city (.5 better than an SS) and my highway basically went unchanged. I see no way that a supercharger is going to increase your mpg, your making more power on the same engine, why would it go up? Turbo MAYBE. So it has got to be in the tuning.

So basically what Gretchen said.

Yeah but they're typically doing a turbo'd four cylinder as opposed to a V6.
Trust me the are selling a lot of the v6 EBs especially in the F150. In fact earlier this year they had to add another shift at the plant that makes the v6 EB.

As to the OP... Adding FI won't really increase your MPG. What is does is give you increased performance without the MPG penalty of a bigger motor. That's the EcoBoost's tag line "The power of a V8 with the fuel efficiency of a V6"
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Trust me the are selling a lot of the v6 EBs especially in the F150. In fact earlier this year they had to add another shift at the plant that makes the v6 EB.
Guess I should have been more clear. EB four cylinder as opposed to N/A V6.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Yep turbo's are more efficient than a SC also because of how different the systems make the extra power. Reusing exhaust for extra power makes sense when as a SC puts a extra load on the engine to make power. My buddy has a single turbo SS and gets 26mpg on his. I get 18.6mpg because I drive like a butt. I use to get 22mpg when I first get it back. But the tune is also key, I'm wasting 30% of my fuel because I'm running rich. And this was measured on the dyno and I'm not making it up.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #10
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Very cool, but to be getting 40MPG in the city their has to be more work done than a finely tuned FI setup in my opinion. (too lazy right now to check out the website)
Old 08-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Very cool, but to be getting 40MPG in the city their has to be more work done than a finely tuned FI setup in my opinion. (too lazy right now to check out the website)
According to their website that's all it is... Highly efficient tuning. Sorry I'm going with snake oil...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
According to their website that's all it is... Highly efficient tuning. Sorry I'm going with snake oil...
Yeah I couldn't resist...I checked it out. Claiming nothing but rear mount turbo technology and efficient tuning. Have to see to believe.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
Quote:
Yeah I couldn't resist...I checked it out. Claiming nothing but rear mount turbo technology and efficient tuning. Have to see to believe.
They calculated those claims going downhill at idle.
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #14
NightRiderRS

Drives: Black RS
Quote:
Very cool, but to be getting 40MPG in the city their has to be more work done than a finely tuned FI setup in my opinion.
Alot goes into play on achieving a high MPG turbo engine. Size of turbo, spool time, injector size, tuning, ect...
I could see within the next 2-3 years the llt and lfx engines people will be pushing 400-500 wheel HP and still getting 35 City MPG.
NightRiderRS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forced induction, mpg, turbo, turbocharging