Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > International Regions > UK

Old 04-14-2019, 09:09 AM   #1
Mevans

Drives: 2014 SS
Side Repeaters

Hi Guys,
First post and its a question I am afraid!
I will be heading back to the UK soon and plan on bringing my Camaro with me from Abu Dhabi. It is a GCC spec car, but is identical to a US spec model. I have the most of the IVA stuff put to bed and had a mechanic give it a mock MOT a few weeks ago.
The one thing I am stuck with is the side repeater rule. I don’t fancy cutting into the panels and have seen cars for sale in the UK without side repeaters fitted. Is this a viable option or am I likely to have it failed without side repeaters on the wing?
If I do need them, what are everyone’s suggestions on the best solution?

This is my pride and joy btw, 2014 2SS with a couple of Z28 upgrades.

https://imgur.com/7UP5hLA

Appreciate your help!

Mat
Attached Images

Last edited by Mevans; 04-14-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Mevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:10 PM   #2
Yellow 1
Grumpy Grey-haired Guy

Drives: Camaro, Corvette & Merc C300(daily)
Hello Mat! Welcome to C5UK - a few experts on here regarding IVA lighting trickery; I'm sure they'll chime in. I have a UK export model so mine are in the door mirror housings; I know some of the guys have replicated the idea - prob a bit nicer solution than drilling virgin metal. When are you shipping her back to Blighty? Whereabouts in the UK are you going to be based? There's a small but thriving (and exclusive!) fifth gen community and also on Fb. Cheers, Ed.
PS; Nice looking car - love the rims.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:39 AM   #3
johndm

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Hi Mevans, welcome to the forum

You could try and find some euro spec mirrors which have repeater built in, but they are rather larger than US spec.

Some have small LED's drilled into the existing housing.

I have used the existing side markers to retain the full US spec look.

It seems some IVA testers will pass, some will fail. Read somewhere that one guy temporarily attached a small plastic prism to scatter the light more.

The rule is repeater must be a certain percentage visible if you stand approximately 1 metre to the left or right of the rear of the car. I think this is where some testers pass and some fail.

The downside of converting them to repeaters means you lose the marker at night time. However, there is a module available to make them dual function, see my video link below, and also link to the module and light diagram from IVA manual

Hope this helps,

Cheers, John

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/...rkerflash.html
Attached Images

johndm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:41 AM   #4
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
I think what you need is the DRL flasher shown above. It makes the side marker lights repeaters when the turn signal is used. Here’s a link to my install of it
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495607
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #5
Uk Blown SS

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Mine have always used the front markers and was IVA tested in that way. Your car is really small by the way. What scale is it ?
Uk Blown SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:31 AM   #6
Mevans

Thanks all, I will take a look at the suggestions for using the side markers. I was a little concerned they were too far forward for the IVA, but if its worked for others, it should work for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk Blown SS View Post
Your car is really small by the way. What scale is it ?
That’s the biggest drivable Land Rover in the world supposedly, seems to have a lot less rust than a normal sized one too!
Old 04-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
Mevans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow 1 View Post
Hello Mat! Welcome to C5UK - a few experts on here regarding IVA lighting trickery; I'm sure they'll chime in. I have a UK export model so mine are in the door mirror housings; I know some of the guys have replicated the idea - prob a bit nicer solution than drilling virgin metal. When are you shipping her back to Blighty? Whereabouts in the UK are you going to be based? There's a small but thriving (and exclusive!) fifth gen community and also on Fb. Cheers, Ed.
PS; Nice looking car - love the rims.
Thanks Ed,
Will probably end up in the South of England or South Wales. Waiting for the right position to come up and she will probably go on the boat a week or two before I leave. Interesting thought with the mirrors, I believe the wiring is already there thanks to the Euro spec car, so would just have to modify the mirror itself, I will most likely go down the side marker route, but will keep this in mind if the IVA tester doesn’t like that option.
The wheels are Z28 reps, would have loved to own a real one, but the SS is plenty quick enough for now!
Old 04-22-2019, 03:29 PM   #8
Joe90

Drives: Yellow 5th gen ss
Hi Mat, when I got mine IVA'd a few years back the tester failed the side repeaters being in the side marker location, so had to pop a hole in the front fender and wire it in. The IVA testers 'test' is he will stand at rear corner of Camaro and if it is not visible its a fail(which technically is correct). Also failed on fog light/function but that was a whole different issue ��
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #9
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Hi Mat, when I got mine IVA'd a few years back the tester failed the side repeaters being in the side marker location, so had to pop a hole in the front fender and wire it in. The IVA testers 'test' is he will stand at rear corner of Camaro and if it is not visible its a fail(which technically is correct). Also failed on fog light/function but that was a whole different issue ��
Did you see the video of my sidemarker repeaters in post 4? Are you saying they wouldn’t pass a IVA test ...whatever that is as I’m from the other Jersey across the pond

Also when your car failed was it a Camaro?
Old 04-22-2019, 04:25 PM   #10
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Did you see the video of my sidemarker repeaters in post 4? Are you saying they wouldn’t pass a IVA test ...whatever that is as I’m from the other Jersey across the pond

Also when your car failed was it a Camaro?
Yeah IVA (individual Vehical Approval) is what most import vehicles need to pass when coming into the UK, when I imported my 2010 Camaro SS it failed because the side marker cannot be seen from this position [IMG][/IMG]

As you can see I had to put in a separate marker on the front fender to get it through, whether I just had a jobsworth on my test I'll never know lol (I believe that's why the euro spec Camaro has the bigger mirrors with the indicators in)
Old 04-22-2019, 06:45 PM   #11
johndm

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Yeah IVA (individual Vehical Approval) is what most import vehicles need to pass when coming into the UK, when I imported my 2010 Camaro SS it failed because the side marker cannot be seen from this position [IMG][/IMG]

As you can see I had to put in a separate marker on the front fender to get it through, whether I just had a jobsworth on my test I'll never know lol (I believe that's why the euro spec Camaro has the bigger mirrors with the indicators in)
Wrong Joe, see my post above with IVA test page. You stand approx. 1m to left or right of the end of the vehicle, see the 5 to 60 degree arc
johndm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:26 PM   #12
camguynj

Quote:

Hey Joe, Thanks for the explanation and pic. Maybe you could take it for IVA on an overcast day LOL Can you post a pic of the front marker you installed
Old 04-23-2019, 01:54 AM   #13
redleader
redleader

Drives: 2010
Where on the side?
Can see it in that rear end photo :-(
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:49 AM   #14
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndm View Post
Wrong Joe, see my post above with IVA test page. You stand approx. 1m to left or right of the end of the vehicle, see the 5 to 60 degree arc
I agree John this is what I told the tester, but his interpretation of it is because the wheel arch flares out it blocks out the marker at the 5° angle.
I didn't argue with the man as it had failed on fog light function anyway so needed a retest and I've sealed the hole and used the marker now as it passes MOT rules