Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-26-2016, 02:16 PM   #71
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonSSwalker View Post
The dealer took it to their body shop and they are trying to say that it is going to be like that. They said

"Ok, so paint is good. Because of the paint color and the tri-coat plus the difference in the material its painted on, yes its a slightly different tint to it. He said all the ones with the tri-coats look like that depending on the vehicle. The bumpers are painted separate. He said everything looks good though."

Not sure I buy this and I think I'm going to just have to find people or dealers in my area that have the same vehicle and color as me to compare them to because the difference to me is just too noticeable! I think they just don't want to fix it. Any suggestions on what I should do?
That's not why at all. If that was the case, then every car that came out of a local bodyshop with a repaint (including theirs) would have mis-matched paint on the bumpers.

The real issue is that the bumpers are painted by the supplier and arrive at the plant already painted. In other words, the paint doesn't match because the assembly plant and suppliers plant have not done a good enough job matching the shade perfectly.

This issue also presented itself on the 5th gens and took a few years before they finally matched it all up. Go look at an early 2009 IOM or burgundy camaro and you'll find the same thing.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:17 PM   #72
tinka

Drives: 2016 Black SS W/ Gray Stripes
I also had paint issues and called the customer number. It took three months to actually speak to someone! A friend who went through this situation told me to write down every call you make to them, who you spoke to and anything they tell you each time. She was right! Once I finally got someone on the phone, I was able to ask for a supervisor that i could email all the info to regarding the number of calls and no resolution. Things moved quickly after that.
tinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:34 PM   #73
Inthepasture

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
This solution is easy. It doesn't matter what the base material is: aluminum, plastic, fiberglass, metal etc. What matters is how many coats of base (primer et al) and how many finish coats. GM? 1 or 2 coats of each. The money is in the chassis. $11K for a crate LT1. I have driven my blue car 2200 miles, sunny days only in SoCal and the small amount of road grit has really damaged the paint. Whatev. I'll just get a respray of 6 coats.
Inthepasture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:22 AM   #74
Lashu74
Lashu74

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Customer care is pretty worthless! I had severe paint marring on delivery and didn't notice till I got it home under garage lights. Dealer is only giving me a portion of the cost to get it corrected. All detailers I took it too said they weren't sure they would be able to remove all the scratches due to severity and location. Customer care reached out to me cause they saw my posts on the forum. I've noticed that's what they do, they want to make it look like they give a shit but in reality they could care less the car was paid for now it's my problem. They did absolutely nothing for me but give me the run around for a month. They never returned my calls or reached out to me like they said they would. They said they contacted the dealer several times but would not give me any insight as to what was going on after repeated requests. Their last response to me via private message on the forum was they had exhausted all their options. They couldn't even give me a call. I asked them at least 6 times to call me apparently spending close to 70k wont even get you a phone call!! Bumper is significantly different in color as well which I could have lived with just wanted to get the scratches fixed, and to be reimbursed for the diminished value of the car due to scratches that could not be removed. I will never purchase another new vehicle without going over it with a fine tooth comb. It's is total BS that they allow cars to be delivered in this state. If you get a new car bring a flashlight and go over the entire car front to back. This is my second GM and I understand we purchase these cars for the performance aspect but there is no excuse for the quality they are delivering. I purchased this car from Royal Cheveolet in Virginia, I definitely got Royally screwed!! The detailers I took it too also found buffing compound in various areas which means the dealer tried to correct this and knowingly sold me a car with heavy marring on it. Im sure customer care and the dealer have given me the run around in hopes that I just give up and that's not gonna happen.
Attached Images

Lashu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:48 PM   #75
goshawk823

