Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #71
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRLOIN View Post
Is that all that matters now with muscle cars these days? Or is it just something a select few on car forums care about?
I can't tell you what matters with regard to marketing performance cars these days, as I don't have access to that marketing information.

Quote:
If one car is faster than the other, at any givin road course by a marginal amount, do people, or the general public really care? Do most people even know what Nurburgring is?
I am interested in how well a performance car handles the Nurburgring, as I believe it is an excellent venue to judge a vehicle's overall performance capability.

The Nurburging is very demanding track. It encompasses aspects of almost all other tracks that exist. It does not necessarily favor any one individual aspect of a vehicle, such as only high horsepower, or quick acceleration, or good braking, or top speed, or traction, or good low or high speed handling. A vehicle must have a well balanced overall performance package to do well at the Nurburgring. The track is not necessarily smooth, and, therefore, it is challenging in that regard for both the car and the driver.

The chances are that if a vehicle does well at the Nurburgring, it will do well just about anywhere. That does not mean that vehicle lap time orders at the Nurburgring will be identical to vehicle lap time orders at all other tracks because some tracks are designed to maximize top speed, while some are designed for good acceleration, and others for handling, etc. However, if a vehicle posts a good Nurburgring time, it indicates that the car is a well balanced high performance vehicle.

Quote:
IMO, when someone says they own the most powerful, fastest production muscle car ever made, people aren't thinking about Nurburgring times...
"Fastest production muscle car ever made" at what venue?

Quote:
You talk about 650HP being all about bragging rights, well isn't that what the Nurburging time's for the ZL1 are?
See my above comment about why I'm interested in Nurburgring lap times.

Quote:
I can tell you that everytime someone is driving down the road in their Shelby, or on the strip (with 650HP) and someone wants to play, which bragging right is gonna be best utilized? I ask this because that is where these cars are going to be doing battle 99% of the time.
It depends on the venue. The proper place to display and utilized one's "bragging rights" is not on public roads, but rather on a closed track under controlled conditions.

Quote:
Which one is more important to everyday people buying these cars, 650HP or 1.3265 seconds faster around a 13 mile roadcourse in Germany?
To me it's the Nurburgring lap time as it represents the type of performance that I can use more often in my driving pursuits.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
Old 03-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #72
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRLOIN
Which one is more important to everyday people buying these cars, 650HP or 1.3265 seconds faster around a 13 mile roadcourse in Germany?

Hey did the 500 post a ring time?
Old 03-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #73
YourBlindingBias
Banned

Drives: GT500/ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Isn't this part of the SVT PP package? That's what sucks is having to pay another 3,800 to get all of the goodies.

And I realize with the price tag already where it's at, what's another 3-4k.
That's why it's called an option.. nobody HAS to choose it lol
Old 03-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #74
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
I couldn't of said it any better then the way GoldenBear said it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBlindingBias View Post
That's why it's called an option.. nobody HAS to choose it lol
I garcmol he was reffering to where Stew believes it comes standard with. Unless it was just inproper wording ?
Old 03-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #75
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
That's a very good value. It will be interesting to see how well it performs.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Closed Thread