Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #29
camarovette

Drives: 2010 Camaro,06 Vette, 04 SSR
I have it on both my vettes, LOVE IT, and I hope we can retro fit the 2010 camaro, depends on the cost for sure....
camarovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #30
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
I couldn't live w/o it. I really enjoy its integration with the vette's Nav system.

Once you drive with one you miss it in every other car you drive.

Tom
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #31
johnh

Drives: 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Yep...loved it on my GTPs.
johnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:32 PM   #32
Ron66Vette&10SS
Plays with Hot Wheels

Drives: '17 Jet Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisinc View Post
And I am assuming you have the option of turning this HUD feature completely off when you don't want to use it right?
Yes you can.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #33
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
i just had a vette for the weekend and it had the HUD. i've got to tell you that it makes driving the car way more fun. you feel like you are in such a modern machine (almost like a race car or a fighter jet). the best part is that you can churn through the gears and the rpms without having to look down ONCE.

it's phenomenal.

i can only hope that us guys that bought a 2010 1ss are able to retrofit this thing to our cars. you guys think that's gonna be possible.?
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:39 PM   #34
CUPRA

Drives: '21 Bronco OBX/'18 Jeep GC Altitude
I am considering placing my order tomorrow... but I am also considering holding on till the end of the month, so that I could have the HUD by ordering a 2011. Just wish I knew how much more the 2011 is going to be!
CUPRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:41 PM   #35
n!ght r!der
That Guy

Drives: really good
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I had it on my C5 and I loved it but what Al says is right, Anytime I wore my polarized glasses it would be tough to see.

It really is a great feature, if it was something I could easily and relatively cheaply (under $500) do to upgrade my 2010 I would do it. But its not a deal breaker, and I can live without it too...
The cheapest HUD you can get is a phone app. I can't tell you how good it works, but I know there are a couple for the iphone and phones running android os.
n!ght r!der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #36
Deemos

Drives: 2010 CGM M6 LS
My dad's Buick has it. It's pretty cool and all but for some reason I still personally prefer the old fashioned gauges. The hud, like our FLIR on the aircraft, is susceptible to sun washout during the hours near dusk and dawn. If you don't plan on driving very early in the morning or early evening then it shouldn't be a problem. I just hope that the version they have installed in these cars are better in reliability than the ones we have in our aircraft. At least they are mandatory to use like in our aircraft.
Deemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #37
CLEAN

Drives: '19 Stingray '22 MB GLC 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post

i can only hope that us guys that bought a 2010 1ss are able to retrofit this thing to our cars. you guys think that's gonna be possible.?
I'm sure it will be in time. To upgrade the non HUD vettes, its about $400 in parts, and it's a DIY project. The industrious folks here should have the procedures done before too long.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #38
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Did not have a need for it before i had not. Now that I have it, it is something that is VERY useful.
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:03 AM   #39
op z

Drives: Corvette
For those considering this mod, you will find that once you drive a car with the HUD you will wonder how you were able to live without it. I installed one on my C6 Corvette and now I rarely ever use the speedometer and tach. The HUD is adjustable up/down, brightness is ajustable and it does not require a special windshield. The windshield rumor was rampant on the Corvette forums too. The may be some minor improvement with the "special windshield", but not enough to warrant changing the windshield or delaying installation of this mod.

The Corvette HUD requires splicing of 6 conductors from a custom harness into the existing wiring behind the instrument panel speedometer/tach. The ability to install a HUD into a 2010 Camaro will depend on whether the threaded mounting posts for the projector are there for the 2010 model. I suspect they are. The projector requires a fairly large piece of real estate behind the instrument panel. Since the HUD was planned for the Camaro from the beginning, it makes sense that the posts are there.

If the posts are there, the install will require installing the control switch, projector, custom wiring harness, and whatever mod is needed for the dashboard. The mod only takes a couple hours to install on a Corvette. It should be similar for a Camaro. If someone has a wiring diagram for the connectors behind the speedometer/tach, we can start working on the harness. I have manufactured and sold over 50 HUD harnesses on the Corvette forum. I am confident that Camaro harness will be doable. I suspect the dash piece may be the most costly part of this mod for 2010 Camaros. For the Corvette, the total cost of the mod is $375 for all the parts.

There is one other challenge. GM does not allow the dealers to sell the projectors for installation into non-HUD cars. Some dealers listen to GM and refuse to sell the projectors. There are others that work with the forums to get this mod into their rides.

For the time being, I need more information. Are the mounting posts there in the 2010 Camaros? Has anyone had their dash apart? Does anyone have a service manual showing the instrument panel connector wiring?
op z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:36 AM   #40
VetteMark

Drives: 84 Z28 H.O. / 11 IOM GS Vette Conv.
Send a message via ICQ to VetteMark
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badSS/RS View Post
Love the HUD in the 09 Vette. It should be standard or availble on all cars IMHO. It was part of an option package so I am not sure exactly how much it would cost as an individual option. A great driving and safety device. You never have to take your eyes off of the road to check speed or directions on the Navigation.
Right on!! Love the lateral g meter in it also. Just wish it would show g's in all directions thou.
NKDPBG / Ordered-05.15.09 / Status-Delivered
2SS/RS IOM, 6AT, IO Int, Roof
VetteMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #41
sprtplt

Drives: Corvette
Had it on one Corvette, and not on another. It is nice, not really any downside other than the greater cost of a HUD windshield (if you had to buy one and pay for it yourself).
But, on the Corvette without it I honestly never missed not having it. If you buy any C6 Corvette without HUD it is possible to retrofit even without changing out the windshield.
Too bad it looks like that won't be as easy on the 2010 Camaros.
sprtplt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:18 PM   #42
oyealiz

Drives: c7 3LT, manual, vert
Send a message via AIM to oyealiz Send a message via Yahoo to oyealiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
I couldn't live w/o it. I really enjoy its integration with the vette's Nav system.

Tom
And I feel the opposite! I had it on one of my c5 vettes, and I have it on my c6. Nothing I'd pay extra money for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtplt View Post
But, on the Corvette without it I honestly never missed not having it.
I agree. I'm not even sure I use it on my c6...it's just there. At least I can verify that it's easy to "look through!"
oyealiz is offline   Reply With Quote