Drives: 2017 RS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashu74 View Post
Customer care is pretty worthless! I had severe paint marring on delivery and didn't notice till I got it home under garage lights. Dealer is only giving me a portion of the cost to get it corrected. All detailers I took it too said they weren't sure they would be able to remove all the scratches due to severity and location. Customer care reached out to me cause they saw my posts on the forum. I've noticed that's what they do, they want to make it look like they give a shit but in reality they could care less the car was paid for now it's my problem. They did absolutely nothing for me but give me the run around for a month. They never returned my calls or reached out to me like they said they would. They said they contacted the dealer several times but would not give me any insight as to what was going on after repeated requests. Their last response to me via private message on the forum was they had exhausted all their options. They couldn't even give me a call. I asked them at least 6 times to call me apparently spending close to 70k wont even get you a phone call!! Bumper is significantly different in color as well which I could have lived with just wanted to get the scratches fixed, and to be reimbursed for the diminished value of the car due to scratches that could not be removed. I will never purchase another new vehicle without going over it with a fine tooth comb. It's is total BS that they allow cars to be delivered in this state. If you get a new car bring a flashlight and go over the entire car front to back. This is my second GM and I understand we purchase these cars for the performance aspect but there is no excuse for the quality they are delivering. I purchased this car from Royal Cheveolet in Virginia, I definitely got Royally screwed!! The detailers I took it too also found buffing compound in various areas which means the dealer tried to correct this and knowingly sold me a car with heavy marring on it. Im sure customer care and the dealer have given me the run around in hopes that I just give up and that's not gonna happen.
So you're the person that bought their one ZL1... my Royal sales guy told me they sold it to someone out of state.

I'm sorry you're having issues with them; they did good by me for my two prior Camaros. I was trying to negotiate another one with them, but they weren't budging on my trade in value.. I'll definitely keep your situation in mind as I continue to look for another Camaro.
2010 2LT RS
2013 2SS RS

Current ride:
2017 Camaro 2LT RS convertible
goshawk823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:37 PM   #76
Lashu74
Lashu74

Be glad you didn't get this car they really did a number on the paint. I'm pretty positive they knew the extent of the damage, if you must buy through them you better go over your car very carefully. They have had plenty of time to make this right and have chosen to give me partial compensation for scratches they know were done while the car was in their care. The compound found in multiple areas coupled with other facts made me realize there is no way they didn't know the extent of the damage. Which is why the car was left dirty and in a low lit area.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:03 AM   #77
Inthepasture

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Super harsh. That looks like a piece of plastic or cloth on the transport truck just wind whipped it. I did a massive inspection on my car including looking under the chassis from all sides. The dealer was looking at me like he had never seen this before. The funny thing is we really vet used cars more than new cars. The paint on my car is super thin and chips very easy like it was cured too quickly. Good luck with your repairs and compensation.
Inthepasture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:22 AM   #78
Lashu74
Lashu74

I went over the car pretty well, problem was I couldn't see the scratches because of dust on the car and poor lighting in the bay. Lesson learned for sure next time flashlight to go over paint front to back. This is the 7th new car I've purchased in my lifetime and I never had an issue with paint, who would of thought a brand new car would have scratches to this extent. It's ridiculous that a dealer would even try to sell a car in this condition without informing the consumer for fear of backlash. They figured I was 300 miles away and once I drove it off the lot they would never hear from me again....man were they f'n wrong!
Old 01-17-2017, 01:39 PM   #79
bodysnatcher
Bodysnatcher

Drives: 2017 Black RS
i wouldn't be able to sleep at night, especially if it was the Hyper Blue, the color I really wanted.
bodysnatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:04 PM   #80
Lashu74
Lashu74

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodysnatcher View Post
i wouldn't be able to sleep at night, especially if it was the Hyper Blue, the color I really wanted.
Believe me bud it's been a pretty stressful month. Non car people don't understand they look at a car as something that gets them from point A to point B! Us car guys do tons of research on our cars and we scrimp and save and then when we finally take delivery it's like a dream come true. Well this has been more like a nightmare, you would think GM would help out with this issue but nope they got paid and that seems to be all they care about...forget about customer satisfaction and making it right so you have a return customer for life. Total BS!!
Old 01-17-2017, 03:36 PM   #81
stook2001

Drives: 99 M3, 04 STi, 16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashu74 View Post
Believe me bud it's been a pretty stressful month. Non car people don't understand they look at a car as something that gets them from point A to point B! Us car guys do tons of research on our cars and we scrimp and save and then when we finally take delivery it's like a dream come true. Well this has been more like a nightmare, you would think GM would help out with this issue but nope they got paid and that seems to be all they care about...forget about customer satisfaction and making it right so you have a return customer for life. Total BS!!
Your story sounds similar to mine. I suspect the majority of the damage to your car can be fixed by a good detailer. I certainly hope that is the end result for you! Most of what I am seeing in your photos seems like it should be manageable with a 2 stage paint correction but it can be hard to tell without seeing it in person. I'm not excusing it at all, obviously, and for sure, it isn't ideal to heavily cut the clear on a brand new car, but under the halogens in your photos it probably looks quite a bit worse than under natural light.

