Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-15-2015, 12:04 PM   #1
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Orange Peel Removal

Zoom in to see the orange peel and see more detail!

Came across these pictures I took.

Very easy process: compound as you would but with the Carpro denim/velvet pad and take ptg readings in between passes and clean your pad more frequently (will show full process in a future video).

Anyways, here's the pictures:

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."

Last edited by ihaveacamaro; 04-15-2015 at 08:26 PM.
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:05 PM   #2
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
Roshan what machine did you use ? That looks awesome
Old 04-15-2015, 08:24 PM   #3
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
Roshan what machine did you use ? That looks awesome
Thanks Dani!

Sorry forgot to put that in there.

It was the Griot's Garage 6" with the Carpro Denim pad. About 15 passes with M100 as the compound. Speed 5.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #4
Duke

Drives: 2010 Red SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Thanks Dani!

Sorry forgot to put that in there.

It was the Griot's Garage 6" with the Carpro Denim pad. About 15 passes with M100 as the compound. Speed 5.
ihave, I'm starting this journey with the 6" Griot DA, Carpro velvet pads, and Meg's M105. I have a 2010 Victory Red Camaro and several years ago it got some paint over spray at work. I took it to the dealer and their carwash guy clayed it with what must have been the oldest and grittiest piece of clay, ever. Well, they covered the scratches with glaze and since I didn't know any better, I thought it was fixed.

Long story short, then Joe from H-Town Camaro Club buffed it and made a great improvement. There were still many deep scratches and I wet sanded the really bad ones with good results.

Now I just bought the Griot's DA and velvet pads. I had been using the Meg's drill attachment BP and pads. with M105. The M105 really finishes up nice, so I would like to stick with it.

I have 2 weeks to do this, so I'm taking it slowly. I started on the driver's front quarter panel. It goes pretty slow with M105 and the velvet pad, so I'm not worried about destroying the clear coat. I think if there is still some very minor orange peel, then the clear coat is fine. Not only is the orange peel getting leveled, but the last of the claybar scratches are gone. But I am going to have to redo all the Dr Color Chip repairs I had made. They got cleaned out real good, ha.

The area around the driving light and wheel well is difficult because of the narrow flat sections, any hints for these areas? Also, the pad loads up quicker than foam, any pad cleaning tips? How does M105 compare to M100?

When do you plan to put your video on YouTube?
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:47 PM   #5
Duke

Well, after many hours with the Carpro velvet pad and M105 on the facotry paint, the orange peel is a little less noticeable and the clay bar scratches are a little bit less. However, I can say with certainty that there is no ****ing way to damage the clear coat with the velvet pad, you will die first.

Use the denim pad or wet sanding. I will order the demim pads. It's not just the orange peel but the deep scratches from the bad clay bar job.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:22 PM   #6
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
Well, after many hours with the Carpro velvet pad and M105 on the facotry paint, the orange peel is a little less noticeable and the clay bar scratches are a little bit less. However, I can say with certainty that there is no ****ing way to damage the clear coat with the velvet pad, you will die first.

Use the denim pad or wet sanding. I will order the demim pads. It's not just the orange peel but the deep scratches from the bad clay bar job.

A clay bar that makes RID's?

Clay had to have been dropped or contaminated prior to use, or car wasn't cleaned first.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:42 AM   #7
Duke

Yes, the clay bar job to remove the overspray was done at the dealer. When I got the car back it was covered with scratches, many were deep scratches. The car was clean when I took it in.