Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Thread Closed

Old 08-03-2019, 11:30 PM   #1
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Wildhammer CF Steering Wheel

I bought one and I'm disappointed.

From my research it seems I'm the only one so hopefully mine was just a one-off.

You can tell the quality of the carbon fiber is excellent and hand-laid and polished. Stitching is well done, better than OEM. I love the red center stripe.

My complaint is that I paid $1000 for a steering wheel that has excellent carbon fiber work laid on top of someone else's beat up used steering wheel. Wildhammer recycles customer steering wheels -- I get that -- but if I'm paying $1000, I'd expect them to not send me a cracked, scuffed and dirty one. You can tell the previous owner had a hell of a time getting the steering wheel off his car. It's like he was a gorilla and muscled it off the car.

It's not bad enough for me to send it back but I am disappointed.

The volume rockers squeak but I never use them... **sigh**

**UPDATE** Wildhammer saw this post and reached out to me directly and offered to replace the steering wheel. Excellent customer service. I didn't even need to contact them. If that doesn't describe a company that cares about quality then I don't know what does. Thanks again Wildhammer, you've earned a repeat customer

Wildhammer CF Steering Wheel & My Slippers

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500

Last edited by angryBits; 08-05-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:56 AM   #2
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Mine arrived with the back graphite housing area scratched and the knobs that go into the rear broken off. I called wildhammer and sent pics. They were willing to send me another. I just fixed it, took it off and put mine from my original steering wheel on there. Knowing it’s an exchange, you have to expect stuff like that. I was happy they offered to send a replacement. Great customer service
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
Old 08-04-2019, 03:35 AM   #3
Gary H

Drives: Camaro ZL1
I'd send it back - IMO it's simply unacceptable that they'd assume you'd just put up with that kind of damage (let alone send it out in that condition) after sending a considerable amount of money

Velossa intake, Rotofab, Mamo TB, Custom ported NX Lid & Jokerz Full tilt ported LT4 charger, 3 port CoolingMist Meth injection - ATI 15% lower pulley, E2X CC, TSP ceramic coated longtubes, de-cat and Borla 60608 to NPP box, JRE tune, BMR rear control & trailing arms, lock-out kit, lowering springs and front strut brace, Custom carbon trim interior, Xpel ultimate front PPF and Prestige window tint with Chameleon Windscreen tint...ever evolving...
Old 08-04-2019, 04:54 AM   #4
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
I'd send it back - IMO it's simply unacceptable that they'd assume you'd just put up with that kind of damage (let alone send it out in that condition) after sending a considerable amount of money
+1
Old 08-04-2019, 07:27 AM   #5
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
From my experience, quality control at Wildhammer could use some improvement. My CF steering wheeling didn’t have any flaws, however, the alcantara boot on their CF shift knob arrived with a tear in it. It looked Like someone had cut it with a razor blade. Wildhammer was willing to exchange but rather than go through the hassle of sending it back, I just swapped the boot from my original shift knob. Just like your steering wheel, the carbon fiber part was flawless.

If I were in your shoes, I would request another steering wheel. At the cost we’re being charged for their CF products, these types of flaws are unacceptable.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:28 AM   #6
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Good enough not to mess with these guys. Thanks guys!
Old 08-04-2019, 09:07 AM   #7
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryBits View Post
I bought one and I'm disappointed.

From my research it seems I'm the only one so hopefully mine was just a one-off.

You can tell the quality of the carbon fiber is excellent and hand-laid and polished. Stitching is well done, better than OEM. I love the red center stripe.

My complaint is that I paid $1000 for a steering wheel that has excellent carbon fiber work laid on top of someone else's beat up used steering wheel. Wildhammer recycles core deposits -- I get that -- but if I'm paying $1000, I'd expect them to not send me a cracked, scuffed and dirty one. You can tell the previous owner had a hell of a time getting the steering wheel off his car. It's like he was a gorilla and muscled it off the car.

It's not bad enough for me to send it back but I am disappointed.

The volume rockers squeak but I never use them... **sigh**

If I paid 1000 and was disappointed enough to post that review, I would send it back.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
Old 08-04-2019, 10:19 AM   #8
ZL1Fan24

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I put Wildhammer's Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel on my brand ZL1. I still have the new "core" and it looks exactly the same as the one I received from them. You might expect it to look shiny new, but those unseen parts are not designed to look "new." You may be overthinking this. My experience with Wildhammer has been good. Like your experience, they seem to be responsive and helpful if there is any issue. I have purchased many parts for my car from them. The only issue I had was that they gave me the wrong shift knob once. They responded right away, and corrected it immediately. I have spent over $5,000 on parts from them and have been super happy with their assistance and customer service. Enjoy that new steering new wheel and keep modifying as you can!!
***2018 ZL1, CALLAWAY SC750, NFG, 6 Speed, Carbon Fiber Hood Insert, PDR, Carbon Fiber Dash, Tony Mamo V2 TB, Borla S-Type Cat Back Exhaust (Carbon Tips), Hurst Short Shifter, Eibach Performance Springs, IROC Blade Spoiler, GM Dark Lens Kit/Reflectors, Diode Dynamics Smoked LED Side Markers, Wildhammer Carbon Steering Wheel, CF Shift Knob, Titanium Lug Nuts***
Old 08-04-2019, 10:23 AM   #9
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
That's a hot mess, the fact someone thought that was acceptable is unbelievable, I'd send it back for a full refund and walk away.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:40 AM   #10
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
OP, it just comes down to what YOU think is reasonable. When you buy a used part, you buy a used part. What some folks here are saying is "well yeah, I know it's used, but it looks "too used" and I want it to look "newer".

Its kind of ridiculous. It's an exchange, not a refurbished product. Also, the parts that you are concerned about

A. do not affect the function of the steering wheel
B. ARE NOT VISIBLE when the horn and airbag go back on.
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
Old 08-04-2019, 11:18 AM   #11
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
OP, it just comes down to what YOU think is reasonable. When you buy a used part, you buy a used part. What some folks here are saying is "well yeah, I know it's used, but it looks "too used" and I want it to look "newer".

Its kind of ridiculous. It's an exchange, not a refurbished product. Also, the parts that you are concerned about

A. do not affect the function of the steering wheel
B. ARE NOT VISIBLE when the horn and airbag go back on.
Completely agree.

I am disappointed but the affected areas are not visible and the only functional part affected (volume) I don't use. I am keeping my original in case something goes wrong.

I feel the need to share this issue with others just in case it's a pattern, but I don't feel strongly enough to send it back or complain to Wildhammer.

Ultimately this is a matter of expectation. If I "knew" this was what I was getting, I'd still buy again just because I want the CF look.

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
Old 08-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #12
speedraider

Drives: 2016 Z06, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
If I paid 1000 and was disappointed enough to post that review, I would send it back.
100%
Old 08-04-2019, 01:08 PM   #13
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
That looks a bit rough, I'd send it back!
Old 08-04-2019, 01:21 PM   #14
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
I would be annoyed at first if i got this after paying $1000. That’s a lot of dough.

I’d reach out to them and see about getting a different one.

Glad you’re posting this, although Wildhammer has a good reputation it’s good for the community to share this without bashing the company. Keeps the companies on their game and it helps us manage our expectations a little better.

Reach out to them and see what they say. Is suspect they’ll do the right thing and send you a better one.

By the way, I love the red shift paddles!! That was the first mod I did to mine, the red looks great poking out behind the wheel.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413

Closed Thread