In my case, I purposely took my car un-detailed since I (correctly) figured that I would do a better and more careful detail than the dealer. The dealer is likely to just cause a bunch of swirls and fill them with wax. So I got my car home, parked it in the garage, carefully washed it, clay bar, and taped it off. I started polishing it out and discovered that the hood appeared to have defects in the base and clear coats that could not be corrected. I ultimately had my hood swapped by the dealer. They had 2 other matching cars on the lot. The first one looked about as bad as my car. The 2nd one looked a lot better, however, once I got it home and detailed THAT hood, I found that it had a couple of minor clear defects AND another more significant defect. I can live with it but it definitely put a damper on the first 2 months of ownership. Boggles my mind how poor the paint quality is on these cars (at least a significant number of them judging by the sample of 3 that I have closely inspected).

By the way, part of the reason that your clear coat looks as bad as it does is because the clear coat is super soft. I was under the apparently incorrect thinking that GM had very hard clear coat. That does seem to be true for some of the cadillac paint but it is for sure not the case with our cars. The clear is very soft. On the one hand, this makes it much easier to correct scratches like yours but on the other hand it is also REALLY easy to mar the paint.
stook2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:18 PM   #82
Lashu74
Lashu74

Quote:
Originally Posted by stook2001 View Post
Your story sounds similar to mine. I suspect the majority of the damage to your car can be fixed by a good detailer. I certainly hope that is the end result for you! Most of what I am seeing in your photos seems like it should be manageable with a 2 stage paint correction but it can be hard to tell without seeing it in person. I'm not excusing it at all, obviously, and for sure, it isn't ideal to heavily cut the clear on a brand new car, but under the halogens in your photos it probably looks quite a bit worse than under natural light.

In my case, I purposely took my car un-detailed since I (correctly) figured that I would do a better and more careful detail than the dealer. The dealer is likely to just cause a bunch of swirls and fill them with wax. So I got my car home, parked it in the garage, carefully washed it, clay bar, and taped it off. I started polishing it out and discovered that the hood appeared to have defects in the base and clear coats that could not be corrected. I ultimately had my hood swapped by the dealer. They had 2 other matching cars on the lot. The first one looked about as bad as my car. The 2nd one looked a lot better, however, once I got it home and detailed THAT hood, I found that it had a couple of minor clear defects AND another more significant defect. I can live with it but it definitely put a damper on the first 2 months of ownership. Boggles my mind how poor the paint quality is on these cars (at least a significant number of them judging by the sample of 3 that I have closely inspected).

By the way, part of the reason that your clear coat looks as bad as it does is because the clear coat is super soft. I was under the apparently incorrect thinking that GM had very hard clear coat. That does seem to be true for some of the cadillac paint but it is for sure not the case with our cars. The clear is very soft. On the one hand, this makes it much easier to correct scratches like yours but on the other hand it is also REALLY easy to mar the paint.
I also think a good bit of it will come out but there are many areas where they most likely wont. The pic I posted was just to show the difference in color of the front bumper and one of the bad areas. The whole car is pretty much covered in this marring. We should not have to settle for a brand new car with any marring on it. Its one thing to do it yourself, but to have someone else do it and have to accept it for what it is in my mind is BS. I was led to believe that this paint is very hard which is why it is so thin. I bought a paint meter so I could take readings all over the car. There are areas on the hood that are just a few microns thicker then the door jamb and trunk jamb which are usually pretty thin from what Ive read. Since it was buffed (hacked) prior to my pickup some areas seem to be more noticeably thin than others. Not leaving the detailer much to work with.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:24 PM   #83
Lashu74
Lashu74

Additional pics of how Royal Chevrolet in Virginia delivers a new car.

Here are some of the bad areas
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2017, 06:27 PM   #84
Lashu74
Lashu74

additional pics

Its pretty bad!
Attached